If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

4464 Bittern to do 90mph on ECML - 29 June & 27 July 2013

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by buseng, Apr 24, 2013.

1. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

of course there is a major on the day obstacle that could bring the house of cards down...

if a driver see's photographers trespassing on the line, reports it to control and everything is speed limited down due to hazard on the tracks..

2. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

That's a tad optimistic, it happens on EVERY steam run, as the idiots look for the glory shot. If it did get pulled or stopped, would feel sorry for the passengers and the people right side of fence. As for the proven idiots, well done.....

3. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

After seeing the Chelt Flyer timings, I'd be more concerned about what timings they pull up, a 90MPH loco on a section requiring an average speed of 40MPH anyone ?.

4. dublo6231

dublo6231 Member

IT
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Earlier in this thread it was rumoured for 90 mph tests in May - well its now the 13th and despite keeping a beady eye on RTT I can't say I've seen anything to suggest it has occurred yet unless anyone on here can tell me otherwise? Would we be looking at just a single proving test?

5. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    I dont think there are many spots on Southall - Dicot - Southall where idiots can get on the line, unless you jump off the platforms - Didnt see any when the Flyer was flying for example.

6. david1984

I think he means on the ECML, I can't see anyone standing in the cess at Twyford at 2am.

7. royals pete

royals pete Member

David, I'll be there if I know when so I'll get rid of'em :p

8. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Deleted. In wrong thread....der!

9. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Actually I think your comment about a hot bearing was rather relevant here Al.

There are not many greater steam speed freaks than me around, (at last I've said something EVERYONE on Nat Press will agree with. The "freak" bit of course!). But I would repeat I'd still feel much more comfortable about some decent stretches of 90 mph steam running if that was allowed after a slow build up.

80 mph, then 85 mph on increasing stretches before moving onto 90mph. An A4 on the ECML is the right combination IMHO but I just feel very nervous about the longer term implications of things not going to plan. Even though I most fervently hope they do go exactly to plan.

Going to have to keep my fingers crossed for a long time when these runs start.

10. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

Interesting... keep your eyes peeled on RTT on the 28th/29th May. There could be an ECS going to Southall from Eastleigh late on the 28th and returning early on the 29th. I can think of no other reason for this. If would also support the timings given on uksteam from a few weeks back when 4464 did it's first test run after maintenance, albeit the return is 30 minutes earlier.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/B20238/2013/05/28/advanced

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/B20239/2013/05/29/advanced

James at SVN

11. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

Not sure all scheduled as Relief and Goods line running by the looks of things. The limit is 90mph in some parts but surely the main line is more probable? Unless it is closed that night?

12. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Are you missing the point here? This might be the movement of stock from Eastleigh to where Bittern is? The run would then take place between midnight and 5 am on the 29th....and down the GWML

13. campainr

Ah yes that makes more sense.

14. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Or maybe Southall-Reading-Basingstoke-Southampton-Romsey-Andover-Basingstoke-Reading-Southall!

Give a good few miles at speed down Roundwood bank. And again down from Grateley to Andover. Plus some bits of the GWML

;)

15. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

This could be 4464, but the fact that it's timed at 75 (not 90) and booked on the slow is slightly odd... and the second diesel movement to Eastleigh would probably need to be re-timed if this is it!

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54778/2013/05/29/advanced

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54777/2013/05/29/advanced

James at SVN

16. david1984

I woulden't take much notice of the timed at 75 and Relief Lines, the "timed at" only shows the max speed of the train at the starting point (remember the plan is to get to 75, then have a gradual stepped build up to 90 +), and I highly doubt the down main is going to be chocca with HST's at 2am somehow.

17. dublo6231

dublo6231 Member

IT
    Aaaarrrggghhh - spend all month looking for it...then just when it looks like we have some cconfirmed timings i'm not going to be in Tilehurst the morning it looks like happening - especially as its booked ML virtually all the way back! How you guys end up finding this out using the RTT website is beyond me! I'm glad you do but its just typical that i'm not going to be around :(

18. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

I suspect that the real test will take place on the return leg. The outward leg is generally slightly adverse and it will take a while to bring the cylinders up to temperature from the start at Southall. Steam locomotives are not the best machines for acceleration and if the trailing load is correct at 420 tonnes this could be an interesting night out for both locomotive and crew. There will be a plan in force I would imagine and the "by stages" approach will probably be followed. Some have commented that 60007 is only just starting to feel as though it is coming alive at 75mph and 60009 is well known for having outstanding abilities but I have little experience of 4464, though logs published indicate that it can perform well yet it is well known that not all members of a class are created equal. Here is hoping for the best.

19. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Maybe an 80 mph run near Goring on the way down to Didcot. Then depending on circumstances, 80 - 85 between Didcot and Reading on the return and then finally a spell at 90 mph on the long gentle downhill stretch down through Maidenhead and Taplow.

If this is the test for the A4, and not a run out for a box! LOL!

20. campainr