If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

34102 Cabside

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by Hurricane, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/steam-loc...ollectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item3f4078ddbd

Just scanning flee bay and came across this…..Is this the real cab side?

I am sure this isn't the original (infact I'm sure the very item has been on ebay before and was posted on a thread here before) 34105 Swanage ran as 34102 before going out of ticket in the 90's so it could just be from then?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  2. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

3. richards

richards Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Title corrected.

4. Reading General

It's the original post that needs correcting.... :) I'm guessing this is the cabside used when Swanage was masquerading as 34102 but that's just a guess and the post could be a little clearer.

5. K14

K14 Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Looking at the way the numbers have 'aged' I'd go along with it being ex-34105. The shrinkage & cracking are hallmarks of two layers of vinyl + UV +(maybe) varnish; if they were original transfers or signwritten that's very unlikely to happen.

6. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

Sorry - was clearly overly tired last night when I posted that message sorry!

7. Footbridge

Footbridge Member

The 'other' Ebay listing was number 191154152008. I don't know if it the same piece of metal though.

8. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I'm almost convinced this was auctioned just recently on ebay, by someone from the MHR as a charity auction.
    I would not be recommending bidding on this as an original, but then again the seller hasn't said it is an original either... so buyer beware..

(I remember a few years ago there was a class 40 works plate that seemed to be going round... all original and covered in bodged blue paint.. that 40 must have had a lot of works plates fitted over the years...as it came up on ebay about 10 times)

9. MAPLE CHRIS

MAPLE CHRIS Member

34102 Was cut up at Buttigeigs in Newport. In steam for scrap volume 2 there is a picture of it being cut on 9th September 1968, the cabside number is clearly visible

10. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

I knew I wasn't imagining it.... from memory it seems a lot smaller since last time I saw it on ebay, I wonder if its been cut down to try and lure people into thinking its legit?

11. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Nope..
    it was you that brought our attention to it...

https://www.national-preservation.c...ions-major-progress.24270/page-91#post-844060

and the last auction.. ended for £29.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replica-c...ollectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item2c81ace248
    (However the pictures seem to have disappeared from the auction, however one of the best things about Nat Pres is it's archive..
    here's a link to the pictures of the cab side..

http://andrewstransport.smugmug.com...-2014/37771125_dkMMCt#!i=3128444118&k=rZq9r5g

current price on this auction is £372...

really am not sure this is an original.

hmm...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2014
  12. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Except the holes are in a different place in the two pictures. They run through the zero on eBay and through the 4 in the other picture.

13. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Am looking up pictures of the other cab side as we speak..

14. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Well just to late for the final buzzer, but someone has paid £465 for a replica cabside off 34105...of which we know at least one (if not both) were sold earlier this year for £29...

34102.jpg

Blown up from a copy of the below picture

Attached Files:

15. Reading General

looks at the back of it ....shiny and new metal.

16. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

if a renumber painted on the side of a preserved loco is worth £465.. maybe a that's a new source of funding for £20 of sheet metal painted and stuck on the side of a preserved loco for a few weeks ?

if Tornado did that and replaced the cabside every mainline trip (x2 cabs) that's nearly a grand in extra revenue every tour :)

17. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

Ouch the real shame is here that money has not gone to the railway to help restore a real west country class loco…! I can't quite figure this one out who parts with nearly £500 on a sheet of worthless metal without any form of re-search? Surely if you have the desire to buy something like this, you also have the knowledge that goes with it? Even a small google search would ring alarm bells as there are recent photos of Swanage with this number.

I suppose it does beg the question what is the difference between this and the real thing? When you see the prices paid for the exact same thing just 30 years older?

18. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

Its no different to the endless supply of smoke box number plates screwed onto Tornado for a couple of runs and then sold to raise money? However I doubt that the people buying the Smokebox plates expect a return on investment, whereas I bet this poor ebay buyer might be!

19. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Depends at this stage what you call real... 5690 Leander has been LMS with the number 5690 from 1936 until approx 1948... 12 years ?
    But in preservation it's been Maroon for nearly 40 years carrying that smokebox number plate

which is more original ?

Theres pictures out there of 60009's cab sides which were recently replaced, if they were it's originals but the locos been repainted at least 4-5 times since.. how original is it ?

I know given chance, if 45699 were to be repainted, I wouldn't mind one of it's Maroon cabsides.. it might not be 1960s heritage, but it will be historic.

20. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

Exactly…. its a bit like Lord Nelson is known to have carried at least 3 sets of name plates! So which is the real and therefore valuable set?