If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

60163 Westbury to Canterbury, 26/06/2012

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by free2grice, Jun 26, 2012.

1. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

I was told they will be hiring the SRPS rake again soon so hopefully things will improve.

2. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

They need to @ £100 per seat. This tatty rake does not present the correct face of the movement to the passenger.

3. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Through Tilehurst 21.43, talk about full regulator! I think it must of been latched to the cab roof, you could hear it half way to Pangbourne. Hardest I've heard an engine work for a long while.
    As an aside it seems FGW were totally in chaos tonight in the Thames Valley with local trains either cancelled or heavily delayed. Seems it was due to another "person hit", unfortunately an all too common occurrence these days.

Edit.
    Seems this was the problem on FGW tonight, although Tornado was not really affected.

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/n...0579-trains-delays-after-person-hit-by-train/

4. Yorkshire Exile

Yorkshire Exile Member

Codger and retired trustee of A1SLT
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    16 down at Challow water stop

5. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Tornado was reported 21 mins late leaving Swindon en route to Westbury. <BJ>

6. eco082007

eco082007 Member Account Suspended

Group Compensation and Benefits Advisor, Bath
    Yes, I was on it, and my last train to Weston-super-Mare overtook us during the pathing stop at Challow annoyingly. Departed Reading on time pretty much but suffered slow running after that due to adverse signals which made us late.

7. KristianGWR

KristianGWR Member

[video=youtube;KF2DW5xeF7s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF2DW5xeF7s[/video]

My footage of her at Swindon on the outward and return legs. On time for the outward and 18 late for the return. Still though, the noise she made departing Swindon into the night was glorious!

8. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Apart from the whistling & the fact it was already moving, that is an a par of what it was like at Tilehurst I mentioned earlier. The driver seemed very enthusiastic.

9. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well not quite true Buseng, surely you're aware that the Green Train belongs to West Coast who don't operate The Cathedrals Express anymore and have been replaced by DBS who, unfortunately have a "rainbow" of carriages at times on certain tours but least SD are getting their own stock next year so hopefully it will be back to something more respectable.

10. eco082007

eco082007 Member Account Suspended

Group Compensation and Benefits Advisor, Bath
    I think SD are more concerned with the internal rather than external condition of the carriages they use which is probably the right way around given it's their passengers riding on the train, and probably quite oblivious to it's colour they need to please rather than onlookers. The internal condition of the stock used yesterday appeared to be better than average to my eyes and the standard class seat I was sat in, which I think had been resprung, felt comfortable and supportive rather than an instrument of torture as is often the case with "tired" mark 1s elsewhere.

11. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Couldn't agree more eco082007, but I was pointing out to Buseng that SD have changed operators so therefore the stock has changed as well. Glad it was a comfortable ride too.

12. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

The green train had that infamous buffet with 8 square wheels...you could hear the buffet coming before the loco..
    And a network rail replacement train fitting the track back in place behind it !