If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

34102 Cabside

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by Hurricane, Nov 16, 2014.

1. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    An original cabside flame cut plate off 34012 Launceston went for £1000 at an auction at Stafford earlier this year. At the same auction, a cabside flame cut plate off Std 5 73080 went for £380.
    Incidentally, the little yellow triangle below the number is missing off the Lapford/Swanage plate.

ADB968008 likes this.
  2. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Oh, you had me really excited there. I thought it was from 34102 as per the thread title.

34102 Lapford was the loco that Boy Gaffney thrashed up to 100 mph, (only truly confirmed to me as that speed when I retrieved my log books and a subsequent look at big brother Don's log which recorded it in better detail back them than anyone else I know of.). I also had a run behind it with Clive Groome driving where we reached between 98 and 99 mph on the level between Farnborough and Sturt Lane Junction.

A strong loco that lasted almost to the end. Even though it was pretty knackered in the last few months.