If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

60163 Real or Replica?

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Huff Puff, Jul 21, 2009.

1. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    OK fair points to an extent - the Didcot locos could be argued to be an extension of former GWR practice in many ways - am not aware of design comprimises on these - so not too concerned.

But returning to the main point where are the boundaries then if we are not to risk becomming an offshoot of Drayton Manor Park/Alton Towers etc in the end??

2. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

I can't imagine the original GWR would have rebuilt a very good engine to an inherrently worse design for purely cosmetic reasons... #-o

3. sirhectimere

sirhectimere New Member

No British steam locomotive with a current main line certificate is original nowadays, not with that noisy thumping air brake pump they aint!
    Sir Hectimere

4. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

What about the main line certified locos that don't have an air brake pump?

5. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    Air brakes? Now who in their right mind would want to fit the devils contraption to a loco with perfectly good Vac brakes? :-k
    Talk about belt and braces. ](*,)
    Mainline locos without that contraption strapped on to them, and running as God intended steam locos to run......I give you 5043,4965,9600,7029( [-o< soon) 4936 and 4953.
    No doubt others will be able to add to this list.

6. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles

Not all main line certified locos have a brake pump. Some are still vacuum only.

7. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Having given this question considerable thought, I have come to the conclusion that 60163 is a real replica. :smt003

8. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

If you want steam locos on the mainline in the 21st Century, you will have to put up with air pumps.
    Anyway, the rest of the world had/has them on steam engines.

9. Spamcan81

Training moles
    But we have steam locos without air pumps on the main line in the 21st Century. #-o ](*,)
    As for the rest of the world, India and South Africa use the vacuum brake although dual and airbraked trains exist there.

10. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

who cares what brake system they use so long as they are allowed to run on the main line

11. sirhectimere

sirhectimere New Member

But we are discussing what constitutes an original or a replica. If the fitting of a nameplate from a former engine on to a new one constitutes it being thought of as an original, as mentioned on previous emails, it must mean that such things are taken very seriously by some. Therefore major alterations to an existing engine, changing for instance something so basic as the braking system, must have a bearing on whether it would still be considered an original or not? The original Patriots were described as rebuilds of previous Claughton class engines, although if I remember correctly, only the driving wheels and a few odds and ends off Claughtons were incorporated into the first two Patriots, all the other members of the class being complete new builds. Then again some of those were later rebuilt with 7P boilers during their years of service, so are they still originals? They certainly can't be called replicas. Has 'Tornado' any bits of former engines bolted on to it? If so does it make her an original or indeed a few originals? Confusing innit?
    I am pleased that so many engines retain the original vacuum braking system, (thank you all for that information) but for how long I wonder?
    Sir Hectimere #-o

12. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

I can promise you, even though I was not there, that they were not a few hundred metres anything.
    However, they may well have been a few hundred YARDS apart!

13. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I read somewhere the air braking system on 60163 originated from a scrapped class 86. Does this mean Tornado is a replica Class 86 ?

14. I thought a forum moderator would have a bit more sense than to incite yet more froth with such a statement. #-o

15. ralphchadkirk

ralphchadkirk New Member Account Suspended

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke

16. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

I thought it was from a class 08 shunter?

17. Spamcan81

Training moles
    We've got 08 buffer bits on 34081 as well as Class 37 tyres on her tender wheels. Still makes her a Spamcan though. \:D/

18. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

:smt023

19. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    i dont know the answer but I assume that THIS is the reason why it doesnt need a yellow stripe on the cabside....can we expect a charter from Euston next?

20. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Is it class 45 or 47 wheels that are the Tender wheels of choice for many Barry Wrecks ?

I think I recall somewhere one of the BR standard groups bought a class 40 bogie to use the wheels for the tender and later did a swap with the CFPS for a class 45 bogie instead.