If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 46118, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Interesting reading gwr4090. Thanks for posting.

2. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Right done a bit more research from the superb Power of the 8Fs. The 8F Society have all 666 record cards for the BR 8Fs which show 48309 and 707 were fitted with steam heat (SH) at Crewe in June 1955 to work the Royal Train from Aberystwyth to Milford Haven on 8th August. The stand-by 330 was not fitted.

There was an earlier Royal train visit on the 26 Oct 1952 from Llandovery to Milford H. with 48309 and 707 and it is assumed Paxton Street fitted the SH for this job.

As usual with these things there is a bit of contradiction as in 'Working With LMS' steam written by the former shed master at Paxton Street (H C Burgess) it is stated that three went to Crewe for fitting SH for the Royal duty.

On the official records only 48309 was fitted with SH throughout the remainder of its' career but H C Burgess states that he had three additional engines (ie the Royal engines) fitted with steam heat for working over the Central Wales. Perhaps they just put the pipes back on once they returned from Crewe!

The class were used as required from the 1950s by Longsight on Manchester to Buxtons and then in the 1960s appeared to have worked some reliefs and ADEXs. Perhaps the balanced versions were preferred?

Wish I hadn't started this debate but even as mixed traffic engines the LMS wouldn't have painted them red!

3. 48624

48624 New Member

There was never any suggestion that 8fs would ever have been painted red.
    The lesson to be learned from the red 8f is don't tell people that have spent a considerable amount of time and money on a project what they can or cannot do with it, as they may well just do as they please.
    It will eventually be returned to black,this however may be delayed until some people get down off of their high horses.

4. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

''There was never any suggestion that 8fs would ever have been painted red''

Yes there was!

For the record of course I respect owners/restorers choice to paint engines in any colour they like. My preference would be for authenticity and the last livery a loco carried in service is generally the most authentic but a bit of variety is always good!

5. 48624

48624 New Member

I do apoligise,I meant by us to justify the livery of 48624.Our justification was solely mischief.

6. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Presumably all these "passenger" engines were of the 8F* variety with better balancing for higher speed operation?

7. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

48624 did indeed have the additional balancing with the * 'star' on the cabside.

Dave

8. Gwenllian2001

Gwenllian2001 Member

Retired
    Thank you; you have reinforced the point that I was making. I didn't suggest that such a move was likely and I imagine there was much shaking of heads when all those pre-grouping liveries disappeared but then, as now, it came down to the what the owner decided.

Meic

9. Superheater

Superheater New Member

Toolmaker/Precision Engineer and Jack of all Trade
    Ignoring all concerns over colour, as "it's only paint" . I'm hoping 2010 will bring a (2nd) fresh start for our much loved loco, as 2009 seemed such a letdown, after all the excitement of finally getting a 28 year labour of love/madness working, it seemed a tragedy to see her stood cold in the shed week after week, with just a handful of us finding bits of stuff to do (anyone for a worlds cleanest firebox competition??)

I'm sure that our much missed friend and hero Reg Cartwright would have wanted to see this situation remedied ASAP

Simon H.

10. Sheff

Yes I do hope so too - though I think you'll need a transporter if you're going to make a big improvement over 2009?

Iain

11. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes. I bet there are quite a few lines that could with a an 8F at the moment.

12. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

Well if this thread is to be believed, 48624 is likely to find gainful employment in 2010. And of course, once the Matlock connection is made, the road transporter will become redundant.
    http://railways.national-preservati...-Peak-Rail-update-of-whats-occuring!?p=333073

13. Sheff

I wasn't aware the loco was to mail line standards?

14. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

That's why it's painted post office red.

15. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

It can't steam on the main line, but it can be towed to other preserved lines, shirley? Or is road always the cheaper option?

16. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    No,it would still need to meet all the mechanical requirements for main line running, and unless in light steam, which wouldn't be allowed, would have to have its connecting rods removed to avoid lubrication problems in the cylinders (theoretical ones at least).

And don't call me Shirley!

17. Sheff

V. G. (and I saw and thought I'd corrected that typo too!)

18. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

The Matlock 'Branch' has a weight restriction on it anyway that prevents anything much heavier than a unit using it (or it did untl recently?)

19. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Our two Bullieds and the M7 were pulled in light steam over the mainline to Eastleigh and back for the event their last year. And yes I know both Manston and Eddystone strustained hot boxes in the event but only on carrying or tender wheels. Stupiedly the over 100 year old M7 had no problom whats so ever when compared to the 'express' engines!!!

20. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Quite a few loco's will have TOPS numbers for use on Network Rail but are without valid Mainline tickets, these are mainly for things like movements into/out of Didcot and other little quirks that require movement over NR metals, suspect this applied to the Swanage trio.

Unless the state of play has changed then 9600 is the only loco able to make use of a Mainline connection at Matlock.