If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

1442....0-4-2t

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Reading General, Mar 30, 2013.

?

seen 1442?

1. yes

29 vote(s)
    36.3%
  2. no

51 vote(s)
    63.8%
  1. big.stu

big.stu Well-Known Member

Software Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Bit late on the GWR stuff, but how about the Coleford Peckett? It's even in ticket, but only comes out to play once a year!

The Coleford Peckett

2. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

a contender certainly, aas it had a GWR number even if it didn't seem to be owned by them. Also new to me! Thanks!

3. LesterBrown

LesterBrown Member

Several preserved industrial locomotives have, or had, registered numbers allowing them to run short distances onto GWR metals, but hardly qualify as Great Western locos! (Though I suspect the fitting of ATC on such a loco is unusual).

4. Great Western

Great Western Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Out of pure interest, how much would it cost roughly of course to built a brand new modern version of the 14xx auto tank with auto trailer ?
    When I say modern I mean with a welded steel builder and modern refinements to the original design, fit for low speed (Looe Branch style) mainline operation.

Would £300k see much change?

Im off to Facebook...............;)

Great Western

5. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    I wouldn't have made a pilgrimage of hundreds of miles to see a static 14xx, but was on holiday only a few miles from Tiverton some years back, and it made a good destination for a walk along the Grand Western canal towpath that runs into the town from the east. 1442 has a good home in the museum, and was in pretty good external condition when I saw it. I think it's the Heathcote-Amory family that have custody of 1442, and seem none too keen to see it steamed. I do believe that there was some talk of the WSR being asked (or perhaps offering??) to give the engine a mechanical inspection a few years back, but whether this was just speculation I don't know.

The 14xxs are popular locos, and ideal for heritage lines that do not haul trains of 5 or more coaches up steep gradients, so I can fully understand why people would like to see 1442 in steam, as there would certainly be a number of lines happy to offer it a working home but realistically, I think it's a case of being thankful that the other three preserved 14xxs are all likely to enjoy working futures.

6. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

I doubt you'd get the Autotrailer for 300k...

7. Great Western

Great Western Member

Really !?

Great Western

8. K14

K14 Member

Really.

The Railmotor grant was £750k & that figure doesn't include the boiler & power bogie which were largely paid for by public donations helped by a PRISM grant. It also had to be completed within a certain timescale dictated by the HLF, hence it being outsourced.

Trailer 178 ended up costing six figures, & that was complete when acquired. The owners kept the costs down by using a combination of volunteer labour & part-time paid staff who were mostly doing it for love.

You probably could run one up for less than 300k, but you'd need rent-free premises, a skilled volunteer team & a very flexible schedule. It'd be interesting to know the projected costs for 169 at Williton, as that's approaching a new-build body given the amount they've had to replace.

Coaches ain't cheap.

Pete S.

9. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    Presumably modern construction comes out a fair bit cheaper than traditionally built wooden framed coaches though - at least, and of course there's the rub - provided the modern construction is for a reasonable sized batch and not a one off.

10. Great Western

Great Western Member

I was just planning my euro millions spending, two 14xx auto tanks numbered 1401 & 14xx (the one off Titfield Thunderbolt that was on the timetable). A reproduction of then tramway carriage and road brake used in the film. Along with a a spare ready to use boiler for the tanks.

One can dream!

Great Western

11. K14

K14 Member

Well, a Hawksworth trailer would lend itself to an all-welded frame construction - with steel cantrails & the body uprights fixed directly to the solebar it's already part of the way there.
    However, I suspect that such significant design changes would probably lead to the need for type-approval & that could be a deal breaker.

Not impossible, but might need a Euromillions multi-rollover winner.

P

12. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    I saw Margaret about 4/5 years ago, although to be honest I was more interested in the Signal Box they also have at the museum there. Unfortunately, there was no access to the box or even up the steps, so I was unable to even peer in and see the unusual lever frame. There was also a GW tubular post bracket signal practically hidden in the foliage. All in all, not very well cared for or presented. Margaret is positively ancient and deserves a better retirement, undercover, and the box needs woken up. If I lived locally it would make a good project for a small band of enthusiasts.

13. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

All this would be far better relocated to the Gwili asap?

14. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Would be nice! The signal box is ex-sarnau (old station between St Clears and Carmarthen) on SW Main line. It is virtually identical to the signal box we have at Bronwydd but we wouldn't say no I guess!. Several people who went on to become Gwili volunteers were involved in moving Margaret to Scolton Manor where it has been in the open since the early 1970's. the loco is now under the care of the Pembrokeshire museum section of the Pembs CC. Once upon a time Carmarthenshire (where Gwili is located) and Pembrokeshire (where Scolton is located) were one county (Dyfed) but since 1994 they are now separate again. As the loco has been in Scolton for many years ( and has ties to the old Maenclochog Railway in Pembrokeshire) there might well be a desire to keep it where it is. I don't have a detailed knowledge of condition but the loco was built in 1878 and has not run since 1941. It would look very good with the 4 wheel train that we are assembling of course.

Regards

Matt

15. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Drifting further off topic it would be good if the Gwili could become the home to:

No 28 (already happening)
    1378 as discussed above
    a couple of working ex GW locos of modest size reasonably authentic to the area

It always seems strange that S Wales, despite its population & strong historical associations with railways, should have such a poor offering re working ex mainline steam locos.

Currently, unless something else happens, the only active ex mainliners planned to be working in S Wales will be 9629 (still a long way off) and 6686 (not yet started) and that assumes both projects continue to successful conclusion in their current location.

16. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Agree 100% with your sentiment. All those locos at Barry, and not one working example with a home in South Wales.....
    Without going hugely O/T South Wales has suffered from a dilhution of resources and labour, with numerous presevation schemes. In the last decade or so there has been much consolidation and we have two railways which are clearly now more developed than the rest - Gwili in the west and P and B in the east.

If both keep developing then I'm pretty sure at some point both lines will become attractive to the owners of ex-BR locos- for example on the Gwili we will soon have a longer run , operate 150 days/year plus and we presently have some full time members of MPD staff - making the line more attractive for engines looking for a home. The one thing we haven't (yet) got is a shed.

Personally I think the option of loco owners making a "home" with us is more realistic than the writing of a large cheque to fund the purchase and restoration of a BR loco by the railway itself.

Regards

Matt

17. houghtonga

houghtonga Member

Chartered Engineer
    There is one ex -GWR loco everybody overlooks!

The cut-down frames, motion and four-coupled wheels from Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway steam locomotive 34 (later GWR 252) still exist at Leeds Industrial Museum, Armley Mills. The loco which was built in 1855 originally had a 0-6-0 wheel arangement. Withdrawn in 1904 most of the loco was scrapped however the cut-down frames, motion and four-coupled wheels were set up as an instructional model. These remains were late acquired by the Leeds Industrial Museum and are currently stored dismantled in a part of the museum not open to the public.

(not my picture)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/14581588@N05/4735888906/

18. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer
    There's an autotrailer screaming out for restoration standing idle at Horsehay, Telford...............

Cheers

Alan