If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

34046 Braunton

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 92143, Oct 18, 2011.

1. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Seems a bit strange that no-one saw that coming, doesn't it? I understood that Ian Riley's own engines are being converted to GSMR, so he's clearly aware of the need, and if he's had the contract to bring the loco up to main line spec one would have imagined that would have been a fairly integral part of it!

2. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I don't think GSMR is that much of a hurdle technically, basically being a jumped up NR phone network, but it's still requires time and money to fit, that said, I Believe GSMR for now at least, is only live below a line from the Wash to the Severn, so could technically work a CME for example, but useless south of the Midlands, given Braunton likely to spend a fair chunk of time at Southall (many loco's can work up north or west, but few into Kent/Sussex), it makes sense to deal with it now than fanny about for a few months up north.

3. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    Mr Hoskings doesn't seem to be having much luck getting is loco's back to the mainline, Braunton has now been at Bury for 15 months. It suggests on here (so it must be true!) that she was moved up there for the air braking to be completed and commissioned, the driving wheels to be removed, retyred and refitted and main line certification to be completed, I assume they must have uncovered some nasties for it to have taken this long as Bury have turned round five's complete overhauls in about a third of that time - I know there were delays with 4472 taking up workshop space, that all died down middle of last year didn't it. I assume this time will all be eating into her boiler time as well?

Equally Royal Scot has been tied up at Crewe for even longer?

4. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Steam Dreams has Braunton down for trips in the spring on 9/3, 19/3 and 18/4. That's going to compromise availability for locos used by DBS I think, not to mention the RTC activities on 16/3, 7/4 and 14/4.

5. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

35027 Port Line has been waiting a while too, Hope he's got a good Project Manager with everything in hand.
    Dont forget theres little point having everything in ticket at once, though from a business case perspective I'd argue the mainline could fit another 2-3 well managed, well maintained class 7/8 locomotives in the south right now.

6. dublo6231

dublo6231 Member

IT
    Any progession with the fitting of the required GSMR devices required to run in the south? I was thinking of booking on the ACE tour to Exeter and back on the 7th April - quite liked the idea of the whole trip especially being banked up to Exeter Central - is this the first steam tour to booked up this ascent since Tangmere and the Standard 5 came to grief a few years back?

7. Wayne

Wayne New Member

Tangmere had another go a few months, if I remember correctly, after the failed trip.
    On the 2nd Sept 2006 (was it that long ago!) Brian Butcher and myself worked her up to Salisbury.
    John Bunch was on the footplate with us and was a bit nervous, until I pointed out we had 3300 HP on the rear end to help.
    Not that we needed much help, Dave Purvis on the 67 said he only helped us out of St Davids, Tangmere was on her own for much of the climb.
    I think that was the last time a steam charter worked in that direction, I could be wrong of course!

8. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Believe it or not it was!
    76079 + 34067 Exeter Bank - YouTube

9. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

I was wondering... I think I read the GSMR system went live a few weeks ago, but was curious to know whether 34046 could be inside 34067/60163 on the tours in March to Plymouth. AFAIK both 34067/60163 have had GSMR equipment installed.

I remember reading that Braunton would need to be diesel hauled now if it went south of the Midlands, but could it also be steam hauled on a rail tour without the GSMR installed?

James at SVN

10. Pjamie

Pjamie New Member

The fitting would be down to the owner and Network Rails contractors.

11. maddog

maddog New Member

12. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Some quality driving there.
    That stock looked in good nick though... was that the same stock we see on some tours today..not repainted since.

Heads back to the sarcasm stone.

13. fish7373

fish7373 Member

tube lines Northfields railway depot Piccadilly li
    HI
    you say quality driving i think not more like bad driving and with banker the driver needs shooting. FISH7373 81C

14. gwalkeriow

gwalkeriow Well-Known Member

Retired.
    I think that ADB968008's comment is written with more than a little hint of sarcasm.

15. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

I was there that day & watched the two locos in Exeter station before the climb. The engine that was eventually the banker was blowing off furiously , so the fireman kept topping here up with the injector , only for her to start blowing again minuets later. So when they started the boiler must have been full as an egg , & probably primed or driver not giving her all , so no real push from the back. We were all commenting on this on the platform, & thats what eventually happend.

16. osprey

osprey Resident of Nat Pres

semi-retired, currently doing R&D for my patents
    Looks like a no show at the ELR this weekend............

17. 8A Rail

8A Rail Member

Correct.

18. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

So is there any chance that the light and loaded mainline test runs are imminent?

19. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

More work required . Rumour is additional problems identified (have we been here before with another loco ?) I'm sure Ian will update on the works soon

20. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

No point sending something out if its obviously not right. Attention to detail will no doubt pay dividends in the long run.