If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

5668 to follow 4253 to KESR

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Austerity, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Unlikely

Unlikely New Member

Definitely wasn't advocating DEMUs to replace the steam, should've worded that better. Diesel-unit-wise, the EE throb of a DEMU is more appealing to me than the bus-esque acoustics of a DMU. I'll go out of my way to attend a DEMU running day on a preserved line, whereas I would be fairly ambivalent about a DMU. For me personally, the mid-summer timetable in 1990-whatever where weekdays featured something like a steam-hauled Mk1 set, the Hastings unit and the Victorian train with a small tank were absolutely perfect for heritage traction variety.

Back to the topic, what's the impact on the use of the Terrier-sized engines going to be when the full length of the line is open? Know it's a few years off yet but if loco policy is moving towards bigger engines like the new GWR duo, I was wondering if the Terrier/P/Charwelton crowd will be more restricted to special events or will just run shorter trips?

2. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

As an aside, I had a look for the first time at the 4253 website, and very good it is. It does not yet have coverage of the acquisition of 5668, but that apart, there is considerable information, mainly in captioned photographs, showing the month by month progress on 4253.

Well done, an excellent website.

3. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

post deleated

4. martin butler

post deleated

5. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Then there are those that air the dirty laundry in public, rather than leaving the powers that be to run things. Each to their own, I guess.....

6. Austerity

Austerity Member

Loco Fitter
    I concur Fireline

7. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    To me the KESR has always been about Terriers and small industrials. It will be a sad day if they should ever be ousted from traffic.

8. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Regarding things like Hastings Units etc, I think they would be more accepted now, years ago them and similar looking EMU's were flying about all over the South East, so the reluctance to travel on a train that resembled an everyday one was understandable, however since then, the time of the D/EMU "Slammers" has passed, it must be about a decade now since the VEP's, CIG's etc were withdrawn, so perhaps they can be considered part of history remembered more fondly now ?, especially if painted green alongside BR era steam.

That said if were talking Diesel on the KESR, then the Railcar would look good among it's Swindon stablemates.

9. Seagull

Seagull Member

I think there's more than enough enthusiasm for the Terriers and vintage stock. Both the Terriers and the P class are very deep rooted in the pre preservation history of the line, re-creating typical K&ESR trains is important to us. This February half term week will see a Terrier running with a two car set, very much in the Hayling Island/K&ESR style, many people enjoy seeing and riding on the smaller trains.

6619 and 4253 are not intended to replace any of the existing fleet of locos. With the extension to Robertsbridge looming, we know that we will need more locos to operate the service. It is likely that many of the days that are currently a two train service will become three train days. I very much doubt that any locos will be leaving the line in the near future.

10. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Glad to hear it. Long may the small engines continue to find a place on the KESR. A Terrier on two sounds like my cup of tea.

11. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

The P class were used pre-preservation?

12. Seagull

Seagull Member

P Class 1556, currently preserved on the K&ESR, was originally hired to the K&ESR by the Southern Railway in the 1930s to cover a motive power shortage. It was later purchased by Hodsons Mill at Robertsbridge to work the short branch from the main line station to the mill. While owned by Hodsons mill it was painted green and carried the name Pride of Sussex.

13. Seagull

Seagull Member

Martin, that is just your opinion. I don't think anyone at Board or management level is putting obstacles in the way of either Robertsbridge or larger locos. The Board and management have a responsibilty to ensure that things are done in such a way that the future of the K&ESR is protected. Sometimes this might mean a cautious approach to extensions or new locos arriving. In the case of 4253 the Board were keen to ensure that it was a viable project, not just a pile of scrap that would be an eyesore on the lineside. Thankfully everyone involved has worked together to accomodate the project and good progress is being made with it's restoration. Likewise with Robertsbridge, people are right to question and raise issues, it's a democracy! After much discussion, the Robertsbridge extension has been agreed at Board and management levels and is supported by everyone involved.

14. Unlikely

Unlikely New Member

Encouraging posts all round above. If I wasn't working in Spain in half-term week, I'd definitely take a lieu day to come down for the Terrier.

On the subject of the public being more open to things like DEMUs these days, I totally agree. During my travels to preserved lines last year I was really pleased to see how receptive tourist passengers seemed to be to the mix of steam and diesel on lines like the Epping Ongar and Mid-Norfolk (where on my visit it was the 73+CIG on one diagram and 9466 on the other). Now the main line is all Sprinters and the like, a Mk1 coach with whatever on the front seems to trigger nostalgia in people, certainly from my own observations anyway. I totally agree that steam will always be the main draw, but it's good to have a mix as diesel preservationists care just as deeply about the machines they volunteer their time for.

And on the GWR topic, I'll be very, very pleased to see the railcar in action alongside the Pannier and Prairies in future years. My Dad volunteered on the KESR briefly in the late 60s/early 70s and remembers the railcar's arrival so has fond memories of that and the Ford diesel as well as the original batch of steam engines.

15. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Mickey taking apart, the KESR woulden't be the same without Terriers, just because you need larger engines for the bread and butter work doesn't mean the Terriers are useless for lighter or out of season workings, or if 2 full line services are operating, a 3rd shorter route working could be done, I'm sure they'll find a use somehow, The Isle of Wight is a good example with the Austerities and Ivatt's, but W8, 11 & 24 haven't been forgotten, far from it.

16. Martin Perry

Thanks, I had heard of the Robertsbridge connection but didn't realise that it had worked on the KESR proper.

17. Martin Perry

They are getting Praries as well???? Is there anything Swindonian that the KESR will not buy??!! :D

18. martin butler

I have removed my posts from this forum and in future will be keeping my thoughts to myself, i had no wish to harm the Kesr , and appologise if what i have said caused offence, i will refrain from adding any future posts

19. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I thought that Pride of Sussex was painted blue?

20. Seagull

Seagull Member