If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

60103 KX-YORK 25/2/2016

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by geekfindergeneral, Jan 30, 2016.

1. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

Love this. The number of times I've been 'bowled' by one of his trains means I could have flown to every country on earth at Mr Branson's expense:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35665284

2. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I think I saw a picture of Portillo from today with his Bradshaw's Guide so I assume 60103 will play a part in a future episode of Great British Railway Journeys.

Would it be reasonable to assume that we'll see footage of today's run on the Robson Green documentry (I think some bits were filmed during the ELR test runs with Robson).

I too will probably get some of the papers tomorrow.

3. KristianGWR

KristianGWR Member

An in profile shot at South Muskham, taken from my video, which should be live at on YouTube 5pm tomorrow.

Attached Files:

goldfish likes this.
  4. Macko

Macko Member

5. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Well, judging by the pictures, he seems to have balanced pretty well.

6. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Bradshaw died 80 years before FS was born, "Bradshaw said" hows he going to work that one in?

7. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    I meant the route more than the loco. Sorry should have made it clearer.

8. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

60103.001.jpg

The high res version of an A3 at speed.

Video to follow... once I've played around with the audio. Hopefully a bit of tinkering with the levels will sort those blasted helicopters out...

James

9. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

My video from today, and 60103 racing through the countryside at 75mph between Langford and Biggleswade.

James

10. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    An ex neighbour of mine took some shots of yesterday's positioning move at Offord between Huntingdon and St. Neots and I have now put them on Flickr.

There are four pictures and this is the first one in the Photostream :

[​IMG]RD12761. 60103 at Offord Cluny. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

11. jma1009

jma1009 Well-Known Member

can anyone please provide details of the crews yesterday on the wonderful run to York? i am pretty sure an old friend of mine was on the footplate as he is employed by DBS.

i thoroughly enjoyed the BBC and ITV news coverage.

a great day for UK steam!

cheers,
    julian

12. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

An interesting piece in the Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ets-off-for-inaugural-London-to-York-run.html

including a comment by David Court:-
    He has fond memories of handling the engine at full steam. Although the official speed limit was - and remains - 75mph, Mr Court and other drivers would regularly put her capabilities to the test.

"I shouldn't say this, but I took her to 96mph once," he said. "It was October 23, 2002, on the incline between Ferry Hill (sic) and Crox Dale (sic), south of Durham.
    UNQUOTE
    I'd not heard of that one, but it's definitely believeable. As an aside, almost 20 years ago I was on a run with Blue Peter on a different route, where we were travelling closer to 9 seconds/quarter mile than 10 (limit, even then, would have been 12 seconds/quarter...)

"I tried to take the old girl to 100, but I run out of track. Every now and then drivers would see what she could do, even though you were penalised if you were caught. But it made the passengers happy and it made me happy. And what can they do now that I'm retired?"
    UNQUOTE

Indeed :cool:

13. rule55

rule55 Member

Driver Paul Major, fireman Dave Proctor, TI Sean Levell, Kings Cross-Peterborough.

Driver Steve Hanczar, fireman Jim Clarke, TI Jim Smith, Peterborough -York.

Well done lads!

14. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Well done indeed and more to the point, well done to DBS for flying the flag for steam in a professional manner - e.g. no histrionics on departure at KGX. I can imagine that there might be an elder engineman in the Clarke family who was just a little bit jealous over where his son found himself yesterday!

15. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    But extremely proud as well....

16. 83B

83B Member

Yes, Don would have been very proud but not envious as once you hang up your boots, your out of here!

As for no histrionics on leaving the Cross, I am sorry but with a whistle like that, there is no chance for that. Even my partner who has not particular interest as what that squeaky noise was. When I told her it was the engine's whisle, she just laughed which says it all really. What was funny on BBC was some historic footage of Flying Scotsman in earlier preservation years, shown in black and white with what was clearly the sound of it speeding past with a GW whistle wide open!! Ha ha!

17. 83B

83B Member

I spoke to Mr Portillo just after he was filmed talking to the crew before departure. I asked him why his jacket did not match the brunswick green of FS. With a smile, he said he blamed his tailor who should have know better. Nice one Michael

18. 83B

83B Member

Sorry errors in my last post. Duly corrected.
    Yes, Don would have been very proud but not envious as once you hang up your boots, your out of here!

"As for no histrionics on leaving the Cross, I am sorry but with a whistle like that, there is no chance for that. Even my partner who has no particular interest in steam trains, asked what that squeaky noise was. When I told her it was the engine's whisle, she just laughed which says it all really. What was funny on BBC was some historic footage of Flying Scotsman in earlier preservation years, shown in black and white with what was clearly the sound of it speeding past with a GW whistle wide open!! Ha ha!

19. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Next time could the 67 be failed at york and replaced by 60163 , that just by chance happens to have been prepared and in steam,:):)
    now that would have made the price worth while

20. pjhliners

pjhliners Member Friend

Triumphant Scotsman flies back to York 25 February 2016

It was a red letter day in railway steam preservation when the most famous locomotive in the world made its proud return to its home as the people’s engine, the National Railway Museum at York.

Of course, it had only left the day before, after over ten years’ absence, a comprehensive overhaul at Riley and Son in Bury, then repainting and last minute snagging back at the museum. But a run north from London Kings Cross over the line that made it famous, the ex-LNER East Coast Main Line to York, was the proper way to mark the beginning of the next stage in its illustrious history.

And a fine sight she looked in her sparkling BR green livery as No 60103, as she was hauled into Kings Cross shortly after 7 am. We warmed the engine up by climbing slowly and steadily through the suburbs, reaching 49 at Potters Bar and 55 at Brookmans Park before some further checks before Welwyn. By Knebworth we were doing a mile a minute and reached 64 before Stevenage where we again slowed for signals.

Then, after passing Hitchin at 31, we were up to 73 at Three Counties, less than four miles on. Our speed continued in the 70s for over a dozen miles with a maximum of 77 at Biggleswade before the brakes were slammed on just short of St Neots because of mass trespass on the line. The sight of a man and a child standing in the fourfoot of the up slow, with their backs to any unit which might approach at 100 mph, beggared belief. After 10 minutes or so we resumed and reached 68 by Offord, passed Huntingdon at 59, Abbots Ripton at 62 and touched 69 before stopping for water at Holme.

We left 23 late from there and 30 late from the crew change at Peterborough. Our climb to Stoke was measured, in the 40s and 50s, but by this means we avoided being looped at Stoke Junction and flew down through Great Ponton at 67 to pass Grantham only 19 late. We shot out of Peascliff Tunnel at 65 and reached 76 after Barkston before being briefly looped at Claypole. After this we were through Newark at 63 and reached 71 at Carlton and 76 at Sutton. The run down to Retford was sedate, in the 50s, where we stopped for water at Babworth. We were soon up again to 66 at Scrooby and beyond Bawtry we were flying again, reaching 75 before Rossington and continuing thus to the outskirts of Doncaster, passed at 54 mph some 28 minutes late.

Speed rose to 67 at Shaftholme Junction and 72 at Moss before we had another stop of 18 minutes at Balne because of trespasser concern. We were back up to 69 by the junctions at Hambleton but were then mostly in the 60s, with 66 at Colton Junction before slowing for York, reached 53 minutes late.

It had been a fine run in fine conditions, with an engine in fine form, with all linesides and stations packed with onlookers. There followed a belated but celebratory return to the yard at the NRM, where after the customary speeches and Scottish piper, those present could get up close and personal with their engine, now to take pride of place in its permanent home.

24 photographs are at http://pjhtransportpix.zenfolio.com/p39096802

Peter on a sunny Manchester lunchtime
    http://pjhtransportpix.zenfolio.com