If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

4468 Mallard

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by 73129, Nov 5, 2008.

1. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Hi everyone just been reading this months Railway Magazine and on page 45 there is a question about Mallard. Should this loco be returned to steam or should it stay in York. I think that it should remain at York for visitors to see. There is no need to see another A4 on the main line or at preserved railway when there are already three A4s in steam at this moment in time. If there was a choice of locos to bring back to steam I would like to see 4003 Lode Star back on the main line or on preserved railway line.

2. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

My personal belief is Lode Star should not be resteamed either, it has some special thing about it's paintjob (last by BR at Swindon or something?) and once you've touched it it's gone forever. You won't ever be able to get it back, and you'd happily sacrifice a much underrated part of railway history just to see it running at 25mph with 5 coaches hitched to it? Sorry, not for me. I don't care how unique it is, the loss of the historical paint job outweighs it.

Also, the engines mounted in the NRM are the engines future generations can play with, if we run them all and knacker them all now, what do the future generations have to run for themselves?

As to Malalrd, my belief on that is in my signature, people don't look at it in the logical sense, of "we have three A4s mainline, is there a market for a 4th, bearing in mind they aren't exactly the most suitable for preserved lines", it's a case of "I don't want this one anymore, I want that one". Look at how quickly the novelty of Bittern wore off. All that happens is Mallard returns, 18 months later you end up with a Truro scenario, it's no longer the big thing. SOmething else comes along to usurp it and steals the headline, and the NRM are leftholding a large, garter blue baby having spent a fortune on it and unable to hire it out.

3. James

James Part of the furniture

Haven't we been here before?

4. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    With 7, 9 and 19 there is no point steaming Mallard and the costs involved would be best spent elsewhere. As for a Star, while she would be fantastic - its not really much use and is best placed in the NRM. Also - there is little else at York to represent the Greatest company of the day. I believe that the best policy for loco use is to focus on Scotsman. I don't much like the loco but IF 4472 is marketed correctly and a regular programme is built up with adequate time off for maintainance and funding allowed she should be an earner. However if they do what they have done in the last few years there is little point...

As James said tho - Im sure ive posted the above before now...

5. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It's only paint :-# :-#

6. stepney60

Ah, but because we're not talking about the colour it confuses people, you see... ;-)

7. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    KGV?

8. Tracklayer

Employed
    wooo... 2 GWR engines against how many from the LMS camp...

9. stepney60

It's true they're underrepresented at York, however I would argue they are overrepresented in terms of numbers of lines preserved and number of engines distributed round the country.

10. Tracklayer

Employed
    Agreed - And in the same vain, the LNER are under-represented on a national scene (except A4's) but the NRM have 2 pacifics allong with a range of other Eastern machines...

11. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

I my mind there are far better candidates for re-steaming than Lode Star which in my mind should be kept in original condition.
    Two LMS engines stand out those being No.1000 and No.2500 but then everyone could argue for a age on which engines they would like restored to working order from the National collection.

My view point in half the time this kind of subject comes up is simple: "If you want it so badly why not build one." A Dean Goods would be a easy new build to create from scratch.

12. Tracklayer

Employed
    Yes please...

would also be economical and useful for a whole range of preserved lines...

13. papagolfjuliet

papagolfjuliet Member

Off the top of my head I'd say that there are at least four GW engines at York: KGV, 'Lode Star', the 28XX and the 'Iron Duke' replica. Besides, the other Big Four companies do not have publicly owned museums dedicated to them.

14. richard_3672

richard_3672 Member

student
    I think they should bring back Ellerman Lines!!! 8-[ :-$

15. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I agree 100% , Historians of the future would regard us as idiots with no sence of the importance of the paint and the other bits of information locked up in lode star. If it was steamed people would go, Again, again when its ticket runs out (like green arrow), then more bits and bobs will be replaced until it has little historical value left.

With Mallard it would be nice in 10-20 years. Stepheny's comment of the 'new toy' effect can be true but 70013 will always be popular and in demand.
    I myself have never seen Mallard in steam, I would love to and I think so would the nation.

16. stepney60

To an extent, but then many other engines have had historical claims to fame. Truro is a prime example. A few years ago, it was the big news, every time it steamed it was big news. Now it's just another run-of-the-mill engine. Same with Nelson. And the Super D.

Have you seen any of the other three A4s in steam? I would imagine Mallard to be a fairly similar experience. I could understand that comment if it were made about a unique engine. But A4s are almost common. Indeed there is arguably too little work to justify three being on the mainline at the same time.

17. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I have ridden behind Gresley on the NYMR and been on a railtour with 60009 and seen Bittern at Norwich, the reason I would like to see mallard in steam is the fact that its Mallard, I would like to say ive ridden behind a record breaker.
    A re-run of the 15 G special behind 70000 would be the same experience as if it were run with 70013 but the number and name makes the whole experience what it is.

18. Mr Davo

Mr Davo New Member

I went from York to Scarborough and back behind 4468 in the '80's, when I see it now it brings back memories of that day for me.

I saw 60007 pulling the Cheshireman on Saturday. In my book, an A4 looks 150% better with the skirts on, in LNER livery. Not trying to start a 4472 style 'what colour' debate here, obviously 4468 is kept looking close to her condition as she was when she broke the record, I'd just like to see one of the 3 A4s in steam get its skirts and LNER identity back, for the mileage run these days, maintainence wouldn't be impossible.

19. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Given how good 60163 looks in Grey.. whats the chance of out shopping one (any one) of the A4's in Silver Link livery again ?

20. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

I'd like to see one in wartime black