If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

1306 sold?

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Bramblewick, Aug 12, 2014.

1. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

A reasonable possibility, but it doesn't remove personalities from being a part of this sorry mixture.

2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    In my view, once you decide not to have air brakes fitted to a steam locomotive and then you decide to operate it on the main line, you are automatically limiting your options. Everything flows from that decision. It's not a great disadvantage but you are then locked into using WCR. Neither is that necessarily a problem as SLS seems to rub along ok with them.

To an outsider, this problem involving the A1 Trust, Tornado and WCR, no matter how valid the concern was in the first instance, now smacks of the same inflexibility by WCR as they are currently seeing from Network Rail. That's somewhat ironic therefore.

A slight digression but here is another example of apparent inflexibility. On the evidence available it seems that the preferred starting point for anything steam going north on the WCML is Carnforth, very occasionally Preston but never Crewe. But the evidence also suggests that a cold locomotive starting out of Carnforth northbound has caused delay problems more than once.

Anyway, whilst stubbornness and determination create remarkable examples of success - I consider Galatea to be one such example - this nonsense with the A1 Trust surely cannot continue?

3. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

Sadly it could well continue. The imminent arrival of the P2 could well concentrate minds in due course. But the words spite and face come to mind.

4. andalfi1

andalfi1 Well-Known Member

Semi Retired.
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    'Infantile' ?
    Well, how come we are still waiting to hear the facts regarding their problems with WCRC from the 'Very open (public funded) organization' ?
    As regards the WCRC monopoly, this is a direct result of ineffective competition, they have made a hell of a lot of good decisions, that is why they find themselves in a position of strength and are still to be proved wrong on two counts, namely NR and 'Tornado' !
    As a contributor to the 'Tornado' build fund, I felt I deserved an opinion, to post on this forum previously that, to my mind, no one has anything to lose, and everything to gain from dialogue between them and WCRC, but what did I get in reply ' Why should we' and that, from someone who is obviously a leading light in the A1 Trust.

5. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

Infantile is not the same as wrong...
    It is saying "well, you started it..." and not having a grown-up constructive dialogue.
    Of course there may be some of that on both sides, for all I know.

6. andalfi1

andalfi1 Well-Known Member

Semi Retired.
    Yes, maybe I should have added 'Now that's infantile' at the end of #164

7. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Perhaps a return to discussing 1306 might be appropriate now.

sycamore and mike1522 like this.
  8. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

Yes. At least the new owner and his colleagues have decided to keep 1306 on the mainline, for more people to enjoy.

26D_M, sycamore and ADB968008 like this.
  9. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    I think it's a no brainer for the new owner not to go mainline if its got all the gubbins why not?

10. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

Ranting on an Internet forum won't affect any decision WCR may take.

ROGace likes this.