If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

4464 Bittern to do 90mph on ECML - 29 June & 27 July 2013

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by buseng, Apr 24, 2013.

1. malc

malc Part of the furniture

....or fast assault on Stoke Bank, out of the tunnel at high speed and a feather onto the slow line....

No, NR couldn't be that mean ... could they?

(In fairness, I hope and expect NR will recognise the significance of the occasion and allow 4464 to remain on the fast line down Stoke).

2. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    This was what I didn't get about the SR article making out this was a huge thing, not seen since the 60's, I can remember at least once being taken up to around 96 on a very late running special hauled by Green Arrow and assumed that such speeds were reasonably regular in the 1980's and early 90's.

Oh and before anyone has kittens about it and the possibility that Network Rail are trawling internet forums to dig for dirt on steam, I suspect it was nearly 30 years ago so I would hope that the chances of action against those driving are limited.

3. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Is that the same Steam Railway who said they couldn't report 46229's speed on its final run, but anyone who donated £96 would be told?

4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The UoSA run was in pre-privatisation days and the footplate inspector on the day was quite happy to tell the audience on Taunton platform what the speedo was reading when he tapped the driver's shoulder. Twenty years later I'm not sure what anyone could do about it anyway.

5. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

I hope all these trips go well, as planned, and with no unpleasant after effects for Bittern, who should be able to reach 90 easily on those many favourable stretches of the ECML where it is possible. Presumably the paths given will allow for decent spells of high speed running and not just a burst up to 90 (e.g. northbound in the Three Counties area and southbound at Essendine).

What I hope emerges from this exercise is that the right locomotives - e.g. some of the Class 8 Pacifics - might be given much better paths in the future that allow for more even time running and the ability for locos to drift up to their natural maximum as dictated by gradients. I still can remember the nonsense of the Tornado Top Gear trip as, after flying through Stevenage close to the permitted maximum we held back down the falling grades for over 20 miles. More to the point and with the same driver, Clan Line was similarly constrained for over 30 miles on the Southern Farewell Spectacular last July. That takes clever and professional enginemanship but it's not easy to achieve.

One sure way of avoiding steam trains getting in the way of faster services is to have faith in their ability to run faster making appropriate use of the grades. I know that modern traction drivers may have limited understanding of the concept but those that drive steam certainly do and would probably appreciate the ability to manage their locomotives as intended.

6. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Big Al
    Three Counties would do nicely for a high speed dash. Just down the road from me and the site of many a boyhood spotting session.

7. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

This has been in the "public" and Railtrack/NR domain for years and no action was taken against any individuals only a brief rebuke on arrival at Taunton on the A4 trip by a senior official towards the inspector followed by a handshake. So literally, in one hand he was boll**ked and in the other he was congratulated on what has turned out to be the fastest steam dash in preservation. Worry not, the driver on 60009 was on his last run and now retired and the inspector moved to Virgin Trains. As for Taw Valley, Mike Notley and I shared the brilliance of the run to Weymouth and that driver has not retired and is still on mainline duty today. He knows who it is and if he reads this - hat's off to you. Your excuse that the speedo at Winchester was reading 75mph and must have been faulty was a memorable response to questions asked!!

8. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Dragging the thread a bit further off topic. I had a run behind a big red Pacific just before the 75 mph limit was introduced. We had a storming run and at the end of it we went to the loco to congratulate the driver. A beaming inspector "apologised" to us for only getting her above 80 twice. It was his last run so they'd given him the regulator and he went out in style.

9. 46223

46223 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I remember about 20 years ago when the steam leg of the Cumbrian Mountain Express was extended to Crewe, on two different occasions we romped up to over 90 on the WCML, a bit out of order.............but sheer magic!

10. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Seems quite a few of us have these memories of 85+ speeds, I similarly experienced 90 behind PMR between Crewe and Warrington.

11. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Yes, that's the place to do it and some of the best runs also sometimes come when you least expect them. At around the time BR was saying goodbye to steam, I recall an engine with a wedge shaped front starting out of Crewe 'from cold' and then running the 24 miles to Warrington - start to stop - in under 23 minutes with 95 around Hartford. Some of the passengers had barely settled into their seats!

12. 46223

Probably the same trip I was on when she went out of Crewe like a bullet and hit 92 so I was told. My other high speed dash was with the same loco coming down from Boars Head and storming through Wigan NW at 90 which made the people on the platform sit up and take notice!

13. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

And these were daylight runs too. I wonder what took place under the cover of darkness before GPS systems became so readily available? There is also the story of one preserved pacific (and it wasn't red or green) exiting a tunnel with the needle on the speedometer well over the 100 mark whilst working out of London - many years ago now.

14. 46223

The second run through Wigan was in the dark. Watching the big Pacific take that second bend towards Springs Branch
    at that speed, the glow from the firehole door turning the steam from the safety valves bright orange, while clinging tightly
    to the corridor handrail was an experience I'll never forget.

15. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

They have been logged on several occasions into 3 figures. I believe that the unofficial record was 112mph.
    67s are rated over 100mph, so that would probably be the answer ... :)

16. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Ive done 102mph recently behind a 47... but as it was a 47 I wasnt really that bothered... the stock was 100mph and the 47 soon lost it.
    When it comes to diesels speed isnt that exciting..
    if you want the thrill of a high speed diesel.... go on a HST...
    some day soon riding a HST will be a thrill as it's the last regular "window hanging" fast diesel operation and soon they will start to succumb to the future, and doubtless HST railtours, celebrity liveries and reminiscence will begin.

17. royals pete

royals pete Member

Yeah, still the fastest diesel service in the world. everyday stuff through Reading almost nose to tail, and when they go it will certainly be quieter! They are excellent for the job they do; and First Great Western livery the best. (Although GNER was excellent). Formal without all the multi colours.

18. banana patch

banana patch Member

does anybody know where else in the world a steam loco can run at 80 plus for quite long distances?just hope it goes as planned

19. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Germany. Pacific 18 201 is passed for 160kph operation.

20. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Or 99.4mph in English money.