If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 61624, Jan 22, 2009.

1. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I see that 4588 is being readvertised as for sale by tender. It'll be interesting to see who bids for it - too small for the WSR, I would have thought (they have Pete Waterman's example and didn't want to keep 5542). SDR will obviously be interested, but who else might be (and have the cash)?

2. malc

malc Part of the furniture

I would have thought that a Small Prairie would be the ideal-sized loco for most heritage railways, although there may be some opposition from blinkered volunteers and staff on those outside the Western Region.

3. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Will they? They already have 5526, 1369 and 5786 in service along with 3803 (though that's up for sale), 3205 is due to return within the next 12 months and they also have recently aquired 6412.

Plus there is 1420 and 4920 stored awaiting attention.

The main question though I feel, is not who wants it but who has the time and finances to purchase it and then restore it? Most lines workshops are full as it is, so will they be wanting to take on yet another project?

4. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Not sure why a small prairie is too small for the WSR when as you say, they are currently running one. And they have 4561 aswell (though not running at the moment). 5553 seemed to cope well with a load of 6 when i visited last year, and is surely perfect for dining trains, engineman courses etc

I also thought the main reason why 5542 left was due to the thickness of the tyres at the time... then she found a new home at GWSR?

5. Collett Goods

Collett Goods New Member

From previous posts it is clear that the SDR's 3803 is no longer for sale. Interestingly 4588 was saved from Woodhams by the then Dart Valley Railway Association now the South Devon Railway Association and then the restoration was funded by Dart Valley Light Railway Company now the Dart Valley Railway plc.
    4588 or at least that part of it which "owned" by the DVRA was swapped for 1420 and two auto coaches.
    From the above therefore you will see that 4588 is close to the heart of some SDR people but as was pointed out the SDR has 4 in ticket with 3205, 1420 & 6412 due out over the next few years so they are not exactly short of engines.
    However it will be interesting to see what the level of tenders are in this difficult financial climate.

6. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes, it will be interesting to see from where (if anywhere) the bids will come. In better economic times, a complete if out of ticket Small Prairie would be snapped up.

One important point is that with no less than 14 examples having survived, most of the medium and larger former GWR heritage lines have already got one or two. Apart from the GLosWarks (Do they have 5542 on long-term loan? I thought it was only there for a couple of years then back to the WSR) I can't think of any obvious GWR line that may bid apart from the SDR for sentimental reasons.

Living in former SR territory, I certainly wouldn't complain if 4588 ended up somewhere in this neck of the woods, but it would be a surprise if it happened.

Wenlock likes this.
  7. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)

A good choice for the Gwili, perhaps ?

David

8. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
    I wonder how much it is likely to go for - certainly a lot less than what they were advertising a few months ago.

Wallingford won't be making a bid sadly, unless a sugar daddy/mummy comes along. Shame as we have built the loop at Cholsey (which we are officially opening on Easter Saturday with Ivor) with a headshunt just big enough to fit a Prarie and 3 coaches...
    We were all very impressed with 5542 when it visited for Christmas a few years ago.

9. Gwenllian2001

Gwenllian2001 Member

Retired
    They are very able locos and ocassionally stood in on the Cardiff Valleys interval services. Although they needed to be worked hard, they did cope with these trains. The Standard Class 3s, on the other hand, often struggled and were not missed when they were transferred away to work on less arduous duties.

Meic Batten

10. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    =D> =D> =D>

I second that, I'm off to do Euromillions tonight.....

11. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Max load for a 45xx on the WSR is 7 coaches, which is sufficient for much of the year.

David

12. Nottage_Halt

Nottage_Halt New Member

5542 is currently undergoing some winter repairs at Buckfastleigh. Our hire agreement with the Glos Warks Railway runs until the end of the 2009 season. We are in discussion with a number of lines as to what might happen thereafter, but it would be wrong at this stage to identify the lines concerned. Suffice it to say that 5542 Ltd is reasonably certain of sufficient hire arrangements.

The company that owns 5542 is owned, in the main, by WSR supporters who are very keen to see her run on her "home" line. Whether there is enough work available for a small prairie on the WSR (where the trains in summer can load to 10 bogies on some diagrams) to maintain an adequate income stream is a question we have to address - we are on target to have enough "in the kitty" to fund the necessary overhaul when the boiler ticket expires (2011). The tyre question has been addressed - new tyres were fitted last winter.

NDJ
    Financial Director
    Locomotive 5542 Ltd

13. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Surely there is no one correct answer to the "ideal motive power" question for any particular heritage line.
    Peak season should see heavier trains and larger engines, and the "shoulders" of the season see shorter trains and more modest motive power.

I called at Kidderminster briefly today, and the first steam service out of there was the Large Prairie on just four Mk1's, a shorter than usual train for the SVR, but maybe for a January Saturday it was pointless hanging seven on and using that much more coal, and also saving wear and tear on the moving bits?

I guess though locomotive owners quite justifiably need their engines in use throughout the season to generate steaming fees, and not stood idle, but transporting engines around the country on low-loaders to and from different lines must rack up the costs.

14. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    I remember 4566 on the Gwili many years ago (1994, I think), and she looked very much at home. This line is steadily becoming the flagship of preservation in South Wales, and may be a good home for 4588, although I am not in a position to offer any help towards making this happen; assuming that Gwili Railway want it!

John

15. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Of course 4566 has been a much more recent visitor too....

Personally I would love to see 4588 on the Gwili; it would go a treat with our GWR 4 wheelers

It's the same old story though....even if we had a wad of cash to spend there would be other things higher on the list to do than buy another loco (sadly). We missed the boat way back in the 70's/80's when we had a choice of buying a Manor or something smaller from Barry. The heart ruled the head and we ended up with Dinmore, which was ultimatley sold on. Maybe if we have gone for a 55xx then the outcome could have been different.

16. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

I really must be time time for South Wales/West Wales to bite the bullet here and do something re this - I can't think of a single working GWR (or any other big 4 company loco)
    which is based in S Wales - or come to think of it anywhere south of Llangollen. How many extra visitors would form their plans around a visit to west Wales if they thought that a 45xx or other attractive motive power would be in action there?

17. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    4566 was on the 1st, 5164 on the 2nd.

18. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    couldn't agree more, just think all those locos at Barry and not one ended up working in South Wales (save for the odd loan etc)

when you say bite the bullet, it will be a rather expensive bullet to chew for sure...goes back to what I have said above, IMHO every line in South Wales would have higher funding priorities at present, nice as it would be.

19. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    The Gwili would be a lot more attractive for a number of enthusiasts if they had an ex-BR loco. No offence to industrials, they do what is required and have helped many of the railways in their early years. Just most enthusiasts would rather have a former mainline loco, and a 45xx on Gwili would look right. 4566 proved that during her visit last year.

Shame though it'll probably miss out, as Matt points out purchasing a loco that needs a full overhaul will not viewed as high priority. Maybe one day the opportunity will rise again.

20. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

So if funding is a major stumbling block for the Gwili to acquire the likes of 4588 why not make an approach for 4115 (one of the Barry 10) ???? - it would be reasonably appropriate for the line and most of the movement would applaud loudly to see something done with this (far fetched replica enthusiasts excepted).

Initial outlay would probably be small but funds could then accumulate for the required rebuild AND the railway would then get onto more enthusiasts radar - nothing against industrials but they just don't cut it with many.