If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

4464 Bittern to do 90mph on ECML - 29 June & 27 July 2013

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by buseng, Apr 24, 2013.

1. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I was told by someone reliable who travelled on an evening ECS working with a popular Green BR Five in charge that the driver had her up to 92mph as he was eager to get home for his tea!

2. D1059

D1059 Member

Reminds me of a quote I read years ago - there were only 3 types of driver, those who ran all the time, those who never ran at all, and those who only ran when Huddersfield were playing at home :)

STEVE

3. IKB

IKB Member

Having just read thro' this thread, I find myself thinking along the lines of 'There's no satisfying some folk'.
    We've wanted steam at 90mph, we have the chance of seeing it and what do we get.
    It's only going to be for short bursts, we want it longer.
    It's only for three trips, why can't there be more.
    90's not much more than 75, why can't we have 100.

For goodness sake, be happy with what we're getting and enjoy it while we've got it.
    We're fortunate to have steam on the mainline at all, let alone at 90mph.

4. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

I think the speed that people have put their hands in their pockets and bought tickets for this event says vastly more than that last post.

A superb example of people putting their money where their mouths have been. Well done guys and girls.

Yes of course there are risks. But I suspect that, along with much else, that has to some extent been built into the pricing structure.

Am I going on it? No. Far too involved with the breeding cycle this year. (Short-Eared Owls, not Yetis), and have a bag packed ready to move at a moments notice to anywhere, (I mean anywhere), in Britain. Two weeks ago that was 60 minutes notice for going from Kent to Stirling in Scotland.

But I wish this venture every success possible. And hope the loco does reach 90 mph with no lasting ill effects. 90mph was always the magic number that was reasonably achievable sometimes in steam days on some routes. Three figures was not, something extraordinary had to happen to reach that number, there were far, far fewer of those than most people imagine. Proper ones I mean. Not loco speedo readings and by inexperienced timers.

So here's to some 90 mph steam running in 2013! Cheers!

5. donbenn2000

donbenn2000 New Member

Yes indeed well said bruv.

DB

6. Deepgreen

Deepgreen Well-Known Member Friend

Early retirement! (Ex-Business Improvement, LU).
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Another thing to hope for is a reasonably moist spring/early summer - it would be a cruel twist for fire risk to scupper the plans!

7. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Maybe they could put a class 67 on the back. Then they could run the rail tour up to 125 mph.

Does anyone have any idea how many miles would be covered running at 90 mph on these rail tours? Are we looking at small stretches of three to five miles or longer stretches between ten and twenty miles?

Thanks

8. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

In the latest Steam Railway they detail the stretches passed for 90mph. Over the 3 trips there is the potential for 250 miles + of 75mph plus running. There are some very decent stretches, but a word of caution that some of these are punctuated with 75mph 'slacks'!
    Unfortunately these trips are priced well out of my league, I can only hope that these set a precedent for others to look to follow. Otherwise I will just content myself with memories of Leander not so long ago which a certain driver who is also interviewed in this month's SR describes as his best ever trip, that will take some beating and put many larger locos to shame!

9. royals pete

royals pete Member

Referring back to earlier notes re SR report of high speed test on GWR in May; it is now MAY, so watching brief on when this might happen as I wouldn't like to miss it. Mind you, 4 or 5 coaches ??? Very interesting. Anyones thoughts on the run being overnight ?? Bearing in mind that Reading 'can't' be used in daylight ??...Pete

10. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I'd suggest keeping an eye out for a late night 5ZXX through somewhere like Slough on RTT would be a good idea.

I have a feeling the test run will be more than load 4/5, I'm Sure I remember reading somewhere that 47 hauled trains in Intercity days at 90 + were increased to at least load 7/8 as the extra brake force of another vehicle or two was needed in a couple of signal sections.

11. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Care to list them for those of us who don;t buy SR or don't have a WH Smith's Library close to hand?

12. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

29/6: 75-plus sections identified as Hitchin to Offord, Great Ponton to Crow Park, Arksey to Colton Jc... 66miles approx.
    19/7: Sessay to Darlington (N/B, but note a 75mph restriction at 29m 74ch), Durham to Low Fell (N/B), Aycliffe to Skelton Jc (S/B, but note a 75mph restriction at 29m 74ch)... 84 miles approx.
    27/7: Colton Jc to Arksey, Askham to Newark Crossing, Stoke Summit to Peterborough (note a 75mph restriction at Little Bytham viaduct 92m 58ch, with a 10mph restriction over a bridge south of Peterborough), and Abbots Ripton to Arlesey... 83 miles approx.

James at SVN

13. david1984

Not being familiar with that bit of ECML, how far is it from Stoke Summit to Little Bytham viaduct and from there onto Peterborough ?.

14. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

Dave.
    Stoke summit to Little Bytham - approx 8 miles.

Little Bytham to Peterborough - approx 15 miles

Attached Files:

15. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks. Two sections within a couple of miles of my front door. Excellent. I'd love to book on one of these runs but will be working for most of the day on each occasion.

16. david1984

Thanks DJW, somewhere between 2 and 12 miles south of Little Bytham looks best then.

17. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Probably Southall-Didcot-Southall overnight, much like 60019's previous test run on 24 April.

18. royals pete

royals pete Member

Yes, GWR, probably right, thanks for that. When/if it happens, am sorely tempted to have a' late night' (VERY late night) at Twyford station to see her on the racing stretch. Mmmmmm, would love to see it. Hopefully be able to see on the timings where the high speed running will happen first. ..Pete

19. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

Likewise, I would be tempted to go out for it. But I wouldn't be surprised if the timings were released only an hour or so before 4464 left Southall, giving everyone very little time to get out and see it.

James at SVN

20. royals pete

royals pete Member

See what you mean James, after looking at the 'movements' for the last one in Apr. Funny that the days and dates seem very confusing, nevertheless, there was not much notice. Looks as though I shall have to look at the schedule each evening !!! Pete