If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

35028, "Clan Line"

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by KentYeti, May 23, 2010.

1. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Now where did you get that piece of nonsense from? The fire was shovelled out onto the track/lineside by the crew and then doused by the fire brigade. I take it you've never dealt with injector failure/dropped plugs otherwise you'd know the procedure.

2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Is it on line?

3. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor
    My point was that the MNLPS are the trail blazers of the movement both in time established and the quality of their product. Clan Line is an icon to the preservation movement in general and the failure of her for whatever reason is a sad day for us all. With regard to the comment about the spare boiler - well I am sitting in an office in Leeds examining trial balances and nominal ledgers so I cannot profess to have knowledge of what has happened. But the comment relates to IF there is serious damage caused there are enough spare boilers out there attached to locos with no reasonable chance of actually running again....

4. dhic001

dhic001 Member

Yep, Ian Riley got it up elsewhere as soon as he got hold of it. Always the useful provider of good quality info.
    Daniel

5. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    The important phrase is that as a contributary factor "owners may wish to confirm that there is no restriction of the feedwater supply from the tender". It will take more investigation to confirm

6. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

Has there been any further info on the condition of Clan Line? I really do have my fingers crossed for some good news.

7. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

As soon as I receive the next Press release from the MNLPS I will post it here.

Cheers,

Bryan

8. Jon Martin

Jon Martin New Member

looks like 60019 is added to the list of failed locos

9. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Not failed as such. It started several lineside fires over a couple of trips so it is "temporary withdrawn" from mainline use whilst its spark arrester arrangement is being looked into.

10. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    If Ian Riley was the person who posted this confidential report to CIRAS on the web then I'm sure that he did so with the best interests in mind of steam preservation generally. That said, the report in question is intended to be confidential in the early stages for obvious reasons.

I only hope, therefore, that the report referred to was first agreed with the MNLPS before DBS submitted it. Otherwise, we are back into speculation, albeit from a more informed source. And with the greatest of respect to all those concerned, one should remember that this does seem to have been a serious incident and one that is completely out of character with what is known, anecdotally, about the high quality of the MNLPS's own maintenance track record and its expert knowledge of sound operating practice of its locomotive.

11. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    I don't think CIRAS has anything to do with it, a Network Incident Report (NIR) is issued when information available from an immediate investigation of an incident can help other operators of similar railway equipment.

Regards,

Dan

12. Big Al

Thanks very much for the correction. I wrongly assumed that CIRAS was what was being referred to. However, there remains the same point about making public beyond those immediately likely to benefit, as has happened in this forum. a piece of information, that may or may not be relevant, or true even, before the locomotive owners have themselves commented on the incident beyond their initial press release. Given their impeccable track record I have a sense that the MNLPS will make the right 'call' on this one when they are clear precisely what circumstances led to this incident happening and it's best for us to wait for that moment.

13. bongo jim

bongo jim New Member

Not nonsense at all...... Certainly would not be advisable to start shovelling fire out on to a third rail line without an isolation would it? From what i saw the fire was dropped into the pan and then the hose put in from above to douse..........
    Obviously not as clued up as you though, bet it would take some shovelling out of a merchant on the mainline, especially when theres a ton or more of white hot fire in there??? It must have been very hot for three valves to be up minutes before?

14. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    IIRC the rebuilt MN's have rocking grates and hopper ashpans as per the BR Stds, so where exactly does the "shovelling out" happen please?

15. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Blatent sensationalism , this is a Bulleid boiler and it steams for fun. so replace 'ton of white hot fire' with ' a bit bigger than your average bedpan'...

16. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    Surely the NIR report was in the public domain. It was there to help other interested parties. I don't think there was anything confidential in it. The report advised other operators to do checks, what's wrong with that?

17. Big Al

Nothing wrong with that at all, as I said earlier, if only other locomotive owners saw it and knew about it. Not certain it adds much to any wider debate such as in this forum as the implication is that this might have been a factor with Clan Line and we just don't know that till the MNLPS comments. Let's spare a thought for the people who maintain the engine and, indeed, the crew who at the time may have been witnessing something that they might never have seen before - i.e.the dynamics of a boiler prior to a fusible plug going.

18. IKB

IKB Member

removed

19. IKB

IKB Member

I ignored your 1st post on this, as I assumed you were new to the subject,
    but as you have continued with your nonsense I feel obliged to comment.
    No one in their right mind would put cold water into a hot firebox.
    Apart form the almost certain damage the box which you initially alluded to,
    the blowback of resulting steam from the hot surface onto the footplate could in itself be highly dangerous.
    With regard to the third rail, if you read back through the thread you will see that
    arrangements were made for the third rail to be isolated as soon as the incident occurred.

20. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

The following statement from the MNLPS should be shortly added to their web site. And they are happy for it to be posted here as well.

"............On Friday 28th May, as part of the investigation into the incident which befell our locomotive a week ago, the boiler and associated components were thoroughly examined by Inspectors from our Vehicle Acceptance Body and from our Insurers. These inspections confirmed our initial appraisal, that there is no visual evidence of damage to the boiler or fittings, and we have therefore been given permission to reassemble the dismantled components, and proceed with a steam test. This will be done during this current weekend.

Return of the locomotive to traffic will be dependant on the outcome of the steam test, and also on the outcome of the formal investigation into the cause of the incident, which is still ongoing.....".