If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

35011 General Steam Navigation

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by GSN, May 15, 2015.

1. siquelme

siquelme Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The 35011 team posted this on the General Steam Navigation website.

First working weekend of 2016

We will be hosting our first working weekend on the locomotive at the Sellindge site between the 23rd and 24th April which society members are more than welcome to attend. They can get their hands dirty working on the locomotive or if they want they just pop their heads in and meet the team. Our aims for the weekend will be to catalogue all the components that were removed from the locomotive and moving them to a more secure location but all work is dependent on the weather being cooperative.

We have invited several members of the railway press to attend so we will be hoping for a good turn out to impress them. You can register your interest by messaging us through this website or via any of our social media platforms.

We hope to you see lots of you in April.

http://www.35011gsn.co.uk/news/first-working-weekend-of-2016

Swan Age, JMJR1000 and Adam-Box like this.
  2. CH 19

CH 19 Well-Known Member Friend

No I do not currently volunteer

3. CH 19

Looking forward to seeing you all, proud member 32

siquelme likes this.
  4. siquelme

I'll be up on the Saturday :) Should be a good day hopefully the weather is on our side tho.

5. siquelme

The 35011 General Steam Navigation are proud to announce that you can now purchase our mugs online through our website. We have 2 designs available with the first being our great logo designed by Stephen Bedser and the second design featuring a photo of 35011 in Aug 1957. Both designs cost £6.50 with £2.80 P&P international shipping is available but you will need to contact us so we can calculate the postage costs.

Www.GSN35011.co.uk/store

Attached Files:

CH 19 and Adam-Box like this.
  6. siquelme

March 2016 Update

[​IMG]
    The Great Cockcrow Railway's 1/8th scale verison of General Steam Navigation​

February proved to be another successful month for the 35011 project, following on from the Mid Hants gala our membership has been growing steadily and hopefully should be welcoming our 50th member in the next couple of days. The General Steam Navigation Locomotive Restoration Society Membership costs £10 for the year with members being kept up to date with the latest goings on with the locomotive, receive our members magazine 'The Packet' 3 times a year with progress reports on GSN and articles about Merchant Navy’s and the light pacific’s, access to the locomotive when possible and the ability to get involved with the society. If you are interested in joining our society you can find out more by here.

[​IMG]
    35011 at Sellindge​

As mentioned in our last post we will be hosting our first working weekend on the locomotive at the Sellindge site between the 23rd and 24th April which society members are more than welcome to attend. People can get their hands dirty working on the locomotive or if they want they just pop their heads in and meet the team. Our aims for the weekend will be to catalogue all the components that were removed from the locomotive and moving them to a more secure location but all work is dependent on the weather being cooperative. For members who are travelling by public transport we can arrange to pick up people from the local railway station Westenhanger. Please get in contact if you wish to take advantage of the car sharing arrangements.

[​IMG]
    35006's Whistle​

Today we are launching our whistle appeal as the Mid Hants Railway who kindly offered us the chance to cast us a new whistle for 35011. The MHR recently got a new whistle cast for their West Country class locomotive 34105 Swanage and will cast us one using the same patterns. The whistle will be a two piece cast and cost will be £250. If you’d like to contribute to the whistle fund you can donate via PayPal using the button on the website or by cheque if you contact us here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now available at our online store
    Following on from mug sales from the MHR gala last month our second batch of mugs have arrived which you can now buy online. We have 2 designs available with the first being our great logo designed by Stephen Bedser and the second design featuring a photo of 35011 in Aug 1957. Both designs cost £6.50 with £2.80 domestic P&P, international shipping is available but you will need to contact us so we can calculate the postage costs. A big thank you also goes out to ColourRail.com who kindly hasn’t charged reproduction fees for the photo of 35011 used on the mugs.

[​IMG]
    11 leaving Havenstreet​

Finally we can also confirm that we will be hosting a stand at the Isle of Wight Steam Railway’s ‘Island Steam Days’ event on the 12th June. We will be based at Havenstreet for the day and will be a great chance for you to chat to some of the team about the project and whilst your there see the lines freshly restored Ivatt 41298.

As always thank you for your support.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    CH 19 likes this.
  7. CH 19

That's great news, it seems I won't get to the working weekend so I will make darned sure I can get to Havenstreet

8. siquelme

The Isle of Wight Railway is a great visit I usaully go at that time of year so will be taking the 35011 stand to hopefully drum up interest amongest the Southern Railway faithful.

9. siquelme

[​IMG]
    Good evening,

Tonight we need you to help us buy our first part for 35011 by contributing to our whistle fund. The Mid Hants Railway 'Watercress Line' have recently got a new whistle cast for their West Country class locomotive 34105 Swanage and have kindly offered us the chance to cast us a new whistle for 35011 using the same patterns. The whistle will be a two piece cast and cost will be £250. You can contribute as much as you'd like to the whistle fund and you can donate via PayPal on our website and cheque or bank transfer if you get in touch. If every member of this page donated £1 we could buy it 5 times over. We have already raised a significant amount and would love to get the whistle fully funded by the weekend.

http://www.35011gsn.co.uk/sponsoring-35011.html

Thanks for your support

10. CH 19

You are a bit closer now.

11. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    I can't believe that I've just given money to a non-GWR loco! That whistle will sound good though.

12. siquelme

Thank you very much chap your donations are greatly appreciated.

Could be worse, I love GWR locos but since I started volunteering at the Mid Hants I have bought shares in one Merchant Navy and helping to run another one.

13. CH 19

Could we get a second one made and sell it the NRM, say £400 for FS......... tin hat, life-jacket, diving for cover

big-ted and Kinghambranch like this.
  14. siquelme

I've heard worse ideas this week.

15. siquelme

The whistle is almost fully funded now (at time of writing we are £50 away) so thank you to everyone who contributed.

Next step for me is start looking into getting a whistle valve cast so we can take it to shows. :)

CH 19 and Haighie like this.
  16. siquelme

We've done it! Thank you to everyone who contributed to the casting of our whistle.
    [​IMG]

17. GSN

GSN New Member

The General Steam Navigation team are hosting a stand at the Swindon & Cricklade Railway on the 23rd and 24th April. With most of our manpower at the working on 35011 at Sellindge the same weekend the society is putting out an appeal for volunteers to help man our stand over the weekend. The Swindon & Cricklade Railway is a brilliant railway to visit and with GWR 2-8-0T No 4247 is visiting the railway it will be a great way to see some steam and get involved with the project if you can’t make it to Kent. If you are interested in helping out please get in touch. Thank you

[​IMG]

Azrall and siquelme like this.
  18. siquelme

With our working weekend on Saturday and Sunday thought we add some "before" photos, these were taken on Tuesday by the 4DD team for us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Martin Perry likes this.
  19. siquelme

Spamcan81, GWR4707 and brmp201 like this.
  20. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Just out of curiosity who owns 35011. Is it the group or a group member?

Cheers