If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Bath Christmas Market - 10/12

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by sweetktg, Dec 9, 2011.

1. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Something to do with route perhaps? With Tangmere today down the Brighton line even a minor delay would of caused significant knock on delays, even on a Saturday.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Part of the furniture

Well Tangmere departed Salisbury this evening on time with the 37 just ticking over. The usual Bulleid slip was soon caught and they were off into the crisp darkness of the Wiltshire countryside.

3. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    [​IMG]

No need to get all stressed because someone didn't agree with your rather negative and unhelpful world view...

4. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Could the Diesel pushing be specific to Tangmere in poor railhead conditions ?, Bulleids have a slip happy reputation and 34067 itself has come to grief on more than a few hills in it's Mainline career.

5. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

I really dont understand why you have to be so utterly childish about it, its embarrassing. After all, you dont need to be a mind reader to see the logic behind the decision - just think about her recent troubles while looking out the window, and remember the damage done to mainline steam's reputation recently.

Chris

6. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Posts #13 & #15, pushing at Keynsham & Bath. Not exactly Lickey are they?

7. buseng

Retired
    Don't read it then!

8. buseng

Retired
    I hope you are not trying to suggest anything with that picture. I am entitled to my opinion like everyone else, not asking you to agree. At least I don't keep posting personal remarks about people if I don't agree with them.

9. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No need for Tangmere to screw up the Brighton line today, the signal failure at Haywards Heath shortly afterwards managed that all on its own.

10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Remember your squabbles can be searched on google for the whole world to see...longer than after we may have removed them.

Put the handbags down, go to the bathroom and apply fresh lipstick before someone sees you.

11. 5944

[​IMG]

Balcombe viaduct this morning, just as the sun rose up.

12. lappinp

lappinp New Member

Thats a stunning photo, congratulations as it must have been freezing.

13. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

14. alts1985

Agreed, that last clip in your video is very nice, I guess that was at a foot crossing, bet that was fun to walk to in the dark! Super shot from Balcombe Viaduct Nigel. Went out to Shoreham and Hassocks tonight, will upload video tonight and post tomorrow.

15. 5944

Cheers for the comments. Yep, it was cold! I had hoped the exhaust would lift a bit more but she wasn't working at this point. Still, worth the 5am wake up call I think!

16. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Keynsham enjoyed a dry day with occasional sunshine. In the evening when Tangmere passed through, the skies were cloudy. It was certainly not icy. The line has been cleared of excessive vegetation for fear of slip slidy units and HSTs coming to grief. The line is as flat as a pancake.

On Friday, on a similarly graded stretch of railway, we watched Clan Line haul 13 VSOE coaches and a class 67 diesel. The 67 was dead in tow.

A diesel at the rear of the train at this time of year is sensible for insurance purposes. But for the sake of the punters aboard let it be used only when necessary. The racket of the diesel this evening must have been very annoying for anyone sitting in the second half of the train. <BJ>

17. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Beautiful picture. Don't normally see pictures from that side of Balcombe Viaduct so it makes a nice change. Sadly didn't go out to see her again and sadly didn't hear her either as the maisonette I am living in is a few minutes walk from the station and you can hear trains leaving or going through sometimes.

Things were back to normal around 15:00 when I went to Brighton so it didn't do much damage. I think Tangmere did arrive at Haywards Heath late this morning but these trips usually do.

18. alts1985

19. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

There was no hint of a diesel for the Southend-Winchester-Eastleigh tour today. 70000 Britannia proved that despite the frost, falling leaves et al that a diesel on the back was not necessary.

Congratulations to Steam Dreams for producing the spectacle of a steam train as it was always meant to be - wonderful!

As for the diesel pushing the Bath Market Special, the driver must have been asked to push when it did because those are the rules. I would have thought Tangmere is quite capable of pulling its train certainly away from places like Bath Spa without the intervention of the box. Maybe there was a problem with Tangmere. If not, then it was unforgivable and an insult to the paying passengers.

Nick

20. J Shuttleworth

J Shuttleworth Member

Gentlemen

Where you to see the bills for performance, which we (and DBS, too) regularly receive, you might begin to understand the reasons for diesels being taken as insurance. We do not make these decisions (which are incidentally, the responsibility of the operating company, not the promoter) lightly or, indeed, merely to wind up members of this forum, although, given the nature and, by definition, narrow perspective of this forum, the latter is usually inevitable.

Remember, it is now over 43 years since the end of regular main line steam operations and the current level of steam charter work is currently at an all-time high - and as I deal with all WCR's charters, I should know - but if we took to heart all the hue & cry from the vocal minority of keyboard warriors on this type of forum, we'd have probably said what's the point and given up long ago. Indeed, if you had taken part in the incident enquiry into the East Coast fires, as I did, you would have reached that decision there and then.

Nobody plans to fail but many fail to plan. On an increasingly congested and divisive network, we simply cannot afford to take chances any more; if it were that good and easy, where's the queue of willing new operators, just waiting to jump in?

JS

RalphW and gwalkeriow like this.