If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Churnet Valley in 2013

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by lil Bear, Dec 9, 2012.

1. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for the info' !!

2. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Is the N7 fit and well again for this Saturday, I visited last weekend and it had a minor air pump fault...?

Thanks!

3. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    The Air Pump has had issues, but when required we have been putting the 33 out solely as a translating vehicle (except the Cauldon trips).

4. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    The CVR is also having it's own internal event at Cheddleton on Monday 24th and Tuesday 25th June. Same rules apply though a hi-vis vest is also required.

5. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Is 69621 working Saturday?

Thanks

6. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    It's rostered to, but as you're probably aware there have been issues with the air pump which is causing much head scratching. I know I spent an entire Friday on shed whilst the staff fixed it and we then had it running for a good 6/7hrs after no issues, came to fire her Sunday and it kept stopping.

I'm lead to believe she managed to operate all of Wednesday's trains, so touch wood she should be ok for the weekend. How local are you? Maybe check the webcams before setting off, or try ringing the office just to make sure?

7. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Thanks again, I live just south of Leeds, nice run through Buxton and Chapel, over the moors........ it adds to the entertainment if there's some uncertainty ?

Might try again tomorrow if the weather's fine

8. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Made the trip to Cheddleton today, 69621 out and working well, good to see plenty of visitors there too!

9. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    Good to hear you finally got a day without her having to make a visit to the shed!

DMU out on Wednesday on Education Day and afternoon Driver Exp, with steam returning for next weekend's Velocipede Rally.
    6046 is now back on her wheels, and it is hoped to have her in steam by Saturday though whether that is just as a steam test or on service trains is yet to be seen. N7 on standby though so steam is guaranteed. I'm firing Sunday if anyone decides to visit.

Otherwise the only other major work I was informed of on Sunday is that 5197 has been lifted off her wheels, utilising the crane we had onsite to rewheel 6046. Her wheels are now being worked on as her overhaul progresses. There is an outside chance she'll be back for early next year, but we'll have to see how things go. Plenty going on though at Cheddleton!

Coincidentally, work has also restarted on 47524 and the guys involved have created a Facebook Group to keep those interested uptodate with the latest going ons.
    https://www.facebook.com/ChurnetValleyDiesels?fref=ts

10. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    This coming weekend is our monthly Cauldon Weekend, and will see 2x steam hauled services to Cauldon and back each day.
    Haulage is hoped to be by 6046, which was being steam tested over the weekend whilst the N7 hauled the service trains. '46 is expected to be working for Education Day and Midweek services on Wednesday to help run her in. Video of 6046 on the Cauldon branch below. CVR services will be operated by the 104 DMU.

We are now into our main running season, with services every Wednesday and Weekends for all of July and August. Services will be shared between the N7 and 6046 with the DMU supplementing where a 2-train service is required. Our next major event is the Rail Ale Trail, which a press release has been released for including mention of the bus shuttle from Leek;
    http://www.churnet-valley-railway.co.uk/news/railaletrail-hits-cheddleton

11. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member

12. lil Bear

Railway Technician
  13. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    6046 in action this weekend up Cauldon Lowe, with DMU operating 3 return trips along CVR.

For the photographers amongst you, there is an evening diner up Cauldon tonight, dep. from Cheddleton around 1930.

14. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Are the TKH's more with Froghall - Leekbrook in mind ? I'd be surprised if they could do Cauldon with a reasonable load.

15. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    Sorry for the delay in replying, been on holiday and collecting bits and pieces from around the country for the CVR.

Yes the TkHs have been purchased with Leek - Froghall services in mind. They may well venture up Cauldon on special occasions, but as we'll have 2x S160s by this time next year and an 8F not far behind there is no huge need for them to go up Cauldon.

16. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    As I've been away, I'll try and give a brief update.

Weekend just gone saw the return of the CVR Rail Ale Trail. A DMU service ran Saturday Evening (apologies for not posting this), whilst the DMU and 6046 shared the daytime services. The sun shone all weekend and Saturday was exceedingly warm from the footplate for myself and 34015. I was relieved halfway through the day and was most grateful to escape the heat, 34015 though somehow managed to survive all day on there! However, the trains were very full and in the end we were being delayed by the sheer volume of passengers getting on/off the trains though we managed to get back within 5 minutes by the time I left Saturday.

In the sheds, the N7 recently passed her yearly boiler exam. We are now just finishing repairs to her air pump before she is returned to service where she will be the mainstay loco for the rest of the summer trains including August Cauldon Lowe dates. It is hoped to have repairs complete in time for Wednesday, but 6046 is on standby if needed.

5197 and 2944 have both recently seen working parties on them, with both boilers expected to be lifted either this week or next. After that work will continue with their respective overhauls with 5197 expected back first half of next year and 2944 for Santas next year provided we find no hidden nasties.

Elsewhere in the shed Chris Moxon is nearing completion with his Oyster Brake Van (I'll leave him to comment further), whilst Rob is also continuing with the overhaul of Brightside which has now been moved onto display outside the shed in Cheddleton. The LMS BG is moving ahead with the frame now shotblasted in the yard and the body undergoing repairs in the shed. The 47 has also seen a working party too so plenty going on in the MPD!

Away from the sheds, the CVR Moorlander Dining Train has recently won an award! Despite what the article says though there is still some limited availability on selected trains. If you wish to sample this award-winning service please ring the office for further details
    http://www.churnet-valley-railway.co.uk/news/award-winning-dining-train
    http://www.churnet-valley-railway.co.uk/lunch-dining-cream-teas

We are now into our main operating season, and except further Dining Trains are next special event is Cauldon Lowe running at the beginning of August which will feature N7 and one of our 33s Top & Tailing over the Cauldon Branch (sample video below).

And finally Bradnop Station Sign has arrived, which is to be erected in August. If anyone wants to get involved in the Bradnop Station Project please pm me and I'll let you know the details :)

A selection of photos to show some of the items mentioned above;
    SAM_2262.JPG SAM_2263.JPG SAM_2264.JPG SAM_2381.JPG

34015 likes this.
  17. jamesd

jamesd Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks for the comprehensive update, very interesting. Any reason why 6046 isn't out much this year?

18. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    She's off on her holidays to NYMR some point in August and wont return to CVR until the end of October (think it's planned for her to return in time for Ghost Train 26th).

As we wont be running much in Sept/Oct it makes sense as NYMR will still be running daily and so she'll earn more in this period than she would of done at CVR. Plus the N7 is more than capable for the majority of our services but should any issues arise, as we don't run daily we have enough time to make any necessary repairs.

19. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Really - is it coming on that fast?

20. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    Not at present, all effort is being concentrated on 5197 (and 2944). But once '97 is running 48173 will be brought up from the other end of the yard and work started on her. However everything is being made easier by the collection of parts needed for her overhaul ongoing now, and the aim is to take 18months - 2yrs for her to be running. Sounds optimistic, but Greg has a habit of pulling off surprises. We did an intermediate overhaul on 5199 in 4 months back in 2010, so I wouldn't put it past him to have all 3 of his locos running early 2016.