If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

35011 General Steam Navigation

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by GSN, May 15, 2015.

1. Bikermike

Bikermike Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes, as a motorcyclist, chain adjustment is a subject close to my heart (well, wallet, which is almost the same), a tensioner isn't hard to do.

I'd love to see it with gears, but I'll he happy either way.

Tbh, I think rebuilds look nicer, but variety is the spice of life

Richard Roper likes this.
  2. misspentyouth62

misspentyouth62 Member

I seem to recall reading (I can't seem to lay my hand on where exactly right now) that when the first Light Pacific was rebuilt, that very little of the original engine was reused beyond boiler & firebox minus smokebox, and wheel sets. As the boilers and tenders were interchangeable, were just wheel sets and axles/crank & bogie/pony carried over from original engine?
    Would it therefore be right to assume that the same had been true of the MN rebuilds? Would new frames and cylinders have been used for instance when 35018 was first de-canned?

3. Steve

Steve Part of the furniture Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Tensioning chain drives is relatively easy when the drive is uni-directional. It gets a lot harder when the drive is bi-directional. Things are not made any easier by the fact that on of the sprockets is on a floating axis (the driving axle) which not only goes up and down but also rotates slightly relative to the other sprocket. A similar problem exists with gear drives, which is why diesel and electric locos generally have nose suspended motors, having a fixed geometry with the axle.

Bikermike, jnc, std tank and 2 others like this.
  4. class8mikado

class8mikado Well-Known Member

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    But if the anticipated wear was such that system only needed a service every 120,000 miles... ?

5. class8mikado

class8mikado Well-Known Member

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    IIRC Correctly frames and outside cylinders were kept, though a new inside cylinder was required...

misspentyouth62 likes this.
  6. Richard Roper

Richard Roper Member

Librarian
    Sorry, I wasn't keeping up there!

Richard.

7. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Part of the furniture

Design Engineer
    And you can see that (not my photo of GSN) on the cylinders there is a cover where the original rocker (if that's the right word) came through from the inside valve gear to actuate the piston valves - obviously no longer needed with outside valve gear.

upload_2020-11-20_16-39-53.png

8. misspentyouth62

misspentyouth62 Member

Yes you're right and I'm frustrated that I can't seem to find the article that from memory, discussed the rebuild of 34005 Barnstaple at Eastleigh in 1957 and how the loco leaving was virtually a new build compared to when it entered the works as a spam can? I'm sure it will turn up after I've typed this. :)

Anyway, on the subject of MNs my 1974 copy of D.W.Winkworth's account of the Bullieds does state that main alterations were the removal of the steam reverser, the substitution of three sets of Walschaerts' valve gear for the chain-driven gear and the de-frocking of the can. Quote - the cylinder arrangements remained unchanged in principle although new inside cylinder was cast having inside admission and the steam chest offset to one side. This was a steel casting with cast-iron liners for cylinders and steam chests.
    The outside cylinders were retained with outside admission to save costs and required the use of a high-pressure gland for the valve spindle and 'special measures' to translate the actuation from the plane of the valve gear to the steam-chest centre line.
    Maximum cut-off was increased from 70% to 75% and some changes were applied to the super-heater. A new rocking grate and ash-pan design was applied and sanding gear on the tender was removed. The working weight of the locomotive increased by around 3 tons when redesigned and adhesion factor increased from 3.76 to 4.34.

Richard Roper likes this.
  9. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Apprentice Rail Engineer, MNLPS Treasurer, Author
    Just for clarity - having not read the report, I was basing it on my more limited knowledge of the Bulleids. I apologise if anything was inferred by my comments with regards GNLRS - I had no intention to (and as you know Graham, I am supportive of the project!) - nevertheless, you have my apologies.

Graham Muz likes this.
  10. Graham Muz

Graham Muz New Member

Development Manager - Kernow Model Rail Centre
    Hi Simon

Thank you, and yes your support of project is appreciated, my reply was more to ensure the correct details were put on record on here.
    As Simon S said we look forward to showing you around at Blunsdon the home of No.11

S.A.C. Martin likes this.
  11. siquelme

siquelme Member

#OnThisDay in 1944 an unnamed General Steam Navigation entered service with the Southern Railway. To celebrate the 76th anniversary, the General Steam Navigation Locomotive Restoration Society are delighted to announce in partnership with Bossman Games we have commissioned a regulator handle that will one day drive 35011 forward. Whilst this is many years away from happening in real life thanks to Bossman Game who are currently developing an original condition Merchant Navy for Train Simulator you’ll soon be able to drive a virtual GSN. The locomotives will be available in early 2021 hot on the heels of the highly successful rebuilt Merchant Navy model released in summer 2020. The Society would like to thank both Bossman Games for their financial contribution towards the regulator handle and Leaky Finders Ltd who produced another excellent component for us.

You can find out more about Bossman Games by visiting their website www.bossmangames.co.uk and for more on the General Steam Navigation please visit our website www.35011GSN.co.uk

Thank you

Attached Files:

clinker, 69530, Haighie and 3 others like this.