If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

60163 Tornado temporarily withdrawn.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by frazoulaswak, Jun 28, 2010.

1. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Dirndls...Is that a Technical term ?..., what is the female equivalent of Lederhosen, You know, the full 'Heidi' mashins....

2. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
  3. Groks212

Groks212 Well-Known Member

4. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    Nowt wrong with products from the VW Group. My sister has one of those Skoda Roomsters. I've used it a couple of times, great little machine.:tea:

5. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Enough about the products of VW group etc guys! I agree they are great - I have two now and have had several through the years - all have been good but at the end of the day this has nothing to do with Tornado and is off topic! Can we get back on topic and stay that way!!!

6. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    ^^^^^^^
    Hear hear!

7. dp266

dp266 Member Account Suspended

Project Management
    OK, so what is Tornado? No diresepct to the guys at A1ST who built it, but if it was a proper Peppercorn A1 it would have a good old British Boiler meeting Peppercorns specifications. OK a bit more expensive but buy cheap buy twice. So if it's not built to spec is it really a Peppercorn A1 or is it a new fangled foreign boiler disguised as a Peppercorn? I accept that some modern modifications were made but the fundamentals should essentially be the same.

8. Pete Thornhill

But I thought that there was no where in the UK that could of actually build the boiler so what else were they supposed to do?
    As for modern modifications, you could not build a boiler to the exact Peppercorn spec these days as the regulations have changed - Hardly the fault of the A1st! I think that they have got the balance right myself.....

9. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

Now there is a company who have made what appears to be a superb job on Flying Scotsman's inner firebox......................... but at then end of the day it all comes down to time and money.

10. dp266

Project Management
    Other posts on this thread say that a British Boiler was an option but at a higher cost and longer time... Yes I accept modifications were required for modern running. However, did boiler stays break on genuine Peppercorn A1's?

11. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

But how long has it took, and how far over budget is it?????

Its like the Taj Mahal, old 4472, will be top job when finished though..

12. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    I think you can say without fear of contradiction that boiler stays did break on the original Peppercorn A1s. Boilers have stays, stays break sometimes, it's as simple as that.

13. Pete Thornhill

In short the answer is yes they did. Boilers of all types have suffered problems like this over the years wherever they were built the difference being in the old days rather than making headlines it was routine maintanence. It's as simple as that so can we leave it at that. The FACT is wherever the bolier is built these things happen. End of.

14. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    I doubt if anyone can answer that sort of question, 60 years ago a loco had a problem and was failed, another was whistled up from the pool in the shed and covered the duty, the failed one disappeared into the works and a bit later emerged fixed, and few even missed it.

15. dp266

Project Management
    OK, to be more specific did multiple boiler stays break within such a short time? I'd wager not...

16. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    How many stays have 'broken' then ?

17. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

In fairness to Meiningen they have continued to build steam locomotive boilers of size over a period when in the UK none were being built . When the order was placed I suspect that the business' who could have built it were a little more limited and full credit to LNWR's , Tyseley's , Pridhams, Bridgnorth's and Riley's who in a relatively short period of time have made some significant strides in Boiler overhauls , but none so far have built a boiler of Tornado's size

Do you place an order for more money with someone as above or go with someone who has the skill and technology to build a "modern" boiler and get the engine built and running ina cost effective manner

18. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

The only way I can think you'd find out is if any maintenance/repair records have been kept. And/or if anyone from a maintenance depot is still around and can remember.

It's not something most of us enthusiasts ever got information on. If one loco failed another would turn up in it's place as Ralph has said. And only if we were timing a particular driver's whole shift, (as happened a lot in later SR steam days), would we usually get to know the reason a loco had failed mid shift. Hot box or steaming very badly were about the only reasons I can remember. Plus the day John Gaffney had a Standard 5 on the down Bournemouth Belle. So he failed it at Bomo on some made up pretext so he could get a pacific for the up Belle and give us a better run. Only the replacement loco he got was another Standard 5 in worse condition than the one he had failed!

So broken stays were something most of us never had any knowledge of at all.

19. keith6233

keith6233 Member

Engineer

20. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer