If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

48518: Remains of....

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 46118, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Edward

Edward Member

Please expalin...

Asbestos?

2. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think the red tape reference is regarding the owners. There wouldn't be asbestos on the loco anymore.

Keith

3. Brunt

Brunt New Member

Asbestos would not have been a major problem.

The red tape came from the Vale of Glamorgan Council owning this locomotive and serveral others and they were never willing to let anyone purchase the locomotives if they were going to be restored and run outside of Wales.

4. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    AIUI because public money was used to purchase the Barry ten, which again AIUI were the no hope cases no-one else thought were worth saving and which had been robbed of all sorts of bits, there was a a good bit of form filling to do. This would be because in order for public money to be used some sort of justification had to be made, and for them to be passed on the terms of that had to be met.
    There was of course no extra red tape over any other required to extract the locomotive in the twenty plus years it spent at Barry: it was just that no-one organised enough wanted it. A cynic would suggest that the fuss is just because its being scrapped to provide parts for a replica of something from *that* company: otherwise few would care. I suggest the smart money is that a good few more unrestored Barry wrecks will be scrapped (or jusr rot away) in the next twenty years: clearly there are far more hulks than there will ever be volunteers to work on them, money to pay for the materials or work for them to do...

5. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

To be honest, I thought it was of more interest as an example of the things that happened in ww2 rather than it being owned by the LNER - which I don't think it was, btw, just built by them for the LMS. I'd rather have seen it saved - there aren't enough freight engines, too many glamour jobs anyway. But whatever, 48518 is gone for good, please let us stop pretending otherwise.

Of course there's a little resentment among us LNER enthusiasts that so few of our locos survived, especially the 'workhorse' types, but its just an accident because Barry was in South Wales - if Barry hadn't happened the rest of you would all be upset by all our saved A4's :)

6. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    I presume you mean explain...

I don't know the ins and outs of it, as most of what went on was before I entered the presrvation movement (I am only 21!)

Basically Glamorgan Council bought 10 engines to open a museum IIRC. However their plans fell through and so they ended up in storage.
    Preservation Groups tried to purchase them, but they couldn't as by the time they came round to make offers the Council Members had changed and so they were dealing with different people.
    Originally it was said they could only be restored if they were to stay in Wales, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore, or at least it is not enforced.
    To get them out requires an awful lot of paperwork filling in for each loco. The 2x Small Prairies, the Hall and 8F have all been released, and there are plans to try and get them all accessabl,e but it will take a lot of time and a lot of patience.

7. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

Also as part of the deal of getting one of the 'Barry 10' locos, it would have to return to the Barry Island Railway for so many running days per year.

Not exactly sure what will happen now that Barry Railway has closed....

8. Allan Thomson

Allan Thomson New Member

I'm curious, let's just say if the money and finance were there, what would it take to get that loco out? I notice the station is actually not that far away from a fairly substantial river (so I guess it could be shipped out, getting it to the river would be the complex part).

I presume it's the property of the Iraqi Government? Or not?

Would the British Army be able to extract it?

Anyone ever seen it close up?

9. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

why would the british army want to go back to Iraq?

10. Allan Thomson

Allan Thomson New Member

Give it fifty years..... ;)

11. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    Reminds me of the cartoon a few years ago.
    There are 710 reasons for going back to Iraq, ahh, turn that round there is one reason for going... OIL

12. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

whats the point, there was a mechanically complete one up for sale in Barry until a few weeks back, no one wanted it, so it went back to the Middle East... Why bother with this one ?.. Let the Iraqis have it.. It has more history there than here.

13. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

I'm not sure what the relevance of the Iraqi 8F is to 48518, but as ADB mentions above, if anyone wanted to restore an 8F then they had a chance to do so with the ex-Turkish one, now re-exported to Israel.
    There was some chatter a while ago about a further trip to Turkey by interested parties looking for 8F spares, but I am not sure how credible that was. 48518 is as far as I am aware, little more than a set of frames and maybe coupled wheels, so would need a boiler /firebox unit for a start.

I suspect in reality 48518 is now effectively lost to preservation.

14. simon

well we didn't get any oil as a result of our last mad adventure so we are unlikely to next time around.

15. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Next time is Iran..

then they can run a pipe line from Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Syria to the med.. Without passing through Russia or giving it to the Chinese.

16. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Just wait till we up north here start producing shale gas, passports will definitely be needed to get into the Peoples Democratic Republic of Lankycheshire.

17. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Won't need passports..
    its a well known fact that when oil shoes up, the locals go native and fight each other.
    i'll just ride with the yanks in a big tank down Deansgate, watching scrotes do a raid on Debrnhams.

18. simon

we are drifting well off topic but if shale oil develops as some predict we will see and end of us dependence on overseas oil. the ramifications in terms of trade; jobs and us interests in overseas affairs could be enormous.

19. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Just check your UK buildings insurance covers man-made earthquake damage....

20. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Assuming its managed properly.