If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

60163 Tornado temporarily withdrawn.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by frazoulaswak, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

On a lighter note, my brother was booked on the Canterbury Tornado that was cancelled in June, and that was to be "rescheduled to a new date".

Pathfinder have just told him the new date - June 18th 2011 !!! :eek:hwell:

Should be sorted by then!

2. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    What we seem to have forgotten here is that they are still really learning about operating Tornado, a completely new loco. This is another part of the learning curve.

3. 82045MS

82045MS Member

Membership Sec. 82045 Loco Trust
    What a pity! You are still welcome though, we`re a friendly group and welcome all to join us building 82045, contributions no matter how modest are VERY welcome! If you change your mind Bryan..............

Regards
    Barbara

4. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Bryan makes a very valid and interesting point. Most types of preservation, by their very nature, involve trying to make the uneconomic avoid going bust - you preserve something when it is deemed no longer suitable for modern use and this is usually because the moeny men have found a way to do the job that makes them even more money.

In order for this to work, there is in effect a partnership between those who actually do it (the volunteers and staff, many of whom are poorly paid by modern standards), benefactors (which includes ordinary members paying their subs, shareholders, those who contribute to appeals as well as the larger benefactors) and customers in more normal sense - passengers, those who use shops, tea-rooms etc.

None can enjoy the item preserved without the other, but in this increasingly selfish society we are carefully fashioning, based on "me,me, me" and everyone knowing their rights but being a bit vague on their responsibilities, there is an ever increasing risk that volunteers forget that without passengers to pay the coal bill, there is no train, members forget that the railway has run to attract a wider public than just enthusiasts and passengers consider that they are spending their well-earned on a day out and don't need to make any allowances for the organisation being run by people who are doing the job for nothing. All those views may have an element of not being unreasonable (another modern habit to to treat every complaint as reasonable and justified) but a bit of thought and consideration does show that not only does everyone need everyone else, but perhaps tha fact that it is in the customers that steam meets the wider public - and hence their enthusiasim is quite possibly less than that from volunteers and members and their judgement perhaps a little less forgiving.

Any organisation that has to at least in part operate as a business ignores its customers at its peril!

On the specific subject of information from A1SLT, has anyone thought that perhaps they are still researching the "why" and hence what action to take and consider that further comment until they have come to their conclusions would merely be repeating themselves? If that is the case, it is arguable that the wrong approach is being taken but silence does not autmatically mean there is a conspiracy or ill intent. Whatever Mr Murdoch and his fellow media barons may try to convince you about every aspect of modern life.

I don't know who said "divide and conquer" first but it seems to be a basic way in which the modern negative approach to everything works.

Steven

5. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Bit like the old East German jokes, when you had to wait ages for anything.

Man who ordered his new Trabant car in June 1965, gets a phone call in August 1968 from the car dealer. "Good news, you can come and collect your new Trabbie at 09.00 on 5th September 1972". Man looks in his diary and replies, "Oh damn, can't make that day, that's when the plumber is due here to fix a leaking tap".

Humour helps. Sometimes!

6. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    If the problems with 'Tornado's boiler are to be resolved with modifying it, then this could take some time. I can understand the trust's covenantors and donors being a bit miffed at the lack of communications from the trust but I should think they're a bit busy right now. Most - if not all - of the trustees are volunteers who are also holding down full time jobs. Just give them a bit of space.

Regards

7. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

Which is the correct answer, rather than bluster about not knowing what has happened.

8. dan-trumpet

dan-trumpet New Member

There has just been another update from the A1SLT. They haven't said what caused the problem, but there has been no damage to the boiler and it should be back in service on August 14th.

Meiningen works are apparently on their summer break and can't start work until the 26th, which may explain why the trust has been slow to release details.

9. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Ther A1SLT web site says this:

".....Tornado Update

Wednesday, 21 July 2010 13:58

The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust is pleased to report that all NDT of boiler plate work has revealed no defects, cracks or grooving and that following its summer vacation closure DB Meiningen staff will be on site with Tornado at Hither Green depot from Monday 26th July to assist with repairs and hydaulic testing.

It is anticipated that Tornado will return to active service on Saturday 14th August with 'The Cathedrals Express' from London King's Cross to York...."

Right. Everyone knows the situation now. And has an anticipated date of return to service. As mentioned earlier, I have no interest in this loco. But enormous numbers of others do. So I am very glad that all is a lot clearer to them now.

All we need now is a date for 35028 to be back in service.........

Oh, shut up Bryan.

10. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Bryan

Never , don't be too hard on yourself

Now how about a single chimney castle on the 8th August . Birmingham - Stratford and return

11. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

There you go then. No news from A1 lot, because there wasn't any news. Because some people were/ are on holiday.

I had to put up with a little taste of this "you're hiding information from us" harrasment last year when we were sorting Manston in Eastleigh Works.

12. Eightpot

Eightpot Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Engineer Emeritus

13. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

14. guycarr360

Wonder how feet stamper oakfield feels now.

Pretty stupid i would quess, no reference has been made to the "other" forum with gory details on the reasons for failure as quoted before.

Instead as many surmised, whilst the german boiler bods are on holiday, repairs cannot progress.

So no news at the moment, hopefully back mid august, repairs cannot be that bad (hopefully).

Lets get back on thread.

15. guycarr360

16. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Back to topic, (ME? bringing a discussion back to topic, whatever next you all ask.........)

I thought the A1 web site statement was news. It told us there why there was a delay and it gave us an anticipated date for the next main line outing for 60163. As well as giving an indication there was not a serious problem with the boiler.

Good statement. IMHO.

PS. I've been running a VW golf for some years now. Only problem is it didn't come with a couple of Bavarian Serving Wenches in the back seat. But I suppose the Wenches aren't allowed as far North as Wolfsburg.

17. Eightpot

Eightpot Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Engineer Emeritus
    For Oakfield and KentYeti.

Seems getting a Skoda was one of my better decisions. Alas, no Czech serving wenches come with Skodas either!

18. Groks212

Groks212 Well-Known Member

Bryan,

RTC are doing a 10 day railtour of Germany next month , including Bavaria.

As Mr Dobbing seems to like ladies in short tartan miniskirts on trips over here, maybe he'll be open to suggestions of Bavarian Wenches on that tour. :thumb: :biggrin1:

Nice to see that Tornado will hopefully be back in August, and I'm sure that whenever the A1ST discover a reason for the tube failures they will publish it in due course.

Dave B

19. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Do I get the feeling that you and this Bavarian Serving Wenches thing is getting to the unhealthy obsessional stage :tongue:. Perhaps a visit to a therapist might be a good idea.:rolleyes1:

20. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

You mean you've never had one leaning over you in a Bavarian restaurant while you tried to order your meal Ralph?

That's where it starts.

Then they have you hooked.

I just wish the stays that hold the top part of their dirndls up would fail occasionally. Even once every two years would be enough! Shock!