If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

567 Victorian 4-4-0 New Build

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Flying Phil, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Legrandanglais

Legrandanglais New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    withdrawn

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  2. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Rather surprised to read in the latest Newsletter that the workshops at Ruddington are still not in operation with the Covid shutdown. That was backed up by an e-mail received from the 125 Group yesterday evening who are obviously in a similar situation regarding site access/working.
    The bus group seem to be the only ones who have done significant work at there in the last couple of months......

3. Legrandanglais

The core of the 567 workshop team are of a certain age - so are nervous of catching the virus.
    There are things happening with 3 external contractors - I don't get the newsletter in spit of generating designs and layouts plus buying hard to find parts, so I don't know what has been revealed to the other Supporters.

4. Johann Marsbar

Given the wording of the 125 Group e-mail, I got the impression that their activities were somewhat restricted as well, not just the 567 team.
    I'm surprised you don't get the Newsletter, as I assume the drawing of the tender tank is your work! (though you will have seen it before....). The mystery wooden pattern photos shown on the previous page here were identified as well.

5. Legrandanglais

Yes, the activities at Ruddington are severely restricted, and full risk assessment by the Groups concerned is required. Groups like 'Cutting Edge' seem to be able to work as a discrete group outside of the Ruddington Site.
    I don't subscribe £5.67 a month (but I do purchase items irregularly but to an equivalent or higher amount) - so I am not classed as a 'Supporter' and I am therefore not allowed to attend the AGM meeting = POLITICS!!!!
    Those wheel patterns are brilliant - all produced on a massive CNC woodworking machine by General Patterns Ltd at a reasonable price. I must say that my design for the wheels actually looks better in the solid - pity that the Bluebell Railway would not allow the Brighton Atlantic Group to loan us their bogie wheel pattern = POLITICS again.
    I attach a pic of the pattern to inform others about the progress and to show we are making moving FORWARD (GCR Crest Motto)
    Dependent on when the Supporters Meeting is held there should be a significant (and heavy) chunk(s) of metal to see - it depends on the site rules in place at the time.....

Attached Files:

J Rob't Harrison and jnc like this.
  6. Legrandanglais

Again, Yes Johann, that Tank Drawing is all my own work - It is a hybrid (No nothing to do with batteries) with the design being based on the MS&L 3000 Gallon Tank, but adapted to fit on the Ex ROD 'Sludge Carrier' frames. Chris Read did produce a drawing, but sadly the drawing vanished after his death - hence me being tasked with the job.
    The CAD drawing has 9 sheets and has taken 24 days (to date) to create!!! Tender Appeal.jpg

240P15 and J Rob't Harrison like this.
  7. Johann Marsbar

Don't think the caption underneath the tender drawing is really required though now.........;)

8. Legrandanglais

Johann, Please explain your comment....? Firstly, this is not the actual build drawing - things have moved on more in finalising other parts of the rework that make changes to the actual tank drawing. There is more cash required to overhaul the Ex ROD Frames, wheels and axles, not to mention all the Vacuum, Steam Heat and Water Pipework. Initial Sponsorship is intended to fund the tank fabrication.... but I am not up to date with the status of this - I just do the designs and drawings on the tender part of the project.

9. Johann Marsbar

I've just sent you a message..........

10. Legrandanglais

Johann, thank you for the explanation regarding the appeal... This is a large chunk of the project, any more than the 'Tank Full' figure will go a long way to ensuring the Tender is re-built to a high standard. With further engineering design having been done over the last 4 months the Tender Tank detail drawing is ready for build - just needs a good team of Volunteers to build it (All subject to Risk assessment and time) - Its big enough for Social Distancing rules to be met!!!

11. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

It is good to see on here that progress is being maintained on this project - in spite of the difficulties re C-19.......When will the call go out to extricate the tender from its current resting place?

12. Johann Marsbar

If there are still significant restrictions on what can/cannot be done at Ruddington, then nothing will be happening for a while yet. I was originally informed that the intention was to move the tender into the main site from its current location "out in the wilderness" so it could be dismantled there. Given the constant quest for lebensraum by the various groups based there, I do not know whether this is still the case!
    No doubt we will be informed accordingly when the plan of action has been drawn up....

13. Legrandanglais

Yes the ever increasing problem of lack of working space is upsetting to some groups - hence looking at the work on dismantling the tender in the field. But at present the site seems to be restricted in so many ways, but it is good to see the Cafe re-opened to feed the volunteers.
    I have not heard from Mike Fairburn about the way forward and work schedule, I know that as a Director, he was very much tied up with the ORR Audit and the local council restricting access and the ongoing politics of the EMRT and GCRN
    I agree it would be nice for 567 to have its own workshop, but its is not only a case of diverting money, but where to put it - hence my off the cuff remark about putting it at the end of the Gotham Branch! Maybe we could do what the Clan Project has done with Seal, using their building/facilities and using their workforce - but that would propel 567 into the £ million build cost..... It seems to be damned if we do, damned if we don't.... Maybe a local company with too much space can wave a magic wand in the 567 Group's direction?

14. Legrandanglais

A bit more on Buffer Beam Steam Heating Cock - in order to look more 'Period' this is a pic of what we are looking for - as used on Tornado (cos' they could not find an LNER one).
    If one is lurking in your shed, garage or attic (preferably 2 off) please advise....!

Attached Files:

15. Bikermike

Bikermike Well-Known Member

did they buy second-hand, or were they new? Depending on cost, presumably they will need to obtain a pair for the P2 - can you get a joint order?

16. Legrandanglais

Those were 2nd hand from Telford Steam railway apparently. For the P2 I think they want authentic LNER types. If they make 4 i suppose We would be first in line with hands outstretched 9with a small bag of cash/)

17. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

In the latest "Main Line" it is reported that the bogie wheel patterns went to the foundry in July so hopefully by now the wheels will have been cast. The tyres have also been ordered. A "cut list" of major parts for the new tender tank has been created so this can progress briskly. As stated before, the tank is based on a generic MS&LR 3,000 gall design and looks really elegant with its curved top platework.

18. Legrandanglais

Bogie wheel castings will be shipped from Trefoil Foundry next week (see attaching pic). Tyres are now in with with Railway Wheelsets and Brakes. Both will be shipped for assemby with Axle.
    However the tank is currently under review in order to reduce the cost - a traditional riveted design would cost some £30k more than a welded one - and many fabricators won't touch one with riveting = preference to using 'electric glue'. We are aiming to use a welded design with dummy rivets, and simplifying the construction to reduce material content. It is very important to keep the external appearance per the MS&LR design - however away from the eyes of the 'Rivet Counters' (and they are welcome to count the dummy heads) there will be 'modernisation. Any detractors will be invited to review the internal construction, and we will have an opportunity to carry out a witnessed leak test!

Attached Files:

19. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

That is roughly along the lines of the variations between original and new on "Beachy Head's" tender. That design is double-skinned, which is being retained, but the inside tank which originally would have been fairly rough riveting is being welded for the new build. Externally there will be no visible difference.

One other variation included - an access manhole has been incorporated on the underside of the tank made to fit the more generous girth of 21st century adults! You would have needed to be racing snake to get into the original via the water filler.

Tom

20. Legrandanglais

Tom, I have incorporated a 'Person hole' (cannot be gender specific these days!) in the bottom of the tank well to give access to the trash strainers. In order to meet the requirements - it should be able to accommodate a Python after it has swallowed a small donkey!