If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

4150 news

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by jtx, Apr 1, 2017.

1. jtx

jtx Well-Known Member

Happily retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    If there is another thread on this, my apologies; I didn't find it. I thought it was a shame and thought to draw attention to this long - running restoration, which has just taken a step nearer completion.

I am not a member of the group, for no other reason than that I am a contributor to several others; one only has so much dosh to spread around, and I missed this one.

However, I was the diesel driver in a 3 day shunt this week, which drew 4150 from its 20 - year sojourn in its oversized polytunnel and placed it into position for a 30 - ton crane to lift off the boiler and place it on a sleeper wagon, ready to go to Bridgnorth in November to be overhauled.

The newly - constructed bunker, tanks and the original cab were then lifted on to the frames and I shunted the whole lot back into its shelter, so the group can continue their excellent work in restoring this Barry survivor. There are some skilled and dedicated engineers doing the business here and I, a peasant driver, am in awe of their accomplishments.

When I put the Ruston in gear and the engine followed sweetly, it was the first time the wheels had turned in 20 years, and, according to one of those engineers, the first time it had moved with valve gear, valves and pistons attached since 1965!

I will trespass no further on their territory and was only moved to bring it to notice because I had seen nothing elsewhere.

Google the 4150 group and you will find their site: I would put in a hyperlink if I knew what I was doing, but I don't.

I hope your interest is piqued, and preferably enough to send them a shekel or two.

Regards,

jtx

GWR4707, Andy2857, Mick45305 and 6 others like this.
  2. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member Friend

Reading General likes this.
  3. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Great to hear this news for what is a milestone locomotive for the SVR - the last remaining engine in scrapyard condition.

Gav106 and Kinghambranch like this.
  4. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think those working on the loco may quite rightly take issue with your description of its current condition!