If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

‘Fellsman’ 2019.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Cal.N, Nov 8, 2018.

1. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    'The Fellsman' hauled by BR 7MT No.70000 'Britannia' on the 29th May 2019 seen climbing towards Wilpshire Summit and again at Langcliffe Cutting on the Settle & Carlisle Railway.

Video Available Here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. blink bonny

blink bonny Member

Britannia-(49)-Birkett-Common-casg.jpg Birkett on the return.

3. frazoulaswak

frazoulaswak Member

Retired (at last!)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Near Winwick during the latter stages of the return journey to Crewe.

EOS 5D Mark IV_190529_8720.jpg

Cheers,

4. Cal.N

Cal.N New Member

5. noelist

noelist Member

LGV C+E(FormerlyHGVClass1) Driver
    I'll just sneak this in here after midnight but there were no tripods at Langho, all photters in the way:-

6. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Nicely controlled climb of Wilpshire in 'orrible conditions by Keith Murfin. Friend onboard was told the summit was passed at 25.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    26D_M likes this.
  7. Fulwood Flyer

Fulwood Flyer New Member

Steady as a Rock, just yards from Wilpshire summit (a view from the station)

Wilpshire©2019 PA.jpg

8. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist

Having travelled on this yesterday from Leyland the train stopped at Blackburn (passenger pick-up); Chatburn (water stop); Hellifield (passenger pick-up); Appleby (passenger set-down and water stop from tanker); Carlisle then returning stops at Appleby (passenger pick-up and water stop from tower); Hellifield (passenger set down); Chatburn (water stop); Clitheroe (operating - passenger train in front); Blackburn (passenger set down) and Leyland (passenger set down). As noted by lineside observers a good run with a competent crew made for a good' experience for those on board.

1020 Shireman and Fulwood Flyer like this.
  9. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    The Fellsman 29 May 2019 – 70000 Britannia hauling 9+Gen+POB

In previous years Fellsmans were promoted by Statesman Rail, operated by WCRC and “picked up” passengers from Lancaster & Preston before branching off towards Blackburn for a return run over the S&C with steam all the way. Statesman was acquired by Jeremy Hosking and this is the first of the “new format” Fellsmans, originating in Crewe with pick ups at several stations on the WCML (including Leyland) before assuming an almost identical itinerary to previous years, operation is now in-house by LSL (again with steam all the way).

I had booked in standard class (from Leyland), but then I read Graham’s (@1020 Shireman) account of travelling on the Welsh Marches in standard, “coffins”, “swishing doors”, “Heart of Gold”, “Improbability Drive”. I didn’t fancy that, the sound of the exhaust via an open window is a near-essential part of the trip. I suspect that the Improbability Drive was still ticking over, around the “highly unlikely” level as I decided to spend some extra cash and try for an upgrade to First, a seat was available and I booked it. It was a cool and dry morning as I drove to Leyland (24 hr parking for a £1 – what a bargain). Britannia hove into view and stopped 3L. After drawing forward we were 6L when we left. Alas, my cunning plan failed, I was seated at the front of the 4th coach (E), a Mk 2; non opening windows, air con, swishing doors . . . but plenty of comfort, cups of tea, a lemon muffin, genoa cake – so not all bad!

A gentle trundle along the WCML and, even when running late, we crossed over and off at Farington Jn (8L), and again straight onto the Blackburn line at Lostock Hall Jn (10½L). In just under a mile of 1/224r 70000 had us up to 35 as we crossed the A6 at Bamber Bridge. Next comes almost 4 miles at 1/100r, the Brit was making plenty of noise and the chime whistle was sounding; just under 40 at Hospital Xng and up to 42.7 at Hoghton summit. [70000 with an identical load on the Pennine Moors Explorer (08 Dec 2018) made the climb at 36/7]. The run into Blackburn was mid 40s all the way; we stopped in Blackburn 12½L and after collecting more passengers we left 13¾L. We flattened the climb up to Wilpshire with a max of 37 before falling back to 34 as the gradient tightens to 1/73r towards the summit. It was a gentle run down the bank and onwards to Clitheroe to collect more passengers (arr 13L/dep 12L) and then a short run to our water stop at Chatburn. Water was taken from a tanker parked alongside the line opposite the former Chatburn Station, now Pendle Trading Estate. 15 mins after stopping watering was complete and we were underway. There was a good climb up the 1/101r through Rimington, topped at 44.6. We arrived at Hellifield and stopped for our final pick up (4½E).

Now for the exciting bit. We were departing from the platform line, so had a slight advantage over most trips that leave from the loop. Off we went (1¼E) and at once 70000 meant business, Long Preston, only 1¼ miles from the start, was passed at 48.2. 2 miles out and we were up to 57.6, still another 1¼ miles before the climb begins and a 60 mph line limit; Britannia was held in check then opened up as we passed Settle Jn SB (59.7 & 3E). We reached a maximum of 61 beyond the junction, now on the 1/100r and speed was holding very well, we stormed through Settle at 56.2, chime whistle sounding. Into Stainforth Tunnel at 49, then onto the tough stretch around Sheriff Brow where the gradient begins to hurt, but not today with a minimum of 45. Recovering at Helwith Bridge (45.5), then onto the level section and up to 50.6 before Crag Hill Farm, this was cracking stuff! Through Horton in R at 48.8 (3¾E), then with the brief easing in the gradient back up to 50, past Selside at 47.4 falling back slightly to 46.5 alongside the road at Selside Shaw. So rapid was our progress that we began to slow for Ribblehead (4¼E) and Batty Moss. Across the viaduct and past Blea Moor SB (31 & 5¾E), then we accelerated again and into Blea Moor Tunnel at 38. This was an exceptional climb; Settle Jn SB to Blea Moor SB 18m 19s, Settle Jn SB to Blea Moor Tunnel S 19m 44s. The only occasion when I have come up faster was on The Citadel (10 Nov 2018) when we covered SB to SB in 17m 47s, but with TWO Black 5s and only 9 coaches.

We exited Blea Moor Tunnel at 57, slowed in plenty of time for Dent, then away again and up to 59 at Garsdale (7E) and 60 as we crossed Dandry Mire Viaduct and up to Ais Gill summit (59.2). A good run down the hill with brake applications to keep us legal and by Crosby Garrett we were 8E, a slow run into Appleby saw us stop for water 7¾E. Water was taken from a tanker parked in the usual position alongside the north end of the platform. Time for a walk to the front to find out who had been responsible for this terrific run; driver Tony Jones, fireman Phil Murgatroyd, TI Sean Lavell + trainee fireman Dave Ward. Tony genuinely didn’t know if the run had been ok, I assured him that it was very, very good and that I had been up the Long Drag at half that speed. I had a good chat with Tony and Jim Smith who was also on board; we discussed some of the finer details of Tornado’s epic southbound climb of Shap (Border Raider) and Tornado’s recovery from the slack on Copy Pit (Mad Hatter). Just time to grab an ice cream (blackcurrant) and back to my seat.

We departed 1¼E and were soon up to line speed and gaining on schedule, through Lazonby at 60 down into the dip and power on with a min of 53.6 on the 1/165r beyond. We slowed around Armathwaite (TSR?) then had a final blast up to 61 at Howe & Co SB. We trundled past Petteril Bridge Jn and, arriving early at London Rd Jn, our booked 3 min stop increased to 6½ but we were still 3E as we crossed the junction before stopping in platform 3 at Carlisle (5E). A walk to the front revealed that a Royal Scot headboard was on the smokebox; I saw someone carrying the Saphos headboard down the platform at Appleby. Britannia and support were detached, headed north then returned down one of the centre roads. LSL class 47. D1944, Craftsman that had been waiting in the other centre road was hooked on the north end of the stock. 70000 propelling its support headed south and shortly afterwards D1944 took the stock to Kingmoor. Time for lunch, the Woodrow Wilson was beckoning. Suitably fed, it was time for a wander round the centre and then back to the station – as forecast there was a feel of rain in the air.

The stock was already in the platform and D1944 had vanished. Britannia and support arrived from the south and were coupled on. Mike Wylie was driving, James Cooper firing and Bob Hart was TI, Keith Murfin was also on the footplate and would be taking over driving duties from the Chatburn water stop. I had a brief chat with Mike and talk was about the excellent run up, I added that he would be hard pressed to to beat that. Time to take my seat, now at the rear of the 9th coach.

We set off RT and with just a hint of drizzle on the west side windows, surefootedly we headed south. Our booked 3 min pathing stop at Petteril Bridge Jn was not needed as the unit was waiting on the down line at London Rd Jn. Even 9 coaches back and with non-opening windows 70000 could be heard as she picked up speed, we crossed under the M6 at 31.8. Now on the 1/165r we passed Cumwhinton at 38, then ¾mile of level, the 1/165r returns shortly before Howe & Co SB (1E & 46.8). 8 miles out from Carlisle, we topped the 1/165r at 47, next downhill past Low House Xng SB at 56.1 and 61.6 in the dip, then power back on and through Armathwaite at 57.6 and gaining time. Next the three tunnels (all at 1/220r), into Armathwaite Tunnel at 59.3 and out of the last Baron Wood No1 at 57, over the summit and down the hill, up to 63 and into the dip, and a short climb to Lazonby & KO (58.4). Next it was downhill and 61.8 past Long Meg, a real racket as we climbed the 1/132r through Little Salkeld (57.6). Through Langwathby at 54 then accelerating up to 60 at Culgaith SB, still 60 at Kirkby Thore SB (3E) and 62.4 at Long Marton (4+E & light rain). Nearing Appleby, as we crossed the A66 the cars had their wipers on and flecks of light rain could be seen on the carriage windows. We stopped in Appleby for water 4½E; water was taken from the water crane at the end of the platform. Carlisle to Appleby had taken 41m 23s, start to stop (the start from Carlisle was very gradual – so plus or minus a couple of seconds).

Although it was planned that Mike would drive as far as Chatburn, Keith was keen to drive over the S&C, Mike agreed (reluctantly?) and relinquished the driver's seat at Appleby and took on the role of conductor.

Now for the real test, a big hill to climb and patchy light rain was in the air. We set off 4¼E, it was not the full-blooded charge of some runs but a good steady acceleration; we crossed Ormside Viaduct leaving at 56.4 and speed peaked shortly afterwards (56.7). We were now on 3 miles of 1/100r; Ormside (55.3 & 4½E), half way up this section and into Helm Tunnel at 49.7 and out at 47.1. We reached Griseburn Viaduct (45.5) where the gradient eases first to 1/166r then eases further for the 2 miles to Crosby Garrett; speed built to 51 and we reached 56.5 before Smardale Viaduct, crossing the viaduct at 55.1 and already on the next section of 1/100r towards Kirkby Stephen. We blasted up the hill passing Kirkby Stephen SB at 45.1, this improved on the brief easing beyond to 47.3. The tops of the hills were shrouded in cloud as the photographers at Birkett awaited our arrival, I’m sure they heard us coming; into the tunnel at 44.4 and out at 43. Now some welcome respite with a mile of 1/330r towards Mallerstang, the Brit was up for the battle; 49.2 at Mallerstang (4½E) became 51.7 as we approached Sycamore Farm. There remained the last punishing 3 miles of 1/100r, what had 70000 left? Angerholme, and in sight of the summit 45.5, Ais Gill Viaduct 44.6, under the road bridge 44.4, a minimum of 43.3, then MP260 43.8 and the summit board 47.3 (4¾E). Appleby start to Ais Gill Summit Board 24m 26s. Passing MP277.25 on Appleby platform (at 9mph) to Ais Gill Summit Board 23m 24s.

We made a quick run down to Garsdale, brakes were used to keep to the speed limit, the clouds were looking more threatening, drizzle at Ribblehead, light rain at Horton in R, through Settle at 51 & 6E all culminating in a stop at Hellifield (2½E). After a wait of around 10 mins we set off (RT) for our scheduled water stop at Chatburn. We stopped alongside the former station and the tanker was parked next to the old goods shed. When stopped only two tables of one coach were under the road bridge – lucky me, my GPS was not amused! Less than 17 minutes later, with adequate water to get to Crewe and Keith Murfin continuing as driver we were off again.

It is only a short run to Horrocksford Jn and we were stopped before the junction (arriving around 17E). Just over a minute later we were allowed forward and made the short run to Clitheroe station (16½E). After some passengers had left the train we moved forward only to be held just beyond the station, it was now raining steadily. After 3 mins the preceding unit must have cleared Whalley and away we went. In these circumstances, regular drivers on this line tend to run slowly to allow the service train to make its stops and clear the section at Daisyfield Jn resulting a green light at Whalley (and a run at the bank). Leaving Clitheroe speed increased to the low 40s then Keith must have seen the distant, around Barrow, at caution. We braked and were down to 12 as we approached Whalley station but then the signal must have cleared. We managed to amass 22.5 mph to take on to the climb, it was raining steadily with steam hanging in the air, so sanders on and steady as you go. Speed was worked up to the mid 20s and held at that throughout the climb. Despite the steady climb we were 13E at Ramsgreave & Wilpshire, dropping down into Blackburn we fell foul of some late running traffic and we were held for 20 mins at Daisyfield Jn. After our stop in Blackburn we left 5L and had a quick run, in heavy rain, back towards the WCML, arriving in Leyland (4L). Into the car and back home for 8.20pm.

Well a great day out and a couple of tremendous climbs, any hopes Keith had of making it a hat trick were thwarted by the timetable and the weather. First Class in Saphos is the high end of the market, more like a scheduled airline than a steam day trip provider. The finish of the stock is excellent, the ride is “as new”, there are lots of smartly presented, professional and polite staff . . . if only the windows opened. There were coaches with opening windows, Mk1 firsts for diners – an upgrade too far (for me)! There was only one standard class coach in the consist. Apart from the weather, the day could not have gone better, my thanks to all involved and especially the guys on the footplate who provided all the day’s splendid entertainment. I have still to look at the photos and videos, but thanks in anticipation. I will forward the GPX files to Ian for graphical interpretation.

Oswald T Wistle (Failed Coffin Dodger)

PS I would like to take this opportunity to announce that I will NOT be standing for leadership of the Conservative Party.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  10. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Great stuff David. Out of interest, what was the time from Ormside (MP 275) to Ais Gill Summit?

11. Oswald T Wistle

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    Thanks Peter, Sorry I haven't got a time without some teasing from the GPS data, Ian is far more skilled at that and I've given him the data and I guess that he will be putting the graph on his website shortly.

12. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Nice to see the best of DBC helping with the Saphos trains. Don't know whether this is a temporary arrangement but if things continue like this I can see more steam performance devotees migrating towards the Crewe outfit.

13. Oswald T Wistle

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    As a result of some new information I have been given regarding crews I have edited my report. The main change is that Mike Wylie gave up the driver's seat at Appleby to allow Keith Murfin a drive over the S&C, Mike assumed the role of route conductor. I am sure that Mike will be itching for his turn (and an even better time?)

14. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    Thanks Oswald , who ever the crews were they deserve a good pat on the back as both legs were fantastic noise and performance wise.

26D_M, nige757 and green five like this.
  15. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

@Oswald T Wistle 's gps data is now available in graph form here:
    https://settlecarlislesteam.co.uk/2019/29th-may-2019-the-fellsman

Based on the gps, I make the Blue Riband section 19 minutes and 2 seconds. The Ais Gill pass has a stop watch on it, but MP275 does not, so I would say it's only accurate to within 5 seconds. So around 19 seconds behind 46203's single chimney record which was load 12.

The above link with 46203's record overlaid here:
    https://settlecarlislesteam.co.uk/2019/29th-may-2019-the-fellsman?compare=,731#data

16. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Agree. What can definitely be said is that 34046 and 70000 are in excellent form. In fact it must be quite a few years since so much 7P/8P power was available on the system.

26D_M likes this.
  17. 46245col

46245col New Member

Here is 70000 passing Settle Jcn at the start of the excellent climb northbound on 29 May.

leander likes this.
  18. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    A little late but the view from the train around Farington curve on the northbound journey :

70000-02a.jpg

Lym Flyer, leander, nige757 and 2 others like this.
  19. Linesider

Linesider Well-Known Member

Footage mainly of the southbound leg:

20. Cambrian55

Cambrian55 Member Friend

Engineer.
    Cooperation between TOCs is nothing new, haven't WCR and DB have worked together in the past? I seem to recall Tornado being worked by WCR crews not so long ago. Why it should mean 'devotees' migrating to LSL I cannot understand, unless for some strange reason they wish to travel in air con stock.

60017 likes this.