If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 46118, Mar 14, 2009.

1. pseudonym

pseudonym New Member

Is anyone going to open a book on how bad this tubeplate problem really is? From the photos I'd say pretty serious although I'd like to be wrong.

2. The Ghost of Ned Ludd

The Ghost of Ned Ludd New Member

I don't believe speculation will achieve anything.

3. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    With three railtours cancelled to date, the firebox problem is proving to be rather expensive. The sooner the results of the tests are received and examined by the 6024 society the better. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. <BJ>

4. pseudonym

pseudonym New Member

I've just heard from a normally reliable source that it could even need a new tubeplate. Ohmygod! They don't last for ever.

5. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

An earlier post on this thread (March 19th) refers to some photographs (presumably of the tubeplate) "doing the rounds". However the News Update referred to above says in part:-

"16th April, Williton, "...currently no problem has been confirmed and tests so far have proved inconclusive. Discussions with the relative authorities have taken place and we are proceeding with further investigations to ascertain if any problem exists or not."

Is it fair to say therefore that the problem, or at least the extent of the problem is not yet known, despite the speculation above?

6. The Ghost of Ned Ludd

The Ghost of Ned Ludd New Member

Interesting. My normally reliable source says there could be nothing wrong with it at all.

At the end of day, until the owners (who are in the best position to know the facts) say either way then the speculation means nothing.

7. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It wouldn't be the first time people have jumped to the wrong conclusions over the condition of a boiler. I can think of two others in recent times. Being cynical, I wonder if there's any connection again? But, as has been said, let's wait for the owners to let us know.

8. littlenobby

littlenobby Well-Known Member

student (6th form) Part time job at the Co-op!
    I have a normaly reliable sauce too!
    It says Heinz on the bottle it comes in ](*,)

9. Robbo

Robbo Member

Any news on the King? It would be nice to know if the tour on 13th June is likely to go ahead...

10. Robbo

Robbo Member

No news on the King then.....

11. King.6024

King.6024 New Member

Is there any recent news on how the work on 6024 is progressing? i hope she is out again soon [-o<

12. free2grice

Past Time Rail are still advertising their 13th June tour with the King. Both of the 6024 websites have no adverse bad news and so, as they say, no news is good news. <BJ>

13. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    Saw it outside Wiliton shed looking a little grubby (to be expected after time in works) less than a week ago... The Water Wagon was at Washford...

14. Umseke

Umseke New Member

Sorry to be annoying about this, especially after being chastised over asking for 'more' information on the 6229 move to York but looking back over almost fifty years of railway ( mainly steam ) interest I cant help but notice how many groups are less adept at giving out information than asking for money to finance their project. Maybe that is partly why the Tornado group was such a breath of fresh air.

15. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    Playing the devil, the people behind Tornado kept details of some moves and dates for display secret too. I would imagine the reason few details are about re:6024 would be more to do with the fact that the people involved are far from home, now that the loco is down in the West country.

16. Robbo

Robbo Member

I have booked, and paid for, 2 seats on the Flying Carpet trip with 6024 on 13th June. As it is little over 2 weeks before the tour it would be nice to know if it going ahead or not. Surely PTR are in contact with the 6024 group, and are in a position now to decide whether to go ahead with 6024 or seek a different loco. If cancelled, at what point do Network Rail have to be advised a path is no longer required?

17. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Past Time must be very close to that decision right now. If 6024 is not available (I'll be pleasantly surprised if she is), they have three choices, don't they?
    1) find an alternative loco for 13th June
    2) postpone until either 6024 or a replacement is available
    3) cancel
    The fact that nothing has been said yet about postponing or cancelling make me think they are trying to arrange a replacement for 13th June. Since Sir Nigel Gresley is at Didcot at the moment, to work The Cathedrals Express from Banbury to Chester on 6th June, also replacing 6024, it occurs to me to wonder if she might also deputise on the 13th? When was the last time an A4 worked from Paddington? Other candidates would be 5029 or 34067. The deciding factors are usually gauging and support crew availability. On the former, I would think that anywhere a King can go, a Castle, A4 or Bulleid could go too...

18. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

"The Flying Carpet" is no longer listed on the Past-Times website.

19. Robbo

Robbo Member

Looks like it's cancelled or postponed then Paul. Not exactly unexpected though. I'll probably hear from PTR soon if that is the case. Hope 6024 will be back on the mainline soon.

20. free2grice

Apart from the Torbay Express, 6024 has no booked railtours for the future. The Torbays are shared with Nunney Castle and Tornado. As Tornado is booked for the July Torbays, 6024 will have to wait until 2nd August for any possible work. <BJ>