If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

45699 Galatea

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by TonyMay, Apr 3, 2010.

1. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

How come Tyseley arent donating this to the Patriot project ?, what other Jubilees / Patriots are ever going to need it ?

2. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Money is still money...?

3. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Actually were buying our motion parts from BOTH Tyseley and Carnforth. And although it would be great to donate them to us both partys are happy with the agreement. We supporting them and there getting money towards Clun and then (more important to me as its LMS) Kolhapur. They already let us use the wheel patern and were invited to there open days with our trade stand as well. But if you would like to sponsor the items for us i can arange that wink wink nudge nudge.

Any way just seen on another web site from a chap named Ian Hewitt QUOTE "We'll be another 10 months or so as we have issues with the front laps in the firebox and we need to replace about 2/3 of the side sheets. We put new elements in her last winter and replaced all the small tubes the year before so it could be worse!!!!" END QUOTE hmm does this mean the end is in sight??????????
    -

4. gmhatter

gmhatter New Member

Please forgive my ignorance if incorrect but is this the same wheel pattern that was commisioned and funded by Brian Oliver and the original consortium who bought Galatea from the severn valley?

5. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

yeh thats the one. i was in the understanding that it was tyseleys but i could be wrong

6. HennersJames

HennersJames New Member

MPD Cleaner - Bewdley, SVR
    With 5690 out of action, I think the mainline is missing a Jubilee. With this in mind, could anybody update us as to how close to completion 5699 is?
    Cheers, Henners

7. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Good luck! She'l be ready when she's spotted on the Hellifield circuit! Agree on the lack of Jubilee action though. Leander is progressing nicely though according to Mr Riley 'elsewhere'. Perhaps she will be back before 45699.

8. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Very true WCRC/David Smith is very quiet with things like this and I think it makes it more exciting personally. The first signs will be smoke from Carnforth yard or as you say on the Hellifield circuit.

9. irwellsteam

irwellsteam Member

-
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Overheard a WCRC footplate man last week saying that both 5690 and 45699 are expected at around the same time, apparently the first half of next year.

Like I said, idle gossip, among railwaymen, so don't quote me to it

10. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Hmm now that would be great. 2 jubs. Would be great for the Re-opening of the Churnet valley to mainline hopefully summer 2012

11. bongo jim

bongo jim New Member

I remember that consortium now you mention them, one of them in particular. I wonder if all the money they raised from donations to the good of the loco ever got passed on to carnforth?

12. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

I am curious about this locomotive. I see that this page has not been update since August and would like to know what people currently know about this locomotive.

13. John Hillier

John Hillier New Member

Guys,
    I agree that we need a 'Jubilee' working again. How about supporting STEAMS LAST BLAST Appeal for 45596 BAHAMAS, the first 'Jubilee' to be saved and which resulted in the subsequent purchase of both Leander and Galatea. Details: www.bahamas45596.co.uk

14. grant1

grant1 New Member

Kitchen Designer
    As a big fan of Jubilee's I would love to see one back on the mainline, Hopefully Tyseley will get Kolhapur up and running after 7029.
    Think they have done a mint job of repainting her after the GCR left her in that HORRIBLE green, she looks amazing now.

5593 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

15. grant1

grant1 New Member

Kitchen Designer
    I would love to see Kolhapur up and running, Well chuffed that Tyseley have repainted her from that horrid green that she was painted in! she looks amazing in her proper colours.

5593 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

16. mike1522

After reading the Railway Touring Company 2012 brochure 5699 has been listed as possible motive power for The Waverley tours in July and August.

17. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

So it is..................... now that would be great. so surely if its possible that it will be running mainline in July it would need to start doing some testing VERY soon. The last bit of news i heard was that both Leander and Galatea would be ready together. But who knows. As always it will be ready when its ready

18. John Hillier

John Hillier New Member

So many rumours! I heard that several months ago but of course problems with 46115 and additional unexpected contract work have affected the timescale! We will carry on with our Appeal to get THE unique Jubilee and arguably the most powerful working again!

19. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Forgive my ignorance, but what are the problems with 46115?

Regards

20. mike1522

Orion I don't the technical answers, however 46115 has had 2 years filled with huge ups and downs. I actually think that the scot has been run very hard and truly needs a long rest. She is worn out in my opinion,

2010 LMS 6115 ran a couple of the Cotton Mills Expresses with a failure each time. Result= discontinuation of the Cotton Mill express in winter 2011.
    I also think that she had another failure later on still in the first half of the year. The second half of the year after repairs she ran flawlessly.
    2011: More flawless performances continued until late July when she had a fire grate issue. Quickly repaired and back on the mainline pulling the Waverly on July 30 While running trips on the Scarborough Spa Express the following week the big failure occured in early August.

The Scot left a huge gap
    requiring that the 44932 and 48151 run all the remaining trips of the summer season. 45231 eventually showed up but had failures of her own with her duties on the Jacobite completed. 46115 returned in Late September headed to York and the LMS festival practically being pulled by the 8f to get there and then labored back to Carnforth. A diesel had to be on the back of the Scots train over Shap and Settle and Carlisle lines on October 8.

I believe that getting Galatea and Leander back on the mainline is the key for success in 2012.