If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

1968 and all that 24 May - 1 June 2008

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by admin, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Better ask James than

2. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Re: 1968 and all that. York Fest. Your thoughts....

I may go next Saturday - busy at work on the Moors (or in our garden!) this last weekend. Having spoken to a couple of people who have been, I think they would agree at least to some extent with The Shunter and Sam.

While I think it is only right that the NRM marks the anniversary, both the timing of the event and frankly the choice of guest exhibits seem to lack any great connection to the theme of "1968 and all that". Without seeing the detail of the exhibition, I can't make a total judgement but the style of adverts etc. suggested they were trying to show the change the railways underwent (sort of "Stephenson to InterCity"), the advert very much suggesting the image BR was trying to get across by 1968. Be interesting to see if there is any of that.

I would certainly have thought that late July/early August would have been a more appropriate time and less confusing for Radio 4, who apparently informed the national that Saturday was exactly 40 years since the end of BR steam (followed by a member of the Friends of the NRM stating the 15 Guinea special ran on 8th August 1968)!

3. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

The NRM can't do exhibitions. Whether it is the disappointment of railfest or the missed opportunity that was last years anniversary of the modernisation plan, their track record is poor - so this one was never on my list of things to visit

4. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    What was your problem with Railfest? I thought it was one of the best events I have been too???

5. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

It was IMHO a group of unrelated exhibits with no story connecting them and several exhibits which were to all intents and purposes just "dumped"

6. rorz101uk

rorz101uk New Member

RVEL Apprentence
    hey lads
    I went on monday and i must stay it wasn't happy with the event. i think there should have been a a number of Black 5 and number of 8F of that year. there wasn't many diesels at the event. There could have the locos in turn to put on the passenger trains that was in steam, and you have got to also remember old but what about the new i didn't see many new locos, coaches or wagons of that year. I didn't see any adverts in the paper or on the tv. the only adverts i did see were in the railway mags which are made for railway enthusiast, not the general public.

7. MikeParkin65

MikeParkin65 Member Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    Fine photo of 60009 southyorkshireman

8. Guest

Occasional
    I happened to bump into people leaving the NRM evening function tonight.

They told me enough about the lack of 1968, never mind "all that" to ensure that I won't be bothering.

Perhaps if we were one legged you know what's imported from Africa three hundred years ago they would have made a better job!

9. R Barnett

R Barnett Member

All day I spent looking for the lady with that leg in the adverts....... Never found her lol

Neway, Would have been nice to get a black five, 8f, standard 5! All 1968 locos.

A shame more could have been done to promote the event as well, so a let down in all ways!

Never mind, better luck next time NRM!

Rich

10. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Are those employed to do these events real enthusiasts ? probably not and without appreciating the history and importance the real point will be missed.

Look at the great A4 gathering , priced out of the pockets of most enthusiasts one worries as to how it will be done, and this is a potentially unique event that should be enjoyed by everyone not just a paying select few

I fear that in the years to come our history and not just at the NRM will be increasingly dumbed down , reduced to banal bite sized chunks devoid of any context

the 40th anniversary has been coming for years but I've seen little to inspire me that anyone has really thought about what could be done to really celebrate this event beyond IT57 recreation

11. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer

Went round the museum but didn't bother paying the £11 to walk round the yard, you can spend a full day on a lot of preserved lines for that.

12. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    I suspect this has been done to restrict numbers although I must admit to paying the asking price; when it comes to A4s I'm willing to accept that my heart rules my head - albeit not too often - and this is truly a one off that I think justifies the restiction and the high price.

Given that the NRM is on restricted funding it would be interesting to know how much expense the NRM is incurring to set this up and therefore what net profit it will gain from the admission charge / restricted numbers policy that it appears to be adopting.

13. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    Can such an event be compared to anything else? (specifically the A4 event but 68 too..)

A major 'one off' was the BBMF gathering at Duxford last year. The only time so far (and possibly ever) that the entire flight was airbourne and formally displayed together, with all support aircraft too. You were allowed to walk the flight line in the morning, and you got around 4 hours flying out of them over the day.

The costs of rehearsing, ferrying them down from Coningsby and finding enough RAF pilots to crew the entire flight at once as well as the appearance of a Typhoon probably knocks the A4s events costs into nothingness, yet it cost £20 a ticket on the day which included museum access, which is usually £16 entry on normal days

14. Guest

Occasional
    In other words - Rip Off

15. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    I think you have made your point now ok.

16. jackprentice2007

jackprentice2007 Member

17. Guest

Occasional
    Dear Admin

As one of the few people on here coached in public speaking by the same lady who taught Margaret Thatcher may I simply repeat what she drummed into her consultees,which was.

"Tell 'em what you are going to tell 'em; tell them, and then tell 'em what you told 'em"

That's how messages get driven home out there.

I always believe in doing a professional job!

18. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    I totally agree. However the written word is a little more static than the spoken word.

19. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    .... as the actress said to the bishop ! [-o< :smt002 :smt002 :smt002

20. markjkirby

markjkirby Member

i went on thursday after seeing 34067 and the 40 at york station at lunch time, a bit expensive with not alot to see, one room of sales stands i did think that was very poor, locos not to bad for getting some photos {very little hard service for pushing wheelchair} but lots of steps in the way so people can look on them {i could get on none been in a wheelchair which was a bit upseting} i guess the cost is getting the locos to and from the nrm is why it was so expensive? the best part of the day was the night run with 34067 from york to harrogate. mark