If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

60163 Tornado temporarily withdrawn.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by frazoulaswak, Jun 28, 2010.

1. detheridge02

detheridge02 New Member

Web Application Designer
    Fantastic news, I shall be joining as a covenantor momentarily! Glad to see she's back on her feet again. As mentioned on the A1 Trust website she's done 200 steaming days and 60 boiler cycles already in only a couple of years. In BR days a loco would never have gone this long between major overhauls or (as they had the luxury of back then) swapping the boiler.
    Its a credit to the A1 Trust just how little problems they have had with her, especially considering she's a brand new loco to modified drawings and modern technical requirements. You've only got to look at 4472's last appearances (or lack of) to show what state a loco can get into if not looked after correctly.

Well done for the hard work lads, hope she's soon doing you proud again!

2. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Good news from UKsteam: 60163 + support coach. Hither Green to Eastleigh and return Monday, 9th August.

Thanks to David Randles. <BJ>

3. creilly81

creilly81 New Member

Hi all,

Just registered and have a feeling this is the start of many posts! [​IMG]

I've been up to Regent Street in London today from Tonbridge in Kent. I kept a good eye open for Tornado on the way up, but it was obviously hidden within shed. However on my way home about an hour and a half ago, i'm pleased to report the whole complete assemble loco attached to tender appeared to be in light steam in the sidings just outside the main Balfour Beatty shed.

Good news all round. [​IMG] as i've followed this loco all round the country, tracking her progress and can't wait to get going again.

4. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum creilly, and thanks for the good news. It will be good to see her back out on the mainline again.

5. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Welcome, I hope you find posting (and reading ) here a rewarding experience! :)

6. creilly81

creilly81 New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words! Steam is in my blood and has been for all my 29 years, especially where Tornado is concerned. :cool1:

I've found a link that details timings of Tornado's loaded test run on Monday 9th August from Hither Green to Eastleigh and back for anyone that is interested here.

I'm just bitterly disappointed that i can't be there to witness her movements on the day because of work committments!!! :Cry:

7. Pannier Man

Pannier Man Member

Network Rail - Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Nice to see Tornado passing through Reading around lunchtime today.... With a train and 67 in tow!

8. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    The test run of Mon 9th was completed successfully and the engine is now back to full health according to www.a1steam.com
    The next trips are KX-York on Sat 14 and again on Mon 16th, then Bristol-Carmarthen on Mon 30th. Then follows an extended vist to the WSR Sat 4 to Friday 17 September. Also visiting the Mid Hants 21/22 August.

9. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Just typical of my luck. Tornado fails before the Bluebells 50th but is repaired in time to do a test run the day after. Its not the A1 Trusts fault just my unluckyness. Good to see Tornado back. Wonder when it will visit the Bluebell Branch Line Weekend 2011? Giants 2011?. I did notice that in November/December its hauling a Bath Christmas Market train (like Railway Touring Company) from Bedford to Bristol with Uk Railtours but I take it it won't be like RTC where it goes down the Brighton line.

10. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    Talking to the guard on one of the Imberhorne Shuttles, the A1ST would like to run 60163 in via the mainline connection with a revenue earning train. So, in £2.5m time.

11. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

If you want to see her in the South on a preserved line she is visiting the MHR again on 21st/22nd August.

12. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    I can't get over there. Don't have the money to go or how to get there as I don't have a driving licence yet though I would like to return to the Mid Hants soon. Last time I was there I visited Ropley with my Grandad funnily enough after seeing Tornado at Eastleigh on her first trip in the South (February last year)where I failed to get any photos of the front end of Tornado (same again at Edenbridge a year to the day on Sunday.). Got there in time to see Wadebridge arrive from Alresford and Bittern arrive from Alton and 850 in the wheeldrop shed just after it arrived.

13. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Just out of interest, and this is about as far of topic as you can get :redface:, but why doesn't anyone hitch-hike any more? That's how we got about when we were skint, and these days a 'low carbon' solution to boot! The only people I see by the roadside now are car delivery drivers.

14. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    You only need look at the news. Poor people who have been picked up and never seen again. It doesn't happen often, but often enough to make you not want to do it. Particularly if you're young like Dan and I, who are more usually the victims.

15. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    I went from Teesside to Paris and back in four days in the '70's. OK, I went with a mate, but at one point a French guy did drive off into a motorway picnic area and removed all his clothes ........ turned out he was just changing his workwear for something more casual. I do think your generation are over molly-coddled though - I don't beleive theere are really significantly more males getting abducted now than there were back then. I'm not advocating girls try this by the way, though plenty did in pairs back then - and they always had more luck than we did!

16. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

I doubt that there is any greater risk hitchhiking now than there was when I was an active hitchhiker in the 60s and 70s. The murder rate last year was the lowest for 20 years. Probably it would be much harder to get lifts now; the drivers will be scared of the hitchhikers!