If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

46100, now 45690, Coast to Coast, now July 30th.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by neildimmer, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Those are great images and thanks for sharing. On the back of this can I add a quick comment about the day in relation to the fact that Leander came off at Milford and went straight home?

Were the train to have been steam hauled to Scarborough and back then forget for the moment the logistics of the loco crews needed over that period of time. It is worth just thinking about the loco itself and support crew.

It may have escaped everyone's notice that Leander left Carnforth at around 0130 on Saturday in order to get to Lime Street for the start. Had it returned to Lime Street (even assuming it kept the same path as the diesel hauled return) then it would have been at least 0230/0300 before it got back to Carnforth. That's well over 24 hours. As it was, the engine, crew (and owner) got back by 2200 on the same day. That's still a massively long day but I suspect those hours grabbed back were appreciated by all.

The Coast to Coast is a good trip. The route taken yesterday was a very interesting one and we had four hours in Scarborough as well. But I heard it said that as originally proposed, and with the various constraints necessary in order to make it work, it was arguably too much and I agree with that. I wonder whether, with perhaps the odd noticeable exception for 'special' occasions, these marathon trips will become less likely in future. May we see much more of the pattern of diesel to and from the start of steam plus steam to and from the destination?

Perhaps a separate thread is needed if people want to discuss that further.

2. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Thanks for highlighting the total hours involved Alan, there can be no argument with what you have said, and whilst the WCR crews change regularly, the hours of the volunteer staff, loco and train, must be taken into account and although breaks and cat naps are taken, it's still a long day.

3. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

Leander nearing journeys end, at Willerby nr Scarborough.

[​IMG]

4. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

DSC_12989.jpg 30/07/2016 - LMS Jubilee - 45690 "Leander" rushing home through Huncoat station at 20:30 on 5Z74 after coming off the returning Coast to Coast Express at Milford. View attachment 21960

GOEdwards, RalphW and 46223 like this.
  5. 46223

46223 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Thanks Al. I've sent a PM.

6. Rich and Louise

Rich and Louise Member

Don't forget also the amount of time Leander lost the other week in the Chinley area/Hope Valley when unassisted. Certainly delayed at least one service train.

7. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

I've been reflecting on this since you posted it. I have to agree with the sentiments. BUT where I start to struggle is with the simple fact that these are commercial tours organised by tour operators to turn a profit utilising a variety of suppliers to provide the loco, stock, rail access etc. Customers buy tickets for a defined product. I feel for the volunteers in these cases as you have outlined the length of the day for this tour. But the crew etc are relieved at appropriate times. Are the volunteer support crew being exploited for profit? I know they love what they do, but volunteers need to remain cognisant that someone is making profit from their kindly and passionately volunteered labour.

On assistance, well maybe we could have some good old fashioned honest and transparent advertising. "The train will be led by a Steam Loco (Name number etc0 but will be assisted when needed by a diesel attached to the coaches." More cynically, "We will have a diesel pushing the train because we have added too many coaches for the power of the loco and we want to max out on profit."

With Coast to Coast you know its part diesel and part steam, but the assistance to steam is not clear.

26D_M likes this.
  8. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Nothing wrong with a Class 5XP and 10 if the route is amenable. It all goes wrong when Network Rail gives you a path up to Cowburn that you know you will drop time on. In the light of the experience on the East Yorkshireman (25/6) as mentioned by @Rich and Louise, it puts WCRC between a rock and a hard place.

9. Fulwood Flyer

Fulwood Flyer New Member

KENLIS.jpg 45690 Almost home

Mick45305, MikeParkin65 and black5 like this.
  10. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Bit of a paradox to say that a 5X is good for 10 but not for the known route and timings? With the load dictated by economics an assisting loco is inevitable for a 5, given the pathing constraints. The point being the train was planned with a 7 in mind and advertised which would have been OK solo. Horses for courses but often the right steed is on box rest.

11. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    The main problem on the day was that we were a few minutes late at Hazel Grove, which probably determined what subsequently happened in the Hope Valley due to tight timings.

12. TheLairdofNetherMoor

TheLairdofNetherMoor New Member

Laird
    Do you have any figures for just how much profit the charter companies make? I'd be surprised if it's a particularly lucrative business, given how many have gone under over the years. My expectation would be that, when things are going well, they turn enough of a profit to pay the staff and that's about it, but perhaps I'm way off the mark with that thought? I'm not sure they are the cynical profit hungry organisations you are suggesting, but merely trying to keep their head above water.

I'm not even sure if WCRC will make a substantial profit out of their charter business when all factors are considered? I suspect a healthy proportion of their income has come in from other activities such as the Royal Scotsman, Harry Potter contracts, crewing tampers and other TOC/FOC support, although I suspect The Jacobite brings in a reasonable return.

When WCRC run a tour with one of their in-house locos, are the support crew volunteers, or are they paid staff based at Carnforth? Presumably, they are Carnforth staff, in some form or other, and are paid directly as opposed to via. a hire fee which would be the case for externally hired locos who are expected to provide their own support crew. Therefore, you could suggest that a proportion of the hire fee could/should be used to pay the support crew, as opposed to going towards the locos upkeep, but my suspicion is that the crew would rather waive that and see it go towards the upkeep and next overhaul. That should be their choice, or the choice of the loco owning group. Of course, if the loco owning group are paid the hire fee which includes the provision of a support crew, then presumably it is up to them to ensure that the crew work a safe number of hours and comply by whatever rules and regulations apply and WCRC or DBC presumably audit that process.

13. TheLairdofNetherMoor

TheLairdofNetherMoor New Member

Laird
    Indeed. It's difficult enough to path freights in a gap between the passenger workings on the Chinley East to Dore section, let alone trying to path something slower than normal all the way from Hazel Grove. It's not uncommon for a freight that's a few minutes late off Peak Forest to have to wait the full hour at Chinley East for another go. It's clear that the timings were fairly optimistic, particularly for the Jubilee, and even with assistance the train didn't really make up any time on the schedule through the valley. I'm pretty sure that if there hadn't been assistance, the following stopper would've been significantly delayed.