If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Dinmore Manor Ltd., Jan 16, 2014.

1. Dinmore Manor Ltd.

Dinmore Manor Ltd. New Member

NEW BLOG Launched:

Following on from the success of the blog currently following 7820's return steam (http://7820dinmoremanor.blogspot.co.uk/) a new blog has been set up now that 2874 has arrived at the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway for commencement of restoration. It can be found @ http://2874dinmoremanor.blogspot.co.uk/ and will follow the restoration of 2874 to working order bit by bit over the coming years.

IMGP1679.JPG

2. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It's always good to hear of a forgotten engine beginning the road to restoration, even though it's going to be a good few years before 2874 steams again. Best wishes with your project. The "Blaenavon Five" were regarded as pretty rough engines, but the group that have bought 4253 for use on the Kent & East Sussex are making great progress. Their blog http://www.4253.co.uk/Latest_Progress/ is a real inspiration. Knowing what DMLL have already achieved with 7820 and 3850, the 2874 blog will, I am sure, be just as refreshing a read.

3. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    does this mean restoration work will be beginning then? I wasn't sure if it was waiting for one of the other impending restorations (4270) to finish to free up some labour first. there was talk of either the 4270 group or 35006 helping with 44901 once their own projects are finished, so perhaps the other will be helping with 2874. dunno where that leaves 44027 though...

regardless of when restoration starts, brilliant that it is, can't wait for its return already.

I know this is probably an unanswerable question at this stage, but is there a rough estimate of how long? *he asks tentatively*

4. Dinmore Manor Ltd.

Dinmore Manor Ltd. New Member

Thank you for your comment John. Externally she certainly looks somewhat poor but closer inspection revealed a set of tyres that had done just over 3 months work, a copper firebox in very good condition on small stays etc. We have collected a number of components over the years so although she may look somewhat incomplete at present we have plenty of parts 'in store' some new, some overhauled and ready to go. As for time scales Alex, as fast as we possibly can with the income and volunteer team that we have at present. Additional funding and volunteer input would make a big difference, means of attracting funds to 2874 are being explored and developed in the background and will be launched at a later date. In the mean time if anyone would like to get involved do please get in touch!

Mike Solloway

DMLL

5. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes, I agree with John. I've been looking forward to seeing this fine locomotive at the GWSR since the Dinmore Manor Group announced it. I can recommend some people at Toddington who know a tremendous amount about GWR 28xxs but I'm sure you know who they are! I do recall painting and sorting various parts of 2807 at Toddington many years ago but fortunately the really important stuff was done by people who know more about engineering than I do. One word to the wise; making and fitting the boiler cladding alone can be a very lengthy affair and a right pain! Oh yes, everything takes 3 times as long and costs twice as much as you think and the drawings don't necessarily reflect what's sitting on its wheels in front of you! Still, it will be wonderful to see 2874 being restored and I'm sure it won't take 29 years!

Also, its good to see nice fat tyres on an ex-Barry loco for once.