If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

35028, "Clan Line"

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by KentYeti, May 23, 2010.

1. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Even bordering on the insulting, that such an organisation would not have done that as the first step of the investigation.

2. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

Quite, I did think about phrasing it that way, but I am delighted that you as a Mod. said it!

3. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

You must admit though its very strange isnt it, but thats steam engines for you , would it be anything to do with someone measuring it up for a brass safety bonnet and a copper cap whilst it was sat at oxford? thats enough to make any self respecting southern loco decide to end it all ,then refuse to play again
    on a serious note though, i think we should wish the owners well and hope that they find whats causing the problem.

4. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

I think we are getting to the root cause now. Sending that lovely loco into an area where copper and brass abounds and where loco makers could only count cylinders in even numbers must have been having a long term effect on this magnificent machine.

And can you imagine what it must be like for a four foot eight and a half inch gauge machine to have to step out onto rails that could, at any time, suddenly revert to being seven feet apart?

Yes. It's all got too much for her. She needs lots of TLC from the MNLPS, (who have never, ever denied her that), and then a good spell of running between Waterloo, Basingstoke, Southampton, Bournemouth and Weymouth hauling trains made up of green carriages and/or Pullman cars.

5. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

I totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. martin butler

i think we are getting somewhere, she is suffering from greatwesternitus, and this was compounded by being fed unpure western water, as oppossed to southern spring water , this has an imidiate effect in bullied boilers, it turns to sluge blocking up the filters and is impossible to remove, the only cure is a full wash out , a bit like a stomach pump and repeated filling with proper southern spring water and a period of convalence on home ground then after a few years she should make a full recovery.
    there could how ever be another reason, she has had a nervous breakdown, after all she remembers seeing her sisters going to GW metals and they never returned and did she once hear a word whispered by the other engines? barry? then they start sending her up to oxford but sending her back each time

7. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...

In that case, imagine what it will be like for 35006 Peninsular and Oriental S.N.Co.! It can't be fun living in exile on a former GWR mainline where there is the constant threat of Halls and Prairies ganging up on you and the odd 56xx class calling round for a punch-up. Let us all take pity on these displaced Southern locomotives... Anyway, I digress (and this is all meant in jest)!

8. martin butler

ah yes but has she been greatwesternised yet? see she has been there so long that she thinks shes a king at least she goes around telling all the gw engines im the king here, dont you forget it also has toddington ordered a large vat of southern spring water yet? they had better you know theres only one cure

9. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Superb, absolutely superb.

10. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Agreed Spamcan, I guess if GWRman had read the previous posts it may have helped in not trying to stir things up again!

11. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

Well, assuming all goes as planned, to make her Greatwesternitis worse, if she sticks her head out of the shed on July 1st, she'll see the GWR is invading as well, with the beautiful 5029 Nunney Castle pulling the Cathedrals Express out of Victoria and round the Staines Ascot Reading line.

Clan Line would look quite nice with a few copper bits. And just think, you could whip off the smoke deflectors, paint over the 3 in her number, call her "Clan Castle" and the job's done. "5028" and 5029 could do a double header one day.

12. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Steve, correct that typo will you old boy. It must be 35029 that is hauling the train on 1st July. We don't have 4 digit numbered steam locomotives in Victoria, oh no.

13. Zthou

Zthou New Member

I have wondered if the steep (by railway standards) slope down fron the Western main line to the Reading to Earley line might have been part of the problem, as by the time I filmed Clan line at Earley the the Safety valves were all blowing. this distance is probably less than a mile and a half!

14. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Don't worry, we on the Southern have 9017 held hostage just in case Swindon tries any funny stuff.

(Incidentally, do you think that when the GWR inherited a Terrier, they had to cut it up because otherwise they realised their own efforts, copper-capped chimneys and all, would be embarrassed. Just a thought :)

Tom

15. martin butler

we do have a back up plan, she is going to be southernised smoke deflectors and post war malachite green lined livery and renumbered 2C1029 with SOUTHERN painted boldly on the sides and not a trace of copper and brass anywhere except where it should be

16. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

She will need to be "Southernised" to stand any chance of climbing to Grosvenor bridge out of Victoria,Ex. GW locos cannot cope with the shock of having to climb out of a London Terminus rather than have a gentle start trickling downhill

17. martin butler

Clan Line would look quite nice with a few copper bits. And just think, you could whip off the smoke deflectors, paint over the 3 in her number, call her "Clan Castle" and the job's done. "5028" and 5029 could do a double header one day.[/QUOTE]

Air smoothed Castle anyone? has tysley got any sheet metal left?

18. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    We don't do cheap and nasty copper things on the Southern. We do Brighton Brass and Guildford Gunmetal... Ok, I'll get my sunhat and leave!

19. Jon Martin

Jon Martin New Member

That's a shame considering Vic was part GWR when it opened.

Anyway, could it be that 35028 is suffered from unexpected side effects of the Large Hadron Collider? I bet the owners never thought of that. On the otherhand, I'd assume that since they are some of the leading experts in MNs, and actually know what happened in full, that whatever the problems is they'll probably firgure it out before anybody on here.

20. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    I say your assumption is spot on. Some of the likely "causes" quoted on here have been quite amusing. The "going downhill" one is particularly good IMO. :)