If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

45699 Galatea

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by TonyMay, Apr 3, 2010.

1. noelist

noelist Member

LGV C+E(FormerlyHGVClass1) Driver
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    have just got round to posting this video of galatea as a rolling chassis being shunted to the erecting shop, should be nearly finished now, or maybe not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG6yVHk6CJI

there's also a wobbly shot of tangmere's cab, still outside middle shed mon21stjune.

2. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    Nearly finished? There isn't any valve gear on it for a start...

Regards,

Dan

3. noelist

noelist Member

LGV C+E(FormerlyHGVClass1) Driver
    well that video was taken 24th may but you're right its probably not nearly finished.

4. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    It has all its wheels and they're all turning. I'd say that's a great improvement!

Regards

5. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Just because its a rolling chassis doesn't mean its on the final stretch. There still the valve gear and motion to be installed, and the boiler plus final pipework etc. What is shown above is simply the bare skeleton. I'd say we've still got a while to waiting before we get to see 45699 strutting her stuff.

6. 7911

7911 New Member

Going back to the caption competition on page 2, how about "all agreed that the Picasso rebuild left a lot to be desired".

7. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

What we dont know, and should not speculate about, is whether Carnforth have made any further progress with the firebox repair which from the earlier images on this thread is/was "extensive".

A rolling chassis must denote progress, at least in respect of the "bottom half", but I suspect they are still a long way from turning out a pristine ex-works "Jubilee".

Something to look foreward though, 46115 and 45699 out over the S & C with "Thames Clyde Express" or "Waverley" headboard.

8. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

How about both locos passing each other on the S&C one day, one with TCE headboard, other with Waverley headboard?

9. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

I personally cant wait to see it in steam along side Leander! Having spent so long in it's shadow (Last time must of been when they were both Bristol Barrow rd engines) and although leander is my all time favourate (long story about how that came along so I wont tell it now!) It will be nice to see 45699 step out of the shadows and take some of the limelight.
    Now if we could add the other two jubs to the mix that would be something!

10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I think seeing Galatea and Leander in steam side by side would be a bit of a race.. 5690's ticket's up soon surely ?

11. conireland

conireland Member

Think it first steamed in 03/04 so sadly it seems so... hopefully the overhaul won't include anything too major to sort out and this beautiful machine will live again.

12. gmhatter

gmhatter New Member

What a tribute that would be to the late Brian Oliver.

13. bongo jim

bongo jim New Member

Why single him out? What about all the other stalwarts who have put so much into saving and keeping these loco's alive, such as Peter Beet, Bahamas LS, Pat whitehouse and currently David Smith?

14. Pete Thornhill

Erm I think thats becuase he saved the pair in first place maybe?!

15. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Absolutely - for those with memories that long.

Without the pioneers today's enthusiasts would be hard pressed for choice.

16. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

conireland: 45699 hasn't been in steam since withdrawal from BR service in the 1960s, and with a driving wheel cut through was regarded as a "mission impossible". Its purchase was as a possible spare boiler/firebox for Leander.

Like others with a long memory, this was an ex Bristol Barrow Road engine seen many times passing my childhood home on heavy cross-country services between Cardiff/Bristol and Newcastle via Sheffield.

The "forgotten" Jubilee is 5593 "Kolhapur" owned by Clun Castle Ltd (I stand corrected if that is not the case now) and I wonder what plans there are for that engine? It does not really fit in with the Great Western image at Tyseley. Is 5593 still stored at Barrow Hill?

17. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    5593 moved to Tysley a year or so ago. As for a return to steam I'm not sure.

18. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

5593 might not be quite that forgotten, something will go into the workshop space 7029 would vacate and with 5080 out at Quainton Road and two working Castles already i'd be suprised if it's that.

19. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    The big question is really 45596

Since the BLS meltdown after being forced out of Dinting - which should never have needed to happen, and is entirely down to incompetence, and the move over the Pennines - with a largely Stockport and Peak based volunteer force the financial and volunteer resources of the society have dribbled away.

A team of about half a dozen performs miracles on 1054 and Nunlow, but 5596 sits forlorn and silent in Oxenhope

Not what George Davies, Alan Bidder and Geoff Walker strove for back in the mid sixties

20. Pete Thornhill

If you read the previous post I think you will find he was talking about 5690!!!