If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

6000 King George V :- Centenary Express

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by neildimmer, Nov 16, 2013.

1. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

Afternoon all

I have added a collection of photos showing 6000 King George V hauling The Centenary Express which was a train of catering vehicles from the NRM and Travellers-Fare which toured the country between 15 – 29 Sept

6000 King George V seen here approaching Shrewsbury

http://railway-photography.smugmug.com/Railtours-Year-by-Year/19711980/1979/Travellers-Fare-The-Centenary/i-3MVf7j4

at Shrewsbury Station

http://railway-photography.smugmug.com/Railtours-Year-by-Year/19711980/1979/Travellers-Fare-The-Centenary/i-r2VbVCj

and at an unknown location anyhelp anybody?

http://railway-photography.smugmug.com/Railtours-Year-by-Year/19711980/1979/Travellers-Fare-The-Centenary/i-QFV8C9L

Neil

2. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    x

3. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Are you looking for an exact date or an era? Do you have any ideas at all? Clothing on bridge, street lighting, buildings, all looks quite early 70s to me...

4. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

The Centenary Express was a two week exhibition tour of the country organised by Travellers Fare - remember them - to celebrate the centenary of on train catering in September 1979. Composed of old and new(ish) catering carriages mostly from the NRM. It was steam hauled by 6000 King George V on 15th Sept. (Hereford - Shrewsbury and ret.) and 4771 Green Arrow on 29th Sept. (York -Leeds - Harrogate - York) It visited London, Cardiff, Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester, Edinburgh, Newcastle and finally York between 14th and 28th September.

Peter James

5. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

Thanks Peter

That is just what I needed, it's not on Sixbells site, that's what had me ask the question

Neil

6. louis.pole

louis.pole New Member

To use a wartime phrase "Somewhere in England"
    I though the Centenary bit referred to the age of the Travellers Fare sandwiches served.

7. Britfoamer

Britfoamer Well-Known Member

Chemist (semi-retired)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The third photo's location is just a few chains south of Sutton Bridge Junction, just south of Shrewsbury on the Hereford line. The junction is where the Aberystwyth line branches off and the old engine sheds were. You can see the few PW wagons often held in the sidings here.

8. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

We visited it when it was parked at Curzon Street, Birmingham. Somewhere I hope I still have the souvenir booklet

9. Midland Red

Midland Red New Member

Yes, I agree it is this location - the footbridge is still there and frequently used nowadays for steam charter photos. I photographed 6000 that day, southbound near the site of Dorrington station.