If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

4253 Restoration

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by admin, Sep 15, 2011.

1. YoungRailwayMan

YoungRailwayMan Member

Unemployed
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    hi bryan do you just deal with 4253 and 5668, or do you deal with kent and east sussex locos too

2. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

4253 Co only deal with the two locos they own, But several members are also involved with other locos, and there is cross over between work on 4253 and other locos if there is a urgent job, for instance the pannier needed some urgent work recently, and i believe that the working party on 4253 stepped in to assist. Im not involved with the KESR, now but when i was , i worked on 4253,and at the time some of us were also stripping the P class as a fill in when work slowed up on the gw tank, There was at first a lot of people who said, you wont do it, and it came to the railway against the wishes of the then GM, even when most of the loco volunteers were share holders in it, so no official help was given, but people fell over backwards to help strip the engine having the steam crane availible for the boiler lift and removing wheels , all done because Charlie and Bryan are very good at persuading people, plus it was a way of putting a finger up at a very unpopular GM he did not want the engine there, so ensured that it would be a success.

Great Western and Maunsell man like this.
  3. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Please note, for the avoidance of disappointment, that 5668 is NOT available for viewing at the present time.

4. martin1656

is it back in the secret siding ;) or tucked away in the back of the storage shed hoping no one notices it . after all it is charlie we are dealing with here :)

5. Fireline

With his typical negotiating skill, Charlie has managed to get one of the members to put 5668 in his garden shed, until we're ready for it.....

6. Bryan Atkins

Bryan Atkins New Member

Wanted urgently :
    Interesting photos of 42xx locomotives for a forthcoming book on 4253.
    Photos such as cab / back head lay out or in-between the frames. Please contact gwr4253@gmail.com.
    Many thanks !

7. 63A

63A New Member

The website for 4253 is always something to cheer up a boring work day lunch. The information and detail of the restoration is well presented and shows many parts that unless you have undertaken a similar restoration ( in my case a Black 5) most people do not know even exist. Whilst not something you would see growing up in rural Perthshire, it looks to be an ideal loco for the operation at the KESR (and a few other railways) - all power to those working on her.

8. RLinkinS

RLinkinS Member

There were Dean Goods working for the ROD hauling rail mounted guns in WW2. I think they were maintained in Ashford Works. Keith Catchpole gave a talk which included his reminiscences about working on them, including taking the guns from Kent to Okehampton for calibration on the ranges before D day.

9. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    I understand 4253 is now back on her wheels after the weekend. Updates only on fbook at the moment.

Andy2857 and Kinghambranch like this.
  10. Wenlock

Wenlock Well-Known Member Friend

Bus Driver
    If this link works it should go to the website with latest pics.

http://www.4253.co.uk/Whats_Happening_Now/

11. Fireline

It's great to see after everyone's efforts, and worth bearing in mind that she is a bit further ahead than she looks in the pics. Various bits had to come off the frames in order to make them easier to move, and allow access to the wheels. The smokebox, cab, tanks, bunker and running plates are all ready to go.

lil Bear and Wenlock like this.
  12. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Great stuff, she seems to be coming along a pace, where are things with the boiler?

13. martin1656

I popped in last Sunday to have a look, and was very surprised to see that she was so close to re wheeling, as fireline said, a lot of things are already done and re assembly should be a lot easier that taking it apart, i don't know what the state of the boiler is, but i'm sure someone will know, i will ask Charlie if i see him tomorrow, i guess the next thing is motion , assuming they have all the parts to hand but its good to see progress,

Wenlock likes this.
  14. Fireline

The foundation ring is being worked on at the minute. I think they have got the remains of the stays out of the firebox now. None of the platework for the new outer firebox has yet gone back on. Throat plate, half sides and backhead all have to be fitted, and then the fun job of staying can commence. The boiler itself is good, and most if not all of the tubes are sponsored. It's not going to be a five minute job by any means, but it feels like we're getting there.

LesterBrown likes this.
  15. Copper-capped

Copper-capped Part of the furniture

16. Fireline

4253 has now moved into the shed at Rolvenden. The pit will allow work underneath to start again. The two rods we haven't been able to find have been ordered. The boiler is still with HBSS, and a new appeal is going to be launched to help cover the cost of a complete re-stay of the boiler.

https://www.4253.co.uk/whats-new/ has all the latest information.

Johnme101, jnc and marshall5 like this.
  17. Wenlock

Wenlock Well-Known Member Friend

Bus Driver
    Just bought my two 'sets' of stays online. (Each 'set' is one crown stay, one copper stay and one steel stay)

18. Fireline

The most recent 4253 newsletter has revealed a shortfall in funding for the boiler repairs, caused by our fundraising team not being able to go out during Covid. If you have a few quid knocking around spare, please go to https://www.4253.co.uk/shop/sponsorship/plugs/ and either buy us a plug (or two), or send us a donation. With c.£25k to find, we need all the help we can get. The latest newsletter for 4253 is available at https://www.4253.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/4253_Newsletter_Issue_14.pdf

19. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

I may have missed it but is there a reason that 5668s restoration is seemingly taking precedence over 6619s?

lil Bear likes this.
  20. martin1656

6619 is, unless its changed is owned by the company so overhauling it will cost the company money, 5668 is privately owned, and came with a lot of spares, Some of which possibly could have been sold to raise money to fund whats been done so far, but having gigs etc to build the cab , bunker and tanks for 4253, those same gigs might have been adaptable to suit the same parts on 5668, so really the only cost would be for materials,