If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

45015 - The end?

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by Martin Perry, Jun 10, 2010.

1. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

As long as the owners of the chicken shed are not attaching the price of a palace to it's value.

2. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    If you visit the NYMR and travel on the teak train, which most people agree is rather good, just bear in mind that several of them were "henhouses" in the long siding only a few years ago. There are more awaiting their turn but they are sheeted over and conserved so they aren't deteriorating any further and will eventually get restored - but if they are scapped or allowed to deteriorate too far there is no way back.

3. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

It would be good if the present recession results in a fall in vintage rolling stock prices, so that perhaps less affluent and/or younger people can afford to take them on.

4. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Very true! How many of us have heard of someone (or even been that someone) who had the enthusiasm to take on such a project, only to be stopped dead by an owner (usually not seen on any railway for 10+ years) either refusing to sell or attaching an unrealistic price?

5. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

There is a paper at http://www.vintagecarriagestrust.org/papers/Paper for IATM active.pdf discussing the merits of restoring coaches. There is actually much more sense in restoring those, which are often rare examples of railway vehicles, which can be used throughout the year to provide a visitor with an experience, than yet another peak that is sitting in a siding "awaiting restoration" with funds/labour the owner doesn't have. Though no doubt the owner prides himself and on being a locomotive owner, and contributing something useful to railway preservation, if he put his overinflated ego aside and woke up and smelt the coffee he would note that even if he did have the resources to restore it it would only come out twice a year to trundle 3 miles up and down a couple of times.

6. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

I agree with you about steam loco owners believing they are sitting on a winning lottery ticket. So which steam loco will be the first ex BR loco to be scraped since 1980?

7. Coboman

Coboman Member

I'd say that the sole surviving Doncaster built 8f is scrapped in all but name to build yet another GWR clone, as if we didn't have enough already......

John Merry and Robkitchuk like this.
  8. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

That is a key point; while you may not have the facilities, finance and manpower to restore something at present, if you have a conservation strategy then this can ensure the items see the day when these may be in place. Too many people do not appreciate this point and leave valuable historic artefacts unsheeted, open to the elements, rendering them ultimately more costly and time-consuming to restore.

9. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    There can also be the case when owners do manage to invest in covering up rolling stock, only to return some time later to find the covers damaged and/or stolen. It can be very demoralising when tarpaulins are slashed rendering them useless.

10. Rileys Ghost

Rileys Ghost New Member Account Suspended

11. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    as much as a County or a saint or a Patriot or a Grange will (And I'm a grange member before you all start)

In the grand scheme of things they're all a folly, doesn't mean we shouldn't do them..

12. Rileys Ghost

Rileys Ghost New Member Account Suspended

Could such money be better spent elsewhere?

:rip:

13. 24C

24C New Member Account Suspended

45166/70 - The beginning?

deleted

14. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

But what is the optimal strategy? There is already not enough work for too many preserved diesels. So rationalisation of fleet numbers is possible if they get too expensive to maintain. In the long term therefore the best use of many diesel locos would be as spares to keep the ones going. That's probably the best use for 45015 now if any groups are interested in the parts. Meanwhile in the future, it may be necessary to cannibalise what are now fully restored and operational locos to keep others going.

15. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear; I wasn't referring to the present case, rather the example of the NYMR teak set that was used in the post previous to mine.

I agree that a number of (particularly diesel) locomotives will end up being broken up for spares donors. The issue is that at present it is difficult to see how such a reasonable idea would operate on a practical basis, given the pattern of ownership of many such locos by individuals and smaller groups. There are of course solutions, but one will always encounter the obstinate individuals who won't countenance such a prospect as they will get round to it 'one day'.

As for 45015, my last recollection was that there wasn't exactly a great deal in the way of spares to be recovered from it; I am aware of some of the issues around it (court cases etc), but best to put it out of its misery.

16. Paul Denison

Paul Denison New Member

Just to put everyone in the picture, a rescue attempt is being put together for 45015. Yes we know theres a lack of parts, yes we know there are legal complications, yes we know there is asbestos issues to be dealt with. This is far from an easy project and there are thousands of reasons why its impractical but nonetheless were going to have a try.

17. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Best of luck!

18. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Indeed, having seen the wreck in Shackerstone headshunt a couple of years ago, it's about the most shagged looking ex BR Diesel I have seen, a couple of comedy attempts to restore it which got no further than a Facebook page have done no favours to any genuine attempt.

Also with a lot of diesels going for scrap, you have to remember (particularly with 37's and 47's and more recent types), there's still quite a few of them about, so if your loco has a major fault with it, and one in better mechanical condition is available, often the original loco will get binned, why have a lame duck when you need not do so ?, the DRS 47's could well find themselves surplus to requirements rather soon (though a few more electric heat types 4 could have WCRC interested).

19. GEARJAMMER

GEARJAMMER New Member

Id like to see 45015 sent to the NRM and kept in the condition its now in (no im not loosing the plot, hear me out) people go and look at all the shiny restored exhibits at York but there is nothing there to show the public how these things looked when they came out the scrap yard, having survived this long it would be a shame to see it (45015) scrapped, it could still tell a story at the NRM, the story of preservation. Also id like to see Bulleid Pacific 34073 sent there to (or a steam loco in similar condition) to tell the same story.

Going off into fantasy land imagine being at the NRM, walking into a two road engine shed split into two halves (or even a tin shed as that is were a lot of preservation takes place), 45015 on the left, 34073 on the right the lights dim with moody lighting walking between the two with various articles/artifacts showing how they were left to rot in scrap yards after BR finished with them, then walking into a the second half of the shed to see behind them D200 and 34051 in fully restored condition under bright lights, might make people understand how much work goes into railway preservation.

Matt37401 likes this.
  20. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

seems to me there will be lots of useful bits that should be salvaged, not least the bogies for a 10201/2/3 replica one day maybe?