If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

35028, "Clan Line"

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by KentYeti, May 23, 2010.

1. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Bristol was a diesel because the test run was cancelled by NR. Re-arranged for next week so here's hoping

2. Mikem

Mikem Member

I have been informed that there is to be a test run this evening 35028 + Coach + Diesel on rear

19.50 off Battersea Loop, Surrey Hills via Richmond. Back at Stew Lane about 23.00

Mike M. ( 70c)

3. aperture

aperture Member

Professional Photographer
    Just passed through the Staines area:Feltham 20.45pm going towards Surrey Hills.

4. Mikem

Mikem Member

Arrived at Shalford for water 21 45, a lovely beat as she passed through Chilworth

about 22.10.

Mike M. (70c )

5. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

A normally reliable source tells me that Clan Line has failed her FTR today (Fri 18th June), so won't be able to haul tomorrow's VSOE Surrey Hills train. I don't know the cause. (Given the recent problems, my guess would be injector issues).

The good news is that Tornado will deputise. This will make a very interesting comparison.

6. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

I'm away walking in the Derbyshire Peaks and Dales at present, but am using the PC in my walking companions flat. So just seen the sad news.

Hope to get an update from the MNLPS when I get home, so we know what the problem is.

7. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer

MNLPS statement below:

SATURDAY 19 JUNE STEAM HAULED ORIENT EXPRESS

''The Merchant Navy Locomotive Preservation Society (MNLPS) very much regrets that its locomotive Clan Line was today 18 June 2010 declared unavailable to haul the above train and unreservedly apologises for the interruption in service.

Unfortunately and despite a recent satisfactory test run, the Society has not yet been able to fully identify the cause of reported intermittent boiler water feed problems. Accordingly and until it is able to do so and operational risk is brought under normal control, the locomotive is considered not ready for regular service.

We are indebted to the A1 Trust for making their locomotive Tornado available at very short notice in order to haul the above train thus ensuring it is the passengers that receive the highest priority.

MNLPS are continuing their intensive effort to resolve the issue through a logical, analytical programme that is being shared with its train operator DBS. Further progress will be reported as we can.''

Sounds like a responsible locomotive owner group taking no chances...and quite right too.

8. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Many thanks Alan. Lets hope the approach being adopted gets to the bottom of the problem soon.

9. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    Must have been some gremlims that legged it before the DBS inspectors arrived the following morning.....

10. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

I wonder if the Injectors were stripped right down? After the last problem with Clanline 'Not picking up' ?

11. donbenn2000

donbenn2000 New Member

I hope to see Clan Line back soon as the main line is currently bereft of Bulleids. However I have to say that Tornado was a worthy stand in. It absolutely stormed past Shere Heath with the VSOE on Saturday with a full load and no DL on the back.

Don

12. GWRman

GWRman New Member

I heard from a reliable source that on the day Clan Line failed it arrived at Oxford, filled up with water and sat in the yard for hours. That day was a very warm day and the sun may well have warmed the water enough to make it difficult for the injectors to pick up. Also, with the air-pump in the tender (itself steam operated) I wonder if that could have warmed the water too...? I don't liked to speculate, but this would seem a valid explanation.

35028 is a fine engine and I wish the MNLPS the very best in getting thier loco back mainline as soon as possible.

13. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    You obviously didn't read the post from Wayne the main line steam driver that poured cold water - pun intended - on the "sun warming the water" theory. As Wayne said, have you any idea just how long it would for several thousand gallons of water to be heated by the action of direct sunlight alone? It simply won't happen to the extent the water is too warm for the injectors.
    Oh, you say you don't like to speculate - then don't. Simples.

14. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

i heard from a friend from NR that it might be injector related once more , or something on the water delivery side, i do hope that it gets sorted soon, can anyone connected with the loco conferm that this is the case?

i would assume that both injectors would have been stripped as a matter of course and it must be heart breaking for the suport crew to have go through everything as they have, only to have it fail again, but at least this time , its not sat down out on the big railway

15. 6024KEI

6024KEI Member

I know speculation is the stock in trade of discussion forums, but as the MNLPS have so far proved to be very open and forthcoming with information as to how things are progressing and what might be wrong, its probably fair to assume that as we don't know what is wrong, they probably aren't sure yet either! It may even turn out to be something as disappointing as a bit of scale/crud/rust that washes out of the system at some point without anyone ever spotting it and proving what caused the problem. I should imagine the poor guys working on her have probably stripped the suspect bits down so many times they could do a turn on Generation Game doing it blindfold! Cut them some slack and when they know, we will know.

16. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    We must all remember that we are very fortunate that the MNLPS have decided to be open about the problems with 35028, so with all due respect, let us not abuse their show of good faith during a difficult time by reducing this thread to an argument. As 6024KEI has stated above, when they know, we'll know.

17. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    As it is nearly a month since the unfortunate incident I would be very much suprised if they didnt know(one way or the other) what the cause was.

18. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

35028 has built up a deserved reputation for reliability.
    It has been used many times, over many years, even in very hot weather with no trouble from the Sun's rays or heat dissipation from the air pump. [Incidentally, travelling at speed between the Oxford water stop and 35028's problem in London's suburbs should have had, if anything, a little cooling effect on the water!]
    As has been said many, many times before on this thread - 5,000 gallons of water takes ages [days?] to heat significantly! Please place this 'excuse' at the bottom of any list until we know differently.
    The experienced crew experienced no troubles, apparently, until closer to London. This implies an injector or water supply problem - but MNLPS, as has been written before, will ensure a thorough investigation of the cause(s) before allowing their pride and joy to resume main line activities.
    For their sake - I hope the problem is discovered soon and 'fixed' easily.

19. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    I'm sure if they WERE SURE what the problem was it would have been rectified by their engineers and the loco. would be out and about again earning money.
    The MNLPS have been very open and decent about this problem, they should be left alone to sort the matter out. And they will.

20. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

I agree that the MNLPS should be left in peace to sort this out. They have been more than open throughout this affair and when they know the cause and cure I am sure they will inform us.

In the meantime, bearing in mind that the MNLPS were one of the pioneering main line loco owners and have always maintained a reputation for a superb turnout of the locomotive, both mechanical and physical, asking questions on here such as 'Have they fully stripped the injectors?' could be regarded as somewhat superfluous.