If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NRM York Regeneration

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by Dan Hamblin, Jan 9, 2018.

1. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

Blue Peter with a single chimney? I thought she was built with the Double Kylchap arrangement? What a wonderful lineup though, complete with B16...

2. Miff

Miff Well-Known Member Friend

Reading the OP’s link again it does say there will be (but doesn’t say where) a new collection store, and 70 vehicles will have to move there during the build. Let’s hope there is still room somewhere for active engineering and restoration, not just tinkering.

This country needs more Engineers and the NRM has an educational remit. Surely this museum should include something about the doing of engineering, not just the outcome. Civils & Sparks too, why not.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    26D_M, RLinkinS and Hampshire Unit like this.
  3. RLinkinS

RLinkinS New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    2018 is the Year of Engineering and the NRM are proposing to do away with the space where engineering is carried out. To me a "Wonderlab" sounds rather naff. They used to have something similar in the building in the South yard but that now seems to have been taken away. I think you need to let people see some real heavy dirty engineering. Too many people these days have no opportunity to understand what was involved in the past or indeed what is involved now. Whatever computers and robots do for us there is always going to be a requirement for hands on big engineering. With the budget being talked about and the space potentially being made available there should be room for the Wonderlab and a real workshop. With imagination it should be possible to link them both and enthuse future engineers.

Matt37401, Miff and Bluenosejohn like this.