If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

ÖSlJ, Mariefred, Sweden

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by Dag Bonnedal, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Dag Bonnedal

Dag Bonnedal New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Östra_Södermanlands_Järnväg
    http://www.oslj.nu/
    The prime steam locomotive news for our little railway during 2017, was that we finally after 6 months work, in December could sign a new agreement with the Swedish National Railway Museum for a renewal of the loan of the world’s only surviving original Decauville type 8 Mallet; Kosta Lessebo Jernväg No. 2, Lessebo. We have had this locomotive since 2003 and the new agreement will let us have it for another 25 years and thereafter with 10 years termination notice.

This long time horizon will let us plan the investments needed to get this unique locomotive in good order. So far we have only been able to use it to a very limited extent. We have examined the boiler and it is basically sound although parts of it are original from 1891. Currently the loco is out of service waiting for a new set of tubes. Further, the running gear and machinery is quite run down, thus a large amount of work is needed to get it into shape.

None of these Decauville Mallets were actually built by Decauville. Most of them were built by Tubize in Belgium, some with Tubize’s own plates attached. Four were built under licence in Sweden and Lessebo was built in 1891 by Munktells in Eskilstuna, nowadays Volvo Construction Equipment. There is a good reason why this is the only surviving loco of the type, the design is a bit old-fashioned and very “French”. Not robust or service friendly.

Second news for another unique locomotive was that we got No. 10 Avesta / Hunneberg back in service. This is to the best of our knowledge, the only surviving of the once numerous small Orenstein & Koppel, 20 hp, six-coupler. This type was specifically designed for long forest railway built with very light rails of only 7 kg/m (15 lb/yd). The loco has undergone boiler repair, including new tubes, smokebox etc. Chimeny, boiler saddle and handbrake had been replaced by the previous owner with ugly welded designs. We have now been able to replace them with original O&K cast iron pieces of the correct types. The loco has been out of service since 2003 and was now reintroduced last September. The loco performed excellently, but needs replenishing of the limited water supplies on the 23 km roundtrip of our line. It is too small for our regular service, but is a very nice supplement on our steam galas.

Recently we got our workshop and PW blog up and running again. It was lost during the renewal of our home page. There you may find lots of pictures, but text only in Swedish. Please feel free to ask if you want to know more about any of the jobs.
    http://museijarnvagenimariefred.se

Coming May we will start our sixtieth traffic season, when we started in 1959 we were one of the first amateur operated railways (at least outside Wales).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  2. 30854

30854 Part of the furniture

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    That's a lovely line you've got there and one to be very proud of. I'm guessing your crews need good knees to oil round some of that little loco!

Have to say, the website is not only attractive and very well laid out, but fantastically responsive too. The switch to English was instantaneous on my Android .... which makes a pleasant change. (sorry, but my knowledge of all the Scandanavian languages is nil)

Dag Bonnedal likes this.
  3. Dag Bonnedal

Dag Bonnedal New Member

Thank you for kind comments.
    The English version of our website was launched only two days ago, I will forward your appreciation to the guys responsible for the job.
    ... and yes, we have slightly elevated tracks in the loco running shed to facilitate the oiling around.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  4. Dag Bonnedal

Dag Bonnedal New Member

30854 and The Saggin' Dragon like this.
  5. wcmlbls1846

wcmlbls1846 Active Member

Dag Bonnedal likes this.
  6. Dag Bonnedal

Dag Bonnedal New Member

Thanks for nice pictures, all those steam ships in and around Stockholm are rather unique and well worth seeing.
    Just checked the records, I was the driver of No. 4, K.M. Nelsson that day (best loco on the roster).
    I am standing with my fireman next to the loco in pic. No. 31.

If you visit us, please feel free to ask if you can have a guided tour in the workshop etc. If we have someone available we try to arrange it.

7. Dag Bonnedal

Dag Bonnedal New Member

It has been a long, hot and dry summer in Sweden so far. Almost no rain and long periods of 30+ degrees.
    Most preserved railways in Sweden have not been able to run much steam service, some rain the last week has eased up the situation in some places.

Due to a combination of lucky circumstances, we have in Mariefred been able to run steam every traffic day so far. Since 20th July we have had to run diesel on the longer section Läggesta - Taxinge (longer grades and more adjacent woodland), but we keep running steam between Mariefred and Läggesta. Thus most passengers have the opportunity to ride behind steam the whole or part of the journey.

IMG_4587s.jpg
    First train of the day leaves Mariefred at 10 a.m. Sunday 22nd July heading for Taxing, 11 km away. Powered by the Russian diesel TU4, ÖSlJ No. 21 Gaivoron.

IMG_4597s2.jpg
    Second train of the day leaves at 11 .a.m. heading for Läggesta, where it will meet the returning diesel train from Taxinge. ÖSlJ No. 2 Virå will run 6 return trips during the day.

Junior team August 2017.jpg
    Last year some of our younger members ran one of the trains one day in August, the average age of the driver, firewoman, guard and breakwoman was under 23 years.
    This year they take it one step further and on Friday 3rd August a team aged 16-26 will run the whole show on the railway for the whole day, and they are all well qualified to do it.
    This is very positive as the general problem for many volunteer organisations is the increasing average age of the members.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  8. Dag Bonnedal

Dag Bonnedal New Member

Bluenosejohn, gwalkeriow and 240P15 like this.
  9. garth manor

garth manor New Member

Thanks for these updates, great stuff from Tommi, must revisit to ride the Taxinge which wasn't open when I rode.

10. Dag Bonnedal

Dag Bonnedal New Member

Yea, the Taxinge line is kind of spectacular. Running along the south shore of the Gripsholm bay, with good views of Mariefred and the Gripsholm castle.
    But, although built as std. gauge, it has has hardly a flat, straight stretch. All curves and grades, the private company that built it in 1895 was very poor.
    Great fun to drive and fire.
    Could anyone guess from the last picture that this was a std. gauge , electrified line 20 years ago?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018 at 7:53 PM
    gwalkeriow likes this.