If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

5542 passes steam test

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Steve Huddy, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Steve Huddy

Steve Huddy Member

Accountant
    55423 has passed her annual steam test, there's photos of this and the static test on http://www.5542.co.uk/news.html

2. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Interesting the use of an engineering polymer for bearings... If that stands up long term it could save a deal of trouble.

3. Premier.Prairie

Premier.Prairie New Member

Jim, Its looking good so far. Apart from one problem we had with one of the bearings, which was fully investigated and the specific cause identified and rectified, we have had 5000 miles of fault free running on 5 out of 6 side rod bearings and 3000 miles since a problem on the sixth. The ease of replacement is remarkable reducing down time from about a week at best, to less than a day, so big savings on labour and time. We are more than happy to talk through our experiences with anyone seriously interested in trying this type of bearing on loco or rolling stock.

John (not the 'engineer')

4. osprey

osprey Resident of Nat Pres

semi-retired, currently doing R&D for my patents
    I have long thought that there is use for polymer applications in the steam world......really pleased to see someone has stuck their neck out.....and had success....well done!

5. agalpin

agalpin Member

Teflon/PTFE has been used in many locos already for gland packings but this is a welcome application. Very well done indeed!

6. osprey

osprey Resident of Nat Pres

semi-retired, currently doing R&D for my patents
    I've wondered about packings, nice to see people using these materials.......anyone tried different materials for piston rings?

7. dhic001

dhic001 Member

Is the vesconite lubricated at all on 5542, or are the corks purely to fill the holes which already exist? Would certainly be very useful if it didn't need any oiling.
    Daniel

8. Premier.Prairie

Daniel, We are still oiling because its a bit of a 'mind set' thing, and obviously we still need the rest of the loco oiled, but as the 'environmental' pressure rises hopefully we can gradually reduce the amount of oil that finds it way onto the track and produces the associated polution.

John

9. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I would have thought that you would still need to lubricate the bearing. I've past experience in so-called self lubricating bushes which are fine in theory but lubrication also prevents corrosion. If you don't lubricate your steel crankpins, they will corrode and that will present a bigger problem than wear.

10. dhic001

dhic001 Member

Thanks for that John. I wasn't worried about the environmental impact, more whether lubrication was neccesary with this material or not. If you think oil on the track is an issue, try dealing with a marine plant where oil end up in the bilge water!
    Daniel

11. Premier.Prairie

We are carefully monitoring the situation as much as possible and considering all options, but because we are not in 'day to day' contact with the loco (We're in Devon/Somerset, the loco is on the GWSR) we are erring on the side of caution at this stage and leaving the general operational instructions unchanged to avoid any misunderstandings. The environmental side is something that everyone is going to come under pressure to consider as time goes on and whilst there may be problems with marine plant I would presume that that must also be something foremost in the minds of those involved. I understand soluable oils are available but are excessively expensive, although I hasten to add I have no formal knowledge in that area . I'm just the Chairman , and as everyone knows, chairmen know nothing about anything! :(

Thanks for everyones interest in the subject.

John