If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 46118, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Out of interest, are these cracks dry (ie partially through) or wet (fully through the plate)? If it's the former it might be that they've just been noticed during an exam. They can be quite hard to see unless you go looking for them. Dry cracks in tubeplate ligaments/bridges are quite common and in BR and earlier days would probably just be kept under observation until they either broke through or the loco went into works for a scheduled overhaul. A form of repair was to insert a copper bush into the surrounding tubeholes and hammer over the ends to cover the crack. All things that were routine in the past but no longer acceptable today. Without the knowledge of seeing the job, copper welding should be a relatively easy repair.

2. The Crimson Pirate

The Crimson Pirate Member

What makes you think there are.?

3. The legend

The legend New Member

Railwayman
    What makes you think there are.?[/quote:1fa0x0uc]

Martin banes photo's that are doing the rounds on the old email!!

4. boldford

boldford Member

The only useful thing I can add is that these defects were not detected when the locomotive was inspected prior to being used for HRH's trip betwixt Kidderminster and Bridgnorth.

5. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

I install Commercial and Domestic Oil Tanks all ov
    I personally wish the 6024 crew all the best in repairing her as what we should all remember she's a fine engine and is looked after very well by her team, so we can enjoy her.
    I also hope she'll be repaired in time for the TE's as was looking forward to these, pity she's not appearin in the gala though.

6. Thanks Scorpion. Your remarks and best wishes are appreciated by all the 6024 team.

Anyone coming to WSR Gala come and say hi!

FC

7. 60124Kenilworth

60124Kenilworth New Member

Will look out for you, Shirley, and the rest of the 6024 gang either Sat. or Sunday.Cheers Alan and Mark.

8. and i'll be looking out for u too!

FC

9. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

I install Commercial and Domestic Oil Tanks all ov
    I'm unfortunately not going to WSR this time as I'm planning on going later in the year this time, so I'll probably see you at Kingswear again in July

10. duracell1969

duracell1969 New Member

I think if it had stayed at tyseley the two meanleys would have picked up at the problem.But never mind i hope all is sorted soon..must keep the GWR fleet going.

11. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Any further news regarding 6024's next few tours? Will they be postponed, cancelled or will another loco deputise? The Carmarthen run is just 3 weeks away, so I'd guess a decision on that one, at least, is immanent. I'd like to hear that 6024 will work them as planned, because that would indicate the tubeplate problems reported before are not too serious and will soon be repaired. However, that dosen't seem likely at the moment, does it?

12. boldford

boldford Member

Whilst followers of this loco may find the silence frustrating I suggest the reason why no statement has yet been made is because the support group has not completed the assessment of the defects. I'm sure all will be revealed in the fullness of time.

How long has the tubeplate been in the boiler and how much work has it done?

13. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

UKsteam.info now shows "TBA" for the loco on 18th April.

14. channel

channel Member

Assistant Harbour Master
    A letter from Past TIme Rail today confirms the trip on April 18th is cancelled.

Cj

15. burnettsj

burnettsj Member

I believe that the tube plate is the ex BR tubeplate.

I was also believe that King tubeplates only lasted 3 years in BR service.

Stephen

16. boldford

boldford Member

Which suggests fair wear and tear. Now to decide to repair or replace.

17. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

3 years seems short - but is credible.

The Swindon records for more lowly, though just as hard working, GW 4-6-0's extremely well known to certain recent contributors show that for a boiler constructed new in 1942, though actually put in service in march 1943, new copper half sides, copper door plate & copper tube plate were provided in april 1947.

The same treatment was repeated in 1952, 1955 & (possibly) 1961,1964.

It is known that Swindon replaced these plates quite often compared to other regions, but given their resources & cost awareness it was probably cheaper to replace rather than carry out short term repairs. This and the relatively rapid withdrawl of GW locos greatly helped the presevation movement by providing quite a number of boilers which (in the '60s/70's/80s/90s) still had considerable life left in them.

In 2009 we should not be surprised that new copper plates are becomming necessary - the surprise is that they have lasted this long. This will be another factor which limits the number of servicable locos as new plates such as this are not a small inexpensive job - ask a working member of the 2857 society or visit their website if you don't believe this!!

18. IKB

IKB Member

Deleted.

19. Robbo

Robbo Member

20. Robbo

Robbo Member