If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

34027 Hogwarts Express?

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by neildimmer, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    34027 was painted up at the ELR and was displayed in the "Hogwarts" livery on 28/06/2000 after which the loco was released for publicity work on the main line. 34027 was back on the ELR on 02/12/2002 under repair AND in the guise of 34045 Ottery St Mary so I presume that it was in red for around 12 months before returning to BR Green.

2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Heavy VSOE - true. Totally knackered - if you say so. In part because of the VSOE work - a matter of opinion I would suggest unless a piston and valve exam was done immediately before and after the VSOE spell. Either way, it is indeed a pity that Taw Valley probably won't join Braunton on the ML. This size (7P) is particularly useful, as are the Britannias, because of the modern design.

3. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Retired
    To be fair I think acorb is right as to the condition of 34027, an enormous amount of hard work has gone into the frames, if I remember correctly Phil Swallow wrote that in hindsight it would have been better to have cut new frames, it has had one new cylinder so, yes knackered.

Cheers Dave