If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

34067, now 45231 - The Cheshireman - 12/09/2015

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by LMarsh1987, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Beides any shunting requirements at Chester, today's weather forecast may have had an effect on the decision to take the DL. A heavy shower after a dry week could leave the rails very slippery.

IIRC, 45231 is still for sale. WCRC currently have the use of her as payment-in-kind for maintenance work they did recently, but AFAIK they've not bought her (yet). It doesn't surprise me that they are being more cautious with her than they might be with their own 44932.

Having taken the DL along, it's almost inevitable that it will have to assist on the most difficult sections - station starts and the steepest hills. As always, it seems that it's pot-luck how much assistance any particular observer witnesses.

2. western nobleman

western nobleman Member

Ex-member due to inflamnatory posts by Mr Knowun
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    45231 is a fine loco & probably perfectly capable of lifting load 10 out of Abergavenny. Unfortunately the weight of the 47 now means that it will have to be assisted even more than it apparently already has been.

I'm not sure whether it has been raised before but the use of diesels on tours for other railtour operators does, whilst not universal, seem to be proportionally greater than their "own brand" offerings such as the Fellsman? This summer that frequently ran with load 11/12.

I suppose it could be argued that these workings are closer to home & therefore more readily in reach of Carnforth if assistance is needed, but I wonder if WCR charge higher fees for external charters on the basis of providing additional diesel loco & crew?.

3. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Hehe! Well said, Mr M. Adding your Jubilee to the working fleet at Tyseley is a wonderful prospect, and might actually mean that NR check the gauging for the Welsh Marches and a few other routes in your district. Realistically, when do you think work might start on 5593? After Clun Castle returns? (I think this needs a thread of its own...)

4. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thank goodness for that. I'm sure that many of us are eagerly awaiting the return of the Crimson Lady.<BJ>

5. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

That's a rather strong accusation to make... And isn't The Fellsman a Statesman gig?

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

6. cg

cg Well-Known Member

7. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    But didn't WCRC buy Statesman or am I barking up the wrong tree?

8. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Didn't WCRC buy compass or am I having similar tree issues?

9. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Thank you for a nice photo of todays train but I shall have to report you to a Mod for an off topic post in this thread about loco numbers, loco colours, diesels on the back etc, etc, (to which I have also contributed. :oops:).

;)

Bifur01 and cg like this.
  10. western nobleman

western nobleman Member

Ex-member due to inflamnatory posts by Mr Knowun
    It is, as you put it, "a Statesman gig" but as you will notice from my earlier post I did very particularly use the words "own brand" in inverted commas. West Coast Railways website (on their main railtours page) promote the Statesman programme. There is also another WCR website page headed "West Coast Railways proudly partners Statesman Rail"

http://www.westcoastrailways.co.uk/west-coast-railways-partners.cfm

I am certainly questioning (& the question is very clear) if the increasing use of diesels is a significant part of the inflation exceeding price increases of all railtour operators in recent years. Personally I would not blame WCR for making any profit it can by NOT using diesels on it's own trains and welcome this whenever it occurs. My "accusation" as you put it is that enthusiasts are paying for diesel assistance on SOME occasions where it is neither wanted or needed.

As for the subsequent post regarding Compass Tours when they ceased to trade as an independent entity one of the former principals continued his involvement under the auspices of West Coast Railways & tours were advertised for about two-three months as "Compass by West Coast". Subsequently the Compass name was dropped from the WCR website altogether.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  11. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    That maybe what I was thinking of. I'm sure somebody will come along with the correct answer.

Edit : Looks like western nobleman has already.

12. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Just as an aside, while 45231 was sat in the bay platform at Hereford this morning, "the phone rang" in a metal box fixed to the tender front. I could hear the ringtone standing a few feet away from the quiet loco. Question: If this a modern means of communication with loco crews, I wonder if they can actually hear it ringing when the loco is working hard, and so is there some other indication in the cab that they are "wanted on the phone"...?

(For the record, 45231 left Hereford northbound at about 10-35, following an ATW unit.)

13. Tony172

Tony172 New Member

Engineer
    That will be the GSMR radio to contact the signalman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    I was hoping they would let 45231 have a bash over the Welsh Marches, like they did with 45407 over the S&C on the first WCME, but with running almost 15 down, the 47 got well into it's stride at Wistanstow :(:mad: At least the sun made an appearance !

KentYeti likes this.
  15. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Not to dispute that such confusion has arisen, but shouldn't official documents use the TOPS numbers?

16. AlexGWR1994

AlexGWR1994 Member

45231 'The Sherwood Forrester' filmed at Horfield, Llanvihangel and Onibury. Bert Hitchen would have been proud of her performance.

17. billbedford

billbedford Member Friend

retired
    super stuff sounds like a steam engine should .thanks for sharing

18. GBoreham

GBoreham Member

Footage of a superb performance from 45231 today, seen flying past Stokesay on the outbound run with 47746 just taking its own weight then thundering away from Chester on the return leg with no assistance whatsoever.

KentYeti likes this.
  19. MrThrash

MrThrash New Member

KentYeti likes this.
  20. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Based on a number of very nice and very noisy video clips posted here I would guess that anyone on that train anywhere near the front sitting on a seat near a part opened window would have had a damn good day out.

Shoddy127 and RalphW like this.