If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

60010 Dominion of Canadas Neglect

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by ngaugekid, Mar 6, 2009.

1. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Re: 60010 Domion of Canadas Neglect

Well, perhaps 'he' should make 'his' intentions public, so that those who are 'blundering' can cease!

2. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Look around the heritage railways in the UK and you'll find qute a few locos in similarly "neglected" condition, many of them unique. Maybe we should be looking to restore some of these rather than berating Johnny Foreigner for not looking after one of "our" locos, especially when, as has been said, there are already three in operational condition and the another, the most famous of them all, which is assured of being well cared for as a statis exhibit.

3. OldChap

OldChap Member

*** Off 60010 topic ****

I remember seeing 2850 during my time in the frozen north about 20 years ago, what a fine locomotive... I was lucky enought to be given a tour of sister Hudson #2839 a year or two ago preserved at a car museum in Los Angeles. Here the link if anyones interested.

http://nethercuttcollection.org/EndPage.aspx?page=train

4. Western Bulleid

Western Bulleid Part of the furniture

Journalist

Well we don't know what stage they're at. Maybe, if anything is happening, they're not allowed to say anything. We don't know, so shouldn't have a go at whoever it is. If the plan fell through may look a bit silly after publicly announcing it too.

5. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member

The pictures in SR are indeed disheartening (and the cover headline is on the sensationalist side), but the original poster (and most who've chipped in since) have neglected to mention the news story that's with the pictures - SR no. 360, p. 30. Headline, "Neglected A4 to receive TLC", and the story is about the museum and the group that worked on the Terrier getting together to do a cosmetic restoration on the A4, perhaps next year.

6. athelney

athelney Member

Retired warranty administrator
    Yes I am an active volunteer

You don't agree then...[/quote:2pdgx2ar]
    im easy.. \:D/ ..better to let the Canadians pay for it and appeal for a project this side of the Atlantic....how about a County Donegal 2-6-4t? (oops veering badly off topic now)[/quote:2pdgx2ar]

My understanding is that there was a movement afoot from the group that funded Waddon's repaint a number of years ago to do the same for the Dominion, but clearly that hasn't happened.

I have not been to the Canadian Railway Museum in Montreal since the mid 1990's, before their fancy new exhibition building was constructed in the past few years. As i understand it, the Dominion is inside, but probably in need of some care, but there are also a lot of significant Canadian Locomotives in the collection which also need that TLC. Sadly, for many years a large portion of the collection resided outside, which, if anyone knows anything about Canadian Winters is a great recipe for rust and deterioration.

I am hoping to get to Montreal this summer, part of the problem is that the CRM isn't really public transit accessible being in the well south suburbs of Montreal, and i hate driving to Montreal, there is far too much good beer to be had there to make that a good idea.[/quote:2pdgx2ar]

Your correct 60010 is inside - at the back of a stock shed together with quite a few other Canadian loco's , Waddon is in there as well , at the front just inside and does look great after it's repaint .The shed is open for tours , just no one to guide you around & explain things if that's a need .The main hall is full of great exhibits- 2850 included together with other steam & diesel loco's . I tried for entrance into the cab of 2850 but the ' powers ' would not relent even though I'm part of the 2860 group - wanted to compare cab layouts -2850 is a coal burner - stoker fitted.
    Yes Delson is a way out of town - we drove from Ottawa to get there -- worth a trip if you can -would be nice to have some live steam -- we can hope .

7. athelney

athelney Member

Retired warranty administrator

Would also like to see 2839 in steam as well , they have done a good job of looking after her . She shouldnt' have the stainless cladding , but hey if you own it you can do what you want . Thanks for posting the link .

8. Edward

Edward Member

That's the killer - making vintage technology releant to the "electronic gadget get paid benefits to sit & do nowt generation."

No offence to those young people that DO get stuck in on preservation projects!!!

Both of these A4's fulfil a purpose in helping to maintain the UK's profile in these two countries. Their role goes beyond pulling trains; as stated above, there are enough working RA9 LNER Pacifics in this country right now, and 4472 might not be too far behind.

9. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Which if true, makes the facebook group/petition somewhat pointless? :-k

I really can't understand why some people insist on thinking "it's british so it must be here". While it would be nice to have the two A4's and Waddon back there really is no need for them to be here. They are representing Britain's Railways in another Country. Wern't the two A4's given as gifts anyway? If so, bit unfair to say "you've got a bit of dust on our loco, it's british so we must have it back". Looking at past pictures the only thing i see wrong with 60010 is the amount of dust, which surely a quick clean would get rid of... (if there are more recent images of the A4 with broken bits or chipped paintwork then i stand to be corrected) but i hardly call that a huge neglect? When i went to the NRM in 2006 i remember looking up at Mallard and seeing black streaks/markings all over the top, so i can't see how 60010 is classed as worse with a bit of dust?

10. OldChap

OldChap Member

Off the 60010 topic again... but I'll post some pictures if anyones interested in 2839 and the Pullman that resides behind.

11. SG-Canada

SG-Canada Member

Land Use Planner

Yeah, if i drive up to Ottawa/Montreal this summer instead of taking the train up, i will make a point of driving over. I have wanted to go back since the new building opened, but summer weekends drift away and fill up so damn fast it seems.

It would do wonders for them if they were able to restore something to operational, or even run the John Molson replica more often provided its still steamworthy.

Maybe a summer with 2816 if they could convince the CPR, a summer of Saturday steam excursions from Lucien L'allier (as close to Windsor as you can get now) to Delson steam hauled would be a big seller i think. The CPR could use it for their community outreach and charity programs, and the museum to build awareness and hopefully funds for their own restoration projects.

BTW, i should say i recall visiting the WCRH Park many years ago when i first visited Vancouver in High School and took the Royal Hudson trip with BC Rail. I hear your group has been doing great work caring for the Hudson and with the new Roundhouse Centre. Hopefully i can get back out that way in the next couple of years again to re-visit.

12. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_metal_ ... 295778289/
    Looks like she could do with a good clean, but at least she isn't spread all over the shed in bits.
    As was said earlier in the thread she was a gift to the people of Canada, and what they do with her is entirely up to them.
    If there is something going on in the back ground to bring her back then we all need to be careful with what we say on here.
    You don't have to be personally involved for your remarks to have an adverse effect on negotiations.

13. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

i dont see the need to re-paint her as has been suggested...a good clean would leave her looking like a wroking engine resting rather than a museum piece with bright shiny paint..Id prefer the former

14. aldfort

aldfort Well-Known Member

Retired
    The articel in Steam Railway makes it clear the Canadians have no plans to give the loco back. As had been said it was a gift from one government to another so it's not up to the museum.
    Plus IMHO it would be really bad form to ask for it back as it was given as a gift.

15. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Hi all just how many ex BR locos are overseas.

Thanks

16. conireland

conireland Member

I'm a believer in having engines up and running, there are occasions where Heritage Railways in England don't have enough steam, and if it means restoring A4's to steam again, then bring it back home!

17. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

If you mean steam locomotives formerly the property of British Railways (as in the nationalised entity formed 01/01/1948 or so) then the answer is three - 60008, 60010 and 'Waddon'.

18. 1X99

1X99 Member

I would rather somebody restored it to its proper running condition in Canada and have it tour round the Rockies, than bring it back over here just to pootle up and down the NYMR or wherever. With the shipping costs alone you could kick start a restoration.

19. bhallett

bhallett Well-Known Member

The only thing I can say on this subject is thank god she is still with us - just wishing that 60011, 60012 and 60013 had been donated to their respective countries giving us 9 A4s.

20. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Ah, but what about 60009? Maybe we'd have 10 if Mr Cameron had bought a different one?