If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

1968 and all that 24 May - 1 June 2008

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by admin, Apr 22, 2008.

1. industrial fetish

industrial fetish Member

School
    No.49 finished at Backworth in 1972

2. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Sir Berkeley IIRC was one of the earliest stock items operated at the KWVR which is also celebrating its 40th Anniversary this year.

3. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Correct me if I'm wrong but:

7029 worked one of the final passenger trains out of Paddington
    92220 was the last BR steam loco
    63395 was one of the final locos working in the NE
    45593 was one of the last jubilees working
    Trangkil 4 has some significance about it too bu tcan't remember it.

So they all have a link to the End of Steam, just not necessarily 1968, but seeing as it's called 1968 and all that, the all that would include all the things that happened during those final years.

4. industrial fetish

industrial fetish Member

School
    No.49 represents the locos that worked after the end on BR

5. R Barnett

R Barnett Member

1968 and all that. York Fest. Your thoughts....

Having been to the event and come away. I feel let down by the event! The ticket price is too high for what the event is. I thought museums were free....
    £11 to get in for very little steam action. Yes I know I could have bought a cheaper ticket but even £9.50 doesn't warrant what is there to see!

I think a far better event could have been had, look at how Railfest was. Fantastic!

But sorry York your let down to the preservation world with this very poor job. The scrappings of the barrel is what is on display!

This is my opionion which I am entilted too. I'm sure many people feel the same and now the show is faced with very few visitors due to the stupid prices. Come on get a GRIP!!

Rich

6. R Barnett

R Barnett Member

Too expensive!!

Very Poor event!!

Sorry but it was just crap!!

Rich

7. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

Could you enlighten us a bit more than that. What about it was crap? Why do you feel it wasn't value for money? How could they improve on it?

8. R Barnett

R Barnett Member

Why would I want to pay to see STATIC Exhibits that I could see at tysley, barrow hill, bluebell etc!

Now an event with an impressive line up. e.g. Crewe, the great gathering.

2 x duchess
    2 x princess
    1 x Duke

In a line!!

Well that was value for money!

I think it is rip off myself!!

My Opinion! I am entitled to it!

Rich

9. chrishallam

chrishallam Member

Surely you knew what to expect before you went though. It's been clearly advertised for months. £11 is hardly expensive. Most other days out would be more than that anyway!

10. Sam

Sam New Member

Single and Proud of it!
    Re: 1968 and all that. York Fest. Your thoughts....

The exact reason why i didnt go.... To be honest the only locos i would like to see were D9009, 61194 and 63395, All i can see at the nymr for free.

11. NDTSDN

NDTSDN Part of the furniture

Re: 1968 and all that. York Fest. Your thoughts....

A major shame it clashed directly with the GWR Festival of Steam (Who incidently had 2 NRM locos in their line-up).

I also believe the dates for the GWR event were set well before the York Fest.

12. channel

channel Member

Assistant Harbour Master
    Given the museum is free you can hardly grumble at the £11 charge for such an event. It was nice to see a good mixture of ages at the event too . . .

I visited the NRM on Sunday for the first time and had the event not been on I'd probably have gone away with a different oponion . . as it was the event made the visit worth while.

Regards
    Chris

[​IMG]

13. gwr4965hallclass

gwr4965hallclass Member

I went on Saturday behind 5029 Nunney Castle to the event. I enjoyed my day with some really fast running in both directions. I had a couple of rides on the narrow gauge demonstration line and one on the standard gauge demonstration line. http://tim-easton.fotopic.net/c1516509.html

14. glynsgirl

glynsgirl Member Moderator

SUPPORT WORKER for adults with learning disabillit
    abit quite than i thort it was going to be,Thankyou to the bloke who cut my wrist band off before my hand went purple where admin put it on to tight :roll: hehe,Again staff were very helpfull,still cant believe that even thou people can see you talking to a driver on a engine they still want to push in and move you out the way.watched a few history films in the musuem,liked going underneth a engine.
    There was a little something for everyone,trains,beer and my fav the shire horses.

15. R Barnett

R Barnett Member

Benefit of the coubt is the reason I went.

But to see many static engines that can be seen else where for free! Only a few worthwhile exibits I think.

Rich

16. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Well it would cost you £3. 00p to get near 70013 and 63601 at Loughborough.

17. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Maybe I'm being naive but what is 1968 all about ?

The end of steam , the last survivors, retrenchment to the north west and a final farewell and onwards to scrapyards or preservation. Where is the context of that era ? farewell railtours , coal trains slogging over copy pit with 8F's on their last legs . Where is the recognition of people like the SLS, RCTS etc who ran those tours

So of those that survive from that period where is a gathering of them , York in May , Carnforth in August , ELR ? sadly none of these

So 1968 and all that was an exercise in bringing a group of engines together and charging for it .

18. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    That, Martin is what I have been enquiring about

1968 was a mythical year; first year sixth former looking to qualifications and a future - beer and prog rock's early stirrings; everything we knew coming to a rapid end; fantastic camaraderie that has lasted a generation; not yet an adult - but having to grow up fast - and what has the NRM done about all that? - put a few engines together with one from that year into a yard and called it a topical name.

1968 was more than just engines - it was bashing, nevering, overnighting in bothies and brake vans, filling cars with your mates and chasing steam from depot to depot as they closed, the 20.50 and the 21.25 - after we lost the Belfast Boat Express

"1968 and all that" - Come on NRM - tell me what about 1968 is being celebrated and you will get my £11 - but a budget chasing display as a prelude to £34.13 for four A4s and £117.50 for a plated meal in the great hall - (subject to exclusion clauses). No thanks - I'm with my memories - from forty years and more ago, as well as stomping up to Bramhope last night.

There were four of us from 1968 behind Tangmere yesterday, nine of us behind 5407 on the real 40th for us three weeks ago - that is what 1968 is about - and those, Messrs "OVSB" and "CJBC" who wont be there to celebrate who are probably polishing 5134 and 5342 in that shed up there somewhere in the sky ready for those who follow.

That's what we are remembering!

19. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    As someone who wasn't there in 1968 (arrived 14 years too late and about 90 miles too far south), I did think about that when I originally saw the list of locos.

To me, I would have much preferred a small display of representative locos, mixed in among other displays to add greater 'weight' to the whole 1968 spirit. How about some of the social changes ongoing in Britain at the time? The traffic and workings that were lost or disposed of, the jobs that no longer needed doing?

Strange as it may seem, something that shows why the authorities were keen to get rid of steam; ignoring the enthusiasts perception of a blind desire to rid the network of 'old technology', how about the filth, the graft, the difficulties of getting labour - all of this played a part in steam's eventual demise. To quote the fireman of a particularly notable special working, "no more dirty 'ands".

No, to me, as someone who was not there at the time, a 1968 display could teach so much about the state of the railways, and the country as a whole, during '1968 and all that'. If you like, its the interpretive aspect that modern museums strive to present. As it stands, I am not sure that a display of various highly polished locos from all over the country does that.

20. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

please excuse the romantic vision of things but I think it's a shame that the following hasn't / isn't happening

At a location in the North West , hopefully a steam shed with Coaling stage, a collection of engines including 70013,45110,45407,45305,44871, 48773 plus 8F's 9F's maybe a standard 5 as well are gathered . Mixture of states from grimy to enthusiast polished with farewell headboards , maybe some dumped ready for their final journey to the scrapyard

A series of railtours during the event , Cumbrian coast , S&C , Carnforth Blackburn Preston Carnforth Circuit, Copy pit

We celebrate Steam almost daily , wherever you are in GB there is a preserved railway nearby , A collection of engines at york is always there and a few guests isn't anything out of the ordinary but 1968 , the end of steam , it deserves a recreation . 1967 and end of southern steam was done far far better

Maybe for the 50th !