If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

45699 Galatea

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by TonyMay, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    That would be light green to reduce weight!

andalfi1 likes this.
  2. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Its most likely they would prefer to use 46115 or eventually 35018 & 34016 for Shap northwards trains. Presently the Scot appears hors de combat and a comparable sub isn't yet to hand. The only choice therefore is to let a Jub take the strain.
    Bit surprised 34067 hasn't been returned north while southern ops are on hold.

3. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    But there was also the start out of Preston up through Leyland where she managed the 12 without too much trouble, I only linked to the Warrington video as it's the only one I could find, apart from my on board.

4. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

[Had the Brit not been following so close would there have been pages of comment on Galatea's performance? Probably not. QUOTE

Very true. We would all be writing celebrating Galatea taking 11 over Shap with no diesel assistance. Curse the TPE!!!

5. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Strange. Just listening to the exhaust on Ralph's video, Galatea has very even exhaust beats. Maybe time plays tricks, but back in squadron service I recall the Jubilees had a "double-three" beat as Terry Essery comments.
    I'm not saying for one minute that the current valve events setting has an effect on performance, but the loco does sound different to what I recall the Jubilees sounding like in the 50's and 60's.

andalfi1 likes this.
  6. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Retired
    Jubillee's sound different going away to when they are approaching I'm told it's because of the doppler effect.

Cheers Dave

7. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

I've had 2 trips behind Galatea - on both occasions she slogged uphill but made it and ran very freely going downhill to try & make up the time. In steam days this would be perfectly acceptable and would result in an arrival probably not far off schedule. Today, due to the railway being faster and at capacity, this strategy will probably cause delays and there is Galatea's legal upper limit to consider when going downhill.
    At the end of the day she probably is at the poorer end of a class 6 whereas Leander is at the better end - but has Leander taken 11 or 12 coaches over the northern fells unassisted? 45305 is probably at the top end of a class 5 - between the 2 locos there probably isn't much difference, however, we wouldn't be having this conversation about a Black 5.
    In summary, if you want to get over a bank quickly put a pacific on the front. In an emergency Galatea will get you there, just not as quickly until gravity kicks in and then she will give a pacific a run for it's money!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  8. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

The chaps that care for 45690 might not want 11 or 12 on the drawhook over Shap, using the same ethos as Tyesley.
    As you say though no 2 locos of the same class are ever identical.

9. YTJames

YTJames New Member

True, and all though I don't want to favour either as I genuinely do like Galatea, on a small incline or on the flat she runs very very well and she has come a long long way in two years, you have to take in this storming effort into account even if it is 9:

Thoughts?

10. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

The doppler effect just changes the wavelength, so it should affect each loco's sound the same.

g8bvl likes this.
  11. Scrat

Scrat New Member

railway worker
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The reason for the difference in smoke is really very simple, Britannia is burning Welsh coal that makes hardly any smoke, and Galatea is burning Yorkshire coal that is always very smokey!
    As for the standard of firing, it takes a lot more skill and know how to fire a 5X with that load than it ever will a Brit!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    staffordian likes this.
  12. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Retired
    The doppler effest changes the wavelength and the frequency,
    I had noticed this back in the 50's watching Bushbury Jubilees at Tile Hill, maybe others did it but I think it was a function of the Jubillee's distinctive beat, maybe the scots and patriots did it too but they were much less common through Tile Hill.

Cheers Dave

13. rule55

rule55 Member

I'd be interested in knowing how you know what sort of coal 70000 is burning?

14. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Whilst safety valves feathering is a sign of good boiler performance the absence of feathering tells you bugger all. The boiler could be almost on the line but not beyond. Also Galatea is using steam at a rate matched by consumption from the sound of the engine. Galateas fireman should be praised for producing the amount of steam he did.

staffordian likes this.
  15. RalphW

The Doppler effect is only the compressing or expanding of the frequency hence the change in pitch of a whistle as the loco goes past you, it will not alter the sound in any other way. An uneven beat will remain uneven.

Big Al likes this.
  16. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Doppler

17. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Clearly with welsh coal you can see the colour of the Dai........

18. RalphW

Precisely....

19. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Reference Galatea's six very evenly spaced beats, as heard on the video taken on the train--great acceleration by the way!--I was comparing it with the many runs I did "up the hill" from Chesterfield to Sheffield, or vice-versa, either way circa 5 miles at 1-100, and Jubilees had that distinctive beat, with an emphasis on the third beat.
    Maybe it is just that modern valve setting, in this case undertaken at Carnforth, is different to what Crewe used after an overhaul. Will be interesting to check when TYS outshop "Bahamas".

I know we can all wonder at the feat of Galatea taking 14 up the Lickey, as recorded by Terry Essery as fireman on that occasion, but freshly outshopped as she was, that was some 60 years ago.

20. 83B

83B Member

I don't think you mean the Lickey do you. A Beyer Garratt would struggle with 14 up the Lickey even with Big Bertha pushing behind. Did you mean 14 up Shap?