If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

4464 Bittern to do 90mph on ECML - 29 June & 27 July 2013

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by buseng, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    After the euphoria of the high speed running, there was time to soak up the atmosphere of an A4 at Kings Cross. The sound of her chime under the arched roof was spine tingling.
    [​IMG]
    FQ5A9857 by KING COBRA 92, on Flickr

campainr, BR 73082, Haighie and 3 others like this.
  2. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    And the accuracy of each type of GPS as well, are the purpose built GPS devices better than the smart phones and ipads etc that have GPS included amongst their 'apps', and even the stopwatch/milepost timers, how precise are they when it comes to clicking the button when the post appears, it might be an easily sighted one or it may appear at the last moment, and come to that how accurate are the mileposts themselves....

3. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

The thing I think most about that claim is, I sure woulden't want to find out what the braking distance for a light loco from that kind of speed might be.

4. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yes, though I remember Kent Yeti, that doyen of NP timers, noting that not all mileposts are at regular intervals. A quarter mile post that is 50 yards short followed by one 50 yards long can give some strange peaks and troughs in apparent speed!

But beyond that, the story doesn't ring true to me for a more fundamental reason. In the 1930s, the LMS and LNER were battling for supremacy in speed and non-stop distance. The SR marketed itself on the cleanliness and clock-face timetable of its electric services. But the GWR gave an impression of being above such things. Instead, it plotted its own course as "the Royal Road", running swiftly but without apparent fuss; helped by a mainline that was ideally set up for continuous fast, but steady, running. Its public image was to portray itself as above the rather vulgar battle that its northern rivals were engaged in.

So I can imagine in the circumstances a rather nervous PR type asking Collett if there was any hope of a GWR loco doing something special for a bit of publicity. Collett no doubt initially refused, but eventually, after much pressing, agreed to do something to help out. But no public run with the press on board; instead a story concocted of a quiet Sunday afternoon run a quarter of a century before, impossible at that remove to verify. No doubt Collett chose a top speed he thought was so high that he felt no-one would take it seriously, and then doubtless had a quiet chuckle when the Railway Magazine swallowed it hook line and sinker, evidently too deferential of the GWR and its regal reputation. Or maybe the RM realised they had been sold a pup, but didn't want to lose their privileged access.

The bottom line is: did the GWR run in its locos fresh from the works by taking them out for a swift trip? I'm sure they did. Did that sometimes involve some hard running? No doubt. Could that have resulted in running at or near 100mph, even in 1906? Quite possibly - it would have to be quite an asthmatic loco not to reach 100mph down a steep bank light engine - and in 1906, Swindon locos had very modern front ends. But 120mph, when nothing on any other railway had got to even within about 25 - 30mph of that speed? That is simply stretching credulity too far. Quite apart from anything else, I can't imagine that a responsible workshop foreman would be desperately keen on pushing a newly outshopped loco so fast on its first run from the works.

BTW, I have it on no less an authority than "Curly" Lawrence that "Whitechapel" (the Spa Valley Terrier) ran a twelve coach train (4 wheelers) from East Croydon to Brighton and only lost time over the express schedule on account of water stops, running at 70mph through Haywards Heath. Not to mention a C class goods hitting 80mph through Farningham Road on the Kent mainline. 120mph from a Saint sounds equally plausible...

Tom

5. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

So Wind in the Willows was being economical with the truth when 65/592 hit 120MPH then ? ;)

6. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

So Collett would have had a hey day were Steam Railway around at the time, I suspect.

And it was often quite a lively run with an H tank down Hurst Green bank, I recall.

7. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Of course N2s on Quad-Arts would regularly match the Silver Jubilee schedule out to Potters Bar.

8. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Hopefully this thread about the reality of the recent A4 runs won't degenerate into farce with the stories of ridiculous speeds by steam. If I had £ for every one of those I'd build a new 35003 from whatever bits are still left, (only number and name plates), get it into 1967 condition by trial and error and then have some fun!

Not often I disagree with Al. But my view is that train timing peaked with the full use of continuous electronic timing, (ie a stop watch time), at every 1/4 mile post, (where available), by very experienced timers who knew the routes they were timing very well indeed. ie. All gradient changes and the accuracy of all mileposts:, (something all established timers knew way back in normal main line steam days). The resultant continuous timing spreadsheet left nowhere to hide errors. Relying almost totally on GPS these days does throw up differences outside of the error range of continuous electronic timing.

In view of some of my extensive research from the past I'd also stay away from dynamometer cars Al. At least those from the past. Strange things have happened with them. As SR showed when they debunked Flying Scotsman's once claimed 100 mph. Steam loco speeds do not jump 2 mph almost instantaneously and then fall back just as fast. But a jolted or knocked recording pen can.

That jolt or knock deprived us all of the loco that was the first to reach 100mph with no shadow of doubt, (even though it was highly likely reached earlier in the USA on more than one occasion). And that was a loco whose book meant it has always been a great favourite of mine: I was brought up on the book "2750, Legend of a Locomotive". But earlier, erroneous claims in the UK for the first ton, meant that wonderful machine was scrapped. A disaster IMHO.

Anyway. I've got a very nice house guest here at present , :):) so I'll leave the debate and hope it doesn't really go downhill, (LOL), from now onwards.

PS. I'm not saying don't use GPS. But do so with caution.

9. Big Al

Actually Bryan - I'm with you on this one. I remain deeply suspicious of phone apps and non dedicated kit but even proper GPS systems are often at the mercy of sight (sky) lines and just because there's a particular value doesn't mean that it's right. It also helps to know exactly what is happening with the gradient. The only way to minimise possible error is to maintain a continuous record and then retrospectively analyse it for error.

It's not my habit to do so as we seldom get much on the main line that really warrants it but these Bittern events were a good example of when it's useful. Driven to Plan B because of the dark last Thursday, the resulting chart gave me a pretty good fix on the run especially around Darlington and subsequently. As for the stop watch timers, that was all there was at the time but the good ones knew the limitations and worked to minimise that.

It's 2013. Steam ended a generation ago and here we are discussing the complexity of recording steam at high speed on the ML in the UK. It's almost surreal.

10. RalphW

Another thing that I have observed with GPS, whilst we think that there is a continuous view of the sky, trees etc at the lineside can cause loss of reception as at speed, these can become a virtual wall thus blocking the signal, which being low power and can easily be lost in the clutter.
    My system shows me the number of satellites being received, a fix is obtained with 4 satellites but the accuracy improves vastly when it get to 7 and above, but even then the odd spike appears.

11. Spamcan81

Training moles
    For most of us GPS will be fine. Not an avid train timer as my passion is sound recording. My iPhone app was good enough for me. I ignored the transitory peaks and was happy with the continuous speeds being displayed.
    So a maximum of 92/93 down Stoke is accurate enough although I respect the fact that others will want a more precise figure.

ADB968008 likes this.
  12. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I should think the ideal, if it's possible, would be a high-quality GPS system (possibly better than currently available inside a smartphone) but linked to a smartphone or other computer to log the LOCATION rather than just the speed every few seconds. Then the log would be fed into an appropriately modified version of the Yeti's spreadsheet for analysis and exposure of errors.
    (Edited: typo "of other computer" corrected to "or other computer".)

13. Big Al

Absolutely. And whether, for example, it was 95 or 94 just north of Darlington is somewhat irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. The critical point is that clearly the DBS crews were all 'speed sensitive' and that will be good for trust into the future on any possible high speed runs. I'm sure that NR has its own private view about each set-up that operates steam and whatever else may have been said about the previous crewing issues, my guess is that the NR 'black book' still has blank pages as far as DBS is concerned. That could be very useful.

rule55 likes this.
  14. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

Most phones don't have GPS - they have location services based on triangulation from transmitters. I'd be wary about placing too much weight on the outcome… good for basic mapping, but I wouldn't recommend calling in an airstrike based on the results… ;-)

Simon

15. Spamcan81

Training moles
    For me it was all about emulating the late, great Peter Handford. He got 112 of course and 60007 worked that bit harder and that bit further down Stoke Bank. He recorded three tons that day and I had to make do with three 90s but I've got my own Triumph Of An(other) A4 Pacific so I'm well pleased. If the success of these runs leads to more high speed trips then so much the better.

16. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Your not suggesting tank engines can't go fast or that wheel size is an inhibitor to speed are you ?

17. RalphW

And this is what the MemoryMap system as used by pjhliners and myself does, a dedicated GPS unit, bluetooth connection to Netbook/Laptop, showing on a moving map the precise location, with readout of speed and height together with gradient and speed profile as required. This data saved for further analysis later. So looking at a copy of Peters log from the first trip, I can tell you that going under the road bridge at the south end of Thirsk station the speed was 90.4mph.

18. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

Most smartphones have full GPS.

19. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

I run Memory-Map on my smartphone as well as a few other GPS based apps. I used to lug a laptop running Memory-Map and external GPS antenna around but there was no significant difference between the laptop results and the smartphone.

The location data is not always accurate with GPS. If the location data is wrong the speeds will be wrong as the speeds are derived from the location and time.

20. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Yes, but the location errors will be easier to detect and adjust for, using the spreadsheet, than if one only has the speed data.