If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Royal Duchy series 2014

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by mike1522, Jun 23, 2014.

1. MAPLE CHRIS

MAPLE CHRIS Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Tangmere left bristol on time and in bright sunshine no diesel on the back

2. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Very good run to Exeter. Even time Yatton to Taunton and then 38 min at Whiteball. 5 early Exeter. NO DL on the back
    Oh joy

Don

Spamcan81 and KentYeti like this.
  3. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Was at the top of Sole Street bank when she stormed over the top. Spectacular!

Someone I know from real steam days said after that run he needed to go and lie down in a darkened room.

4. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

A difficult one AL. If there are issues with Tangy and/or the operation of her at the moment, they need sorting first, IMHO. Too late to reduce the train load tomorrow now if there is something that needs addressing.

Although the run reported by big Bruvver Don above suggests all must have been well on the outward leg today.

5. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

1 early at Ivybridge on RTT so looks like its going well

6. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

9 early Plymouth without doing much really. 16 over Dainton and 17.6 Tigley. Blowing off steam at Rattery. Overall a good competent performance with load 9 for 322 tare so over the 315 limit. Full train so probably 345 tons gross.

So there WCR and NR. It can be done.

Don

7. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

A good friend of mine who has had many runs with 34067 always spoke of her as a Jeckel & Hyde . Even on the same day she could be dire on one leg , yet a loco transformed on the return

8. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    True. With Tangmere it has a lot to do with how she is handled and the driver sensing what cut off she is working in rather than what the reverser is saying. There is a difference!

9. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

To be fair Bryan, with the lineside vegetation as it is now and the seeming early onset of autumn this year, possible adhesion issues maybe played a part in the decision with the ACE.

KentYeti likes this.
  10. JohnDevon

JohnDevon New Member

13 up at Plymouth on the return. Think I might go across to Dainton.........

11. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

I was on a trip to Ely in Devember 2009 outwood Tommy Farr driving and we had a good run On the return it was terrible and we were back very late. Tommy did not like the reverser but managed to get her to perform.

12. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Yes indeed there is a difference and you certainly don't believe what the reverser says. I suspect that a lot of this is down to the driver. Ray Churchill is of course a master in the Fred Hoare class. At no point this morning did Tangmere sound like she was being pushed. Quietly got into speed and then a bit more noise on Dainton and Tigley.

I remember being on the footplate of unrebuilt 34006 with Dave Parsons on a Basingstoke to Woking fast when we were doing 95 mph at Fleet. I looked at the reverser and couldn't really see how it was set, so I asked him and he said 'Oh I just left it where it settled and it sounded right'. Exactly what you are saying Al.

Don

KentYeti likes this.
  13. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

That's amongst the reasons all would have been rebuilt if other plans hadn't come along.

But at least those plans meant some of us, Big Bruvver and myself very much included, enjoyed what could be a wonderfully good loco when in half decent condition and in the hands of someone who knew them well.

And not so as well too! 34102 "Lapford", was, If I recall correctly, totally knackered when the much liked "Boy" Gaffney, the "New Cross Lip", Nine Elms No 4 link, unmercifully thrashed that unrebuilt up to 100 mph on a Basingstoke to Woking start to stop run. Goodness only knows what cut off it was in.

And not long before I'd had perhaps an even better run with the same loco, with Clive Groome in control, when we got close to 99 mph between Farnborough Main and Sturt Lane Junction. Better, because he was trying different settings and speed fluctuated a bit until he got to the final level stretch where we reached the maximum. And he didn't make a fast start from Basingstoke!, we hadn't reached 80 by Hook, but had got to 98 mph just after Fleet before changed settings brought speed down to 96 mph, before the level track burst to the final maximum.

So I guess we should all be grateful that we still have examples of Bulleids original design to travel behind from time to time these days, like today for some. And that even on the Jarvis rebuilds, that original Bulleid boiler is still capable of producing steam in vast amounts when the right coal is used etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014
  14. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

Tangmere on Hemerdon this evening. One word. INCREDIBLE! It sounded like a very fast ascent from the loop, though those on board will be able to confirm/deny.

Video to follow!

James

KentYeti likes this.
  15. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Had experience of this on a CE to Weymouth some years ago (1-8-2007). 34067 was on magnificent form on the outward run with the driver really making her rasp. The best I have heard her work on the trips I have done with her. The departure from Winchfield and run to Basingstoke was one of the best I have had. Yet on the return run it was like a different loco had been put on the front. She struggled for steam and primed a few times. Sadly the latter performance was the 34067 I had been used to.

16. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Can't wait James. Bring it on!

17. Hemerdon

Hemerdon Member Friend

Retired
    Here’s my video of the run on the 7th. On the outward run the location is by the River Teign, but the light is poor. On the return the location is on the lower part of Hemerdon, great sound as Tangmere attacks the climb.

KentYeti likes this.
  18. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Sounds superb. Has anybody got any details of the climb, the most difficult of the South Devon banks?

Don

Hemerdon likes this.
  19. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Wonderful! And safety valves just lifting too.

Hemerdon likes this.
  20. dublo6231

dublo6231 Member

IT
    If RTT times are to be believed - looks like a storming run - just over 61 mins start to stop from Plymouth to Exeter St Davids!