If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

25 year bash for the GWR 175?

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by London Midland Guard, May 4, 2009.

1. baldric

baldric Member

There is no reason Didcot could not run such a gala, getting locos in is not that hard, just a few exams, we have done it regularly with Thomas, got the Saint in with the Kings tender that had to be sent to Milton first, got several engines in 2 years ago for the 40-75 event. Where else could do a proper GWR lineup outside a GWR shed with many other GWR exhibits, whose sole aim is keeping the GWR memory alive?

2. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    Tyseley?

3. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    On a serious note and as part of the celebration how about running a number of Didcot Tyseley (or tys - did) using GWR motive power (halls , castles and kings ) as a regular run say through the summer and have events on at TYS and Did . Pool from 5043, 5029, 4953, 6023(?) To be really bold run a couple through to Kidderminster or originate from KDR

4. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    Bridgnorth to Didcot with a King or Castle anyone?
    I suggest you get emailing certain preserved railways, and sheds and works now, no point waiting 'till next summer. These things take time to plan.
    Whilst we are at it why not a Plandampf on the North Waricks one weekend?
    Ah well that's me in trouble with the boss when I next go into work. :-# :-#

5. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Kevin , inspired

9600, 9466 and maybe 4953 & 5043 running say one bank holiday weekend on the North Warwicks ,

6. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

You never know, the idea of preserving a Castle & Jubilee at Tyseley in the 60's was hair brained to some, certainly more realistic than some suggestions on this thread.

7. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

So if it is not difficult after all are the GWS going to do it?

8. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Now you're talking!!! Count me in \:D/ =D> The West Somerset had an amazing GWR gala a few years ago, probably kick started the modern mega gala, so this kind of event can and has already been done to a certain extent. I think the SVR would be a good base for a gala as they currently (though the WSR might change this by 2010) have the only operational Manors (P&DSR excepted) and until their motive power situation improves would be reluctant to loan them out in high season. No GWR gala would be complete without one of them! If 6000 can be moved to Didcot for an event I can't imagine any better celebration of the GWR in 2010 and preservation's achievements since 1985. There's an argument that 6000 should be on GWR territory rather than York for GWR 175 anyway given it's preservation era achievements... :-k I can still remember well the line up of 6233, 46229, 6201 & 46203 at Crewe a few years ago, the four A4's last year and you have Eastleigh for a line up of the Southern's trail blazers this year. The GWR deserves it's turn for a line up of it's finest and 3 restored Kings will be unique in preservation thus far too. Double head a Hall and Castle down from Tyseley (or Bridgnorth/Bewdley) to connect to the event and you will have two Halls and at least (would Pendennis be ready?) two Castles to add to the line up as well! A Manor over Barmouth bridge would be my dream GWR celebration but I can't see that ever happening again...but there's one of those at Didcot too. How about a 9 day GWR fest on the SVR with a steam hauled railtour from Bewdley to Didcot to connect in with a simultaneous 'KING event' on each of the Saturdays?! Panniers, prairies, autos and freights mid-week; Halls, manors and a castle out to play at the weekend. Ambitious probably, but a suitable celebration I think..! [-o<

9. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

It all sounds mouth watering let's hope we get something to remember from this anniversary. I believe this year's WSR autumn gala is to be a GWR themed event and they hope to have 7828 back in service for this gala. The WSR autumn gala would be a good way of whetting people's appetite for next year's GW175.
    I very much like the sound of what people are saying and hopefully many of the lines will stage some kind of GWR event.

Cheers,

Paul

10. London Midland Guard

London Midland Guard New Member

Not such a hairbrained idea is it?????

All sounds very do'able if the right railways, works and centre's are up for it.....

London Midland Guard.

11. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    GWR was more than just locos- might just be a suitable time for Gwili to launch GWR coach 216 into traffic (oldest operating GWR Coach)

Either way, I think a GWR 175 event is worth having...how many employees of the Company will still be around for GWR 200?

Don't think it will be along the lines of GWR 150 though, the modern railway is a very different place.

12. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    Great ideas, would be fantastic to get as many of the remaining GWR loco's together as possible.

In danger of veering slightly off topic, also remember that 2014 is the 50th anniversary of the 'Great Western' the final fling with the Castles to mark 60 years after City of Truro's run. Hopefully Pendennis will be fit by then, so perhaps Pendennis to Plymouth, Clun (I wish), back to Bristol and then 5043 back to Paddington - although in the case of the final leg for authenticity we really need a 505 series, single chimney castle if anyone knows of one in need of restoration.

Apologies for the off topic, but I can dream!

13. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

With 6998 restored as 6999 on standby!! \:D/

14. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

I'm sure a certain Mr B Meanley of Warwick Road, Tyseley would accept assistance financial or practical to speed up Clun's overhaul in time for 2014! What sort of condition is she in? With 4965 considered a quick job I would of thought she'd be next in and back before then anyway wouldn't she..?

15. EDDIE ROBERTS

EDDIE ROBERTS New Member

One of the railway magazines said a short time OK that the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway was planning to hold a 9 day gala to celebrate the 175th anniversary of the GWR.
    I think it was to be held at the May/June period 2010. They were reported as looking at borrowing a number of GWR locos to add to the 4 that are based on the line. It is possible that by then the line will have extended to 12 miles with at least 4 passing loops and that some of their based locos will have completed restoration, including 2-8-0 no 2807 which is the oldest privateky owned GWR loco. The line was a GWR built mainline and saw most of their locos on action except for 'Kings', but they could run now. It would be an ideal site to show the GWR history. Plans still to be confirmed.

16. Rlangham

Rlangham Well-Known Member

The oldest operating GWR coach that isn't actually operating? 8-[

17. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Well ok, #-o what I meant was if it was launched it would then be the oldest operating GWR coach.

18. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

why Didcot ?

When does Old Oak Common close is there time for one last get together on the turntable ?

I'd settle for Tyseley's panniers running to Greenford from Paddington.

19. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)

Old Oak Common closes in about two weeks time. The turntable is moving to the NRM.

I believe that some sort of event is being planned at Didcot next May. Also the West Somerset Railway's GWR-themed autumn steam gala later this year (Thu Oct 1 to Sun Oct 4 2009 inclusive) should provide a good precursor to GWR 175 next year. I gather some interesting engines are planned !

David

20. fentmar

fentmar New Member

I think a couple of specials into Didcot would be fitting with some special guests in place.

Maybe one special from Birmingham and one from Paddington with Tyseleys Castles/Halls and/or KE1.

There are plenty of GW engines at DIdcot already; thus getting 2 or 3 main line engines in would make quite a sight.

KE2 should be ready by then (albeit will stick out like a sore thumb in blue ](*,) ](*,) Not sure on 4079.

Similarly I think a weekend of trains on the North Warwickshire would ve very special but all this within the bounds of possibility, demand for tickets and commercial reality.